Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boring box question....

Boring box question....

Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They all had their own little visas to show to the nice quarantine people of course! The rabbit could be a problem though, as he'll be coming in alone by post - will have to write a nice letter for the customs man!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

According to most Aussie males there is no such thing as a boring box.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 1:57 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boring box question....

Originally posted by PeteY
LOL you cheeky sod

I think i deserve some packing tips after that little outburst eh HP
Pete, I've been racking my brains all afternoon as to how I can get back into your good books.

The best tip I can come up with is make sure you have some travel plugs to hand when your furniture arrives. It took us weeks to change our 45 plugs and in that time we had to keep swapping out the UK adapters so we could plug in the lamp/computer/toaster/TV. I could have done with a couple more adapters with me to be honest.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:26 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Pete, I've been racking my brains all afternoon as to how I can get back into your good books.

The best tip I can come up with is make sure you have some travel plugs to hand when your furniture arrives. It took us weeks to change our 45 plugs and in that time we had to keep swapping out the UK adapters so we could plug in the lamp/computer/toaster/TV. I could have done with a couple more adapters with me to be honest.
Much cheaper option - bring your 4-way adapters, and just change the plugs on the end of those. I'm STILL using mine for my computer setup and TV setup.

BTW, don't tell anyone you are changing the plugs yourselves - they have silly rules here about electics.

Sorry, HP, you'll have to try harder to get back in Pete's good books!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Much cheaper option - bring your 4-way adapters, and just change the plugs on the end of those. I'm STILL using mine for my computer setup and TV setup.
Yes, that would have been a good thing to do....but I didn't think of that at the time !!!...altho doesn't work too well when the appliances are in 4 different rooms!

How can they have rules about electrics when they don't even have plugs with fuses!!??
Old Nov 7th 2003, 4:14 am
Home and Happy

Thats why they do it - cos they reckon its safer to get a "professional" to do it as there is no fuse protection. My Bloke nearly blew a fuse himself when I talked about changing plugs - such a horrified look, you'd have thought I'd suggested rewiring the house! And to think I was so proud when I changed my first ever plug......

One useful tip he has said though - because storms here are more violent and frequent, its well worth using the surge-protected plug boards, whether its the UK ones or Oz ones. I have adaptors on all my stuff, running into an Oz surge-board.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 8:23 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Much appreciated at this rather stressful 3 weeks to go and 4 weeks work to do point in time!

HP, ok ok, they say its the thought that counts and if you racked your brains all afternoon thats good enough for me Ta.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 9:03 am
Badge

no worries mate - come around for dinner and a cuppa.

Badge

Old Nov 7th 2003, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Pete

Its a fab feeling once your stuff has gone, just a pain in the butt that there is nothing to sit on while you twiddle your thumbs.

Lynn
Old Nov 7th 2003, 2:28 pm
WBB

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
According to most Aussie males there is no such thing as a boring box.

Old Nov 7th 2003, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by janeyray
Some of the things smell a bit when you get them though, clothes etc. They smell fusty from the ship!

Good tip is to put a sheet of the tumble dryer stuff "Bounce"? in amongst your clothes/linen
Old Nov 7th 2003, 5:47 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Sorry for such a dull question, but my shipper is out of his office until Monday, and we need to do a fair bit of packing this w/e.

How much is a teachest allowed to weigh max?

Ours currently are up to 36kgs, which is pretty damn heavy. I am a whimp however, so im hoping these tough ass removal guys won't mind. Is 36kg ok?

Also, we are shipping a huge number of books. Do you guys just lay them out in the bottom of the cartons, or do you protect them in anyway?

Cheers

Pete.
42kg is acceptable. any more than this and the boxes,will gerneraly burst under the weight. small book boxes ,[1 cubfoot] are good ,[not from the super market] ask your shipper to supply you with the correct cartons for the job, small layer of books on the base of cartons is ok, top up with lighter items, overloaded, cartons do more damage,than any other thing........... MM
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:27 pm
WBB

Originally posted by mr mover
42kg is acceptable. any more than this and the boxes,will gerneraly burst under the weight. small book boxes ,[1 cubfoot] are good ,[not from the super market] ask your shipper to supply you with the correct cartons for the job, small layer of books on the base of cartons is ok, top up with lighter items, overloaded, cartons do more damage,than any other thing........... MM

so it is official, mm likes a small box.

Old Nov 7th 2003, 8:23 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
so it is official, mm likes a small box.
sch'nizun-tite ........... MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.