Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boring box question....

Boring box question....

Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:49 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Boring box question....

Sorry for such a dull question, but my shipper is out of his office until Monday, and we need to do a fair bit of packing this w/e.

How much is a teachest allowed to weigh max?

Ours currently are up to 36kgs, which is pretty damn heavy. I am a whimp however, so im hoping these tough ass removal guys won't mind. Is 36kg ok?

Also, we are shipping a huge number of books. Do you guys just lay them out in the bottom of the cartons, or do you protect them in anyway?

Cheers

Pete.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boring box question....

Originally posted by PeteY
Sorry for such a dull question, but my shipper is out of his office until Monday, and we need to do a fair bit of packing this w/e.

Ours currently are up to 36kgs, which is pretty damn heavy. I am a whimp however, so im hoping these tough ass removal guys won't mind. Is 36kg ok?

Also, we are shipping a huge number of books. Do you guys just lay them out in the bottom of the cartons, or do you protect them in anyway?

Cheers

Pete.

Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:54 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Watch out for nails - they can tear into books, as can splinters.

Dunno about the weight, but 36kgs isn't that heavy - we had boxes that weighed quite a bit more than that.

Bring ALL your books - apart from the fact that they're 'best friends' they're also bloody expensive in Oz, especially reference books.... If you're shipping in a container than you're paying for volume, so don't worry about the weight. I packed all of our books (a couple of '000) in smaller boxes - each weighed about 20kgs.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:54 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
LOL you cheeky sod

I think i deserve some packing tips after that little outburst eh HP
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:55 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Cheers

Pete.
It doesn't matter how much your tea chest weighs, It's all about the size.

We packed books as they were and they survived the journey.

Some of the things smell a bit when you get them though, clothes etc. They smell fusty from the ship!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pete

When we packed ours I'm pretty sure the max weight for the tea chests was 40Kg so you're doing okay. The removal guys have those nice trolleys anyway so it'll be okay.

I shipped alot of books as well and we were given special book boxes which were half the size of a tea chest. If you can't get hold of those then I would lay a towel in the bottom of the tea chest and then flip the end over the books so they were all covered if you know what I mean?! Failing that put a layer of bubble wrap on top. Mine travelled really well and the covering just stopped any scratches etc.

Good luck!
Rachel
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:57 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by downunderpom
Watch out for nails - they can tear into books, as can splinters.

Dunno about the weight, but 36kgs isn't that heavy - we had boxes that weighed quite a bit more than that.

Bring ALL your books - apart from the fact that they're 'best friends' they're also bloody expensive in Oz, especially reference books.... If you're shipping in a container than you're paying for volume, so don't worry about the weight. I packed all of our books (a couple of '000) in smaller boxes - each weighed about 20kgs.
Thanks for that. Might have to ring the shipper next week to see if we can get some smaller boxes. As it is at the moment we have too many books and not enough "bulky" items to fill out the teachests.

I noticed that books were really pricy out there too, but i also saw lots of pretty good 2nd hand bookshops. Hopefully they'll keep me and the wife in reading material!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

LOL you cheeky sod

I think i deserve some packing tips after that little outburst eh HP

I don't own anything nearly so grand as a tea chest!!

I didn't protect the books in anything - they just went in a strong box. I guess the thing to be careful with is not to overload the box....books can be so deceptively heavy, as I'm sure you know - in fact I half-filled some boxes with hard back books and then lay things like...erm...teddy bears ...on top to keep the weight down, but fill the box!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 11:05 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I didn't protect the books in anything - they just went in a strong box. I guess the thing to be careful with is not to overload the box....books can be so deceptively heavy, as I'm sure you know - in fact I half-filled some boxes with hard back books and then lay things like...erm...teddy bears ...on top to keep the weight down, but fill the box!
Hey! You brought YOUR teddy bears, too? (Okay, so they're my wife's Millenium Bears, but we refer to them as 'the Boys'.

Strong boxes - definitely. Mine were about 16" x 12" x 6". You'll have bulging biceps (or a slipped disk!) by the time you get out here, Pete!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 11:06 pm
A Male Member

I got told off for that with the first box i did. Half filled with books and then topped up with the wifes collection of stuffed toys. Apparently the stuffed toys can be "wedged", so i had to take em all out and re-fill with other bits, then "wedge" in a couple of bears, a lion and a moose.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by downunderpom
Hey! You brought YOUR teddy bears, too? (Okay, so they're my wife's Millenium Bears, but we refer to them as 'the Boys'.
You are obviously a SNAG!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 11:18 pm
I like kittens.

You are obviously a SNAG!
Them's fighting words, mister!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 11:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bring the teddies! They'll love it!! So far I have 4 bears, a tiger, 2 penguins and Eeyore, plus the furry snake! All waiting impatiently for the others, who are coming by ship - about 30 of them, various shapes and sizes! My rabbit will arrive last - he's 38 years old and my mum is doing him a new waistcoat to wear in oz 9the moths got the old one).
I did half-filling boxes with cuddlies and books and it was no problem - kept the weight down in individual boxes.
The advice my shippers gave me was to remember that someone has to be able to lift each box - so I figured if I could lift it, I'd be ok.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Pollyana
Bring the teddies! They'll love it!! So far I have 4 bears, a tiger, 2 penguins and Eeyore, plus the furry snake! All waiting impatiently for the others, who are coming by ship - about 30 of them, various shapes and sizes! My rabbit will arrive last - he's 38 years old and my mum is doing him a new waistcoat to wear in oz 9the moths got the old one).
I did half-filling boxes with cuddlies and books and it was no problem - kept the weight down in individual boxes.
The advice my shippers gave me was to remember that someone has to be able to lift each box - so I figured if I could lift it, I'd be ok.

How did you get that lot past quarantine?
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:00 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by Pollyana
That's the criteria I was going to use, then my wife said 'You're a weightlifter, idiot!', so I made sure SHE could lift them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.