Boring Canberra

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boring Canberra

Originally Posted by copa
$1200 per month for food!! wow!! I spend around $600 per month for my family of four.

We also eat well.. hmmmmm... fooooood.... must put the slow cooker on..
We're a bit obsessed with food in my family. It's a wonder we're not all morbidly obese. Well, I can still get out of bed and make my way to the kitchen .

Seriously, we like eating fish and that can set you back $15-$20 for three. Throw in a good bottle of chardonay, some artisinal cheeses and that fancy ice cream that comes in 1 litre tubs and you'll be needing a chat with your bank manager.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Thanks Quoll. I see now that most of Floriade is concentrated in the one area - makes it easier.

(I do prefer myself to spend the day in the hardware section of Bunnings, but...............)
Ah, I was going to suggest Bunnings or Magnet Mart
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:30 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Budawang
We're a bit obsessed with food in my family. It's a wonder we're not all morbidly obese. Well, I can still get out of bed and make my way to the kitchen .

Seriously, we like eating fish and that can set you back $15-$20 for three. Throw in a good bottle of chardonay, some artisinal cheeses and that fancy ice cream that comes in 1 litre tubs and you'll be needing a chat with your bank manager.
buy some fold up chairs...a few fishing rods and park yourself on the ege of one of the lakes!

Have you been to the fish outlet at the belconnen markets? ... good range and very popular..
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

buy some fold up chairs...a few fishing rods and park yourself on the ege of one of the lakes!

Have you been to the fish outlet at the belconnen markets? ... good range and very popular..
Yep, I go there regularly. It's very good - much better than the one in Belconnen Mall called D'Acostis which isn't always fresh. The farmer's market in Mitchell on Saturdays is good fun although not necessarily cheap although you can get a 10kg bag of oranges for $6.

Plenty of carp in Lake Burley Griffin.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Well we have decided to go for it! OH signed the contract a couple of days ago Thanks for everyones help on this thread I don't think I would have felt quite so confident that it was the right thing to do if it weren't for all of your honesty about the cost of living. I agree with those who said it was going to be tight but we are prepared for that and I will be looking for a job once I have my son settled in school - was hoping for an easy life but there we go some things are not meant to be!!! So yet another question - I have been looking at the areas and I know some of you have already suggested places and thanks to those that suggested Allhomes -but what would you say are the real areas to avoid?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Claire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really nice

Oh good luck Faircity....you've taken that first step it 's all madness from here !!
Eve just realised I've been "chatting" on another thread with you...ha ha...think I'm doing too much of this
Still not heard back from the meds by the way....am going slightly insane now
Take care
Claire
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Originally Posted by Claire W
Oh good luck Faircity....you've taken that first step it 's all madness from here !!
Eve just realised I've been "chatting" on another thread with you...ha ha...think I'm doing too much of this
Still not heard back from the meds by the way....am going slightly insane now
Take care
Claire
Thanks Claire - well look on the positive side and the old saying that no news is good news! I am in the middle of painting the house to get it on the market - oh the joys!!!! Nice to chat to you anyway! Let me know when you hear anything!

Speak soon!
Lynne
x
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Faircity
Well we have decided to go for it! OH signed the contract a couple of days ago Thanks for everyones help on this thread I don't think I would have felt quite so confident that it was the right thing to do if it weren't for all of your honesty about the cost of living. I agree with those who said it was going to be tight but we are prepared for that and I will be looking for a job once I have my son settled in school - was hoping for an easy life but there we go some things are not meant to be!!! So yet another question - I have been looking at the areas and I know some of you have already suggested places and thanks to those that suggested Allhomes -but what would you say are the real areas to avoid?
Good luck with the move!

Avoid Charnwood, Narrabundah (the Fyshwick side, the Griffith side is OK), Richardson for sure. Be a bit careful with Conder, Chisholm, Isabella Plains, Rivett, Gilmore & Evatt too IMHO - ie check out the neighbours and the neighbourhood!!! You get more bang for your buck housewise the further out you go but there are swings and roundabouts by way of services and travel times. I'd also tend to avoid Queanbeyan and Jerrabomberra (both are NSW and there can be complications with respect to ACT services if you want to access them and J is right under the flight path for the airport but does have nice houses.)
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point

oh good luck lynne - hope everything goes smoothly I cant really give you any advice about where to live as we just chose the first rental we got accepted for (the first one we applied for too). We was on a campsite in a trailer tent it was very windy, cold and a pain in the ass, needless to say we was abit desperate. Luckily we like where we are and we have lovely neighbours (next door popped round with box of choccies for my b'day and a pressie for my daughter, really kind I thought)
The rentals we found are all the same price really 3 beds around $380 - 400 a week although we have got a 4 b/room.

Claire good luck with the meds maybe you could ring up and ask if they have been sent. I'm sure if theres any problems with them they would have rang to see you again before now.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks both you have been a great help all the way through this! We knew we would be more likely to be paying the $400 a week especially for the nicer areas. We are really lucky and are getting quite a bit of help from OH's sponsor to the extent that for the 1st 6 weeks they are going to be arranging an apartment for us - so that saves me worrying about that one! I have been on Allhomes every couple of days just to see what is about and now I can narrow the field down a bit more! We are just playing the waiting game now along with everyone else but we are all excited.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:50 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Faircity
Thanks both you have been a great help all the way through this! We knew we would be more likely to be paying the $400 a week especially for the nicer areas. We are really lucky and are getting quite a bit of help from OH's sponsor to the extent that for the 1st 6 weeks they are going to be arranging an apartment for us - so that saves me worrying about that one! I have been on Allhomes every couple of days just to see what is about and now I can narrow the field down a bit more! We are just playing the waiting game now along with everyone else but we are all excited.
you can now look at google street view and "drive" around the streets looking at the house from street level
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

you can now look at google street view and "drive" around the streets looking at the house from street level
Oh that sounds good - my OH is going to love you for that one! I spend most of my days looking at things now we know where we are going! Will try that out tonight.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LOL yes, that will give you some idea about the neighbours Just dont look in our backyard (self sufficiency = say no more!!!)
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Claire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really nice

Oh yes , I have been to work on a few occasions.....hope I enjoy it as much if we actually get there ?!!!
Claire
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Claire W
Oh yes , I have been to work on a few occasions.....hope I enjoy it as much if we actually get there ?!!!
Claire
Hey Claire - I used it last night I was on there for hours OH gave up on me and went to bed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.