Reload this Page >

bored-bean campervans????

bored-bean campervans????

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bored-bean campervans????

HI bored,

you mentioned campervans in one of your posts and I was just wondering if you could share a few of your experiences. We have two pre-schoolers and are thinking of travelling round in one for a couple of months. Although can't decide if caravan and car would be better or not? Any advice?

Pott
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 2:32 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: bored-bean campervans????

Originally posted by pott
HI bored,

you mentioned campervans in one of your posts and I was just wondering if you could share a few of your experiences. We have two pre-schoolers and are thinking of travelling round in one for a couple of months. Although can't decide if caravan and car would be better or not? Any advice?

Pott
Well we've hired campervans twice now for trips around Oz. First time was just the 2 of us in a 4wd camper, the second was with a friend (3rd person) in a 4 berth Maui. Some thoughts;
It's lovely to stop wherever and have a picnic with table, chairs, fridge and the luxuries of a camper
It's nice to have cold drinks in the fridge all the time.
It's nice not to have to worry about leaving something in a hotel room when you move on.
The shower we had used up all the water in the tank and the dirty water tank needed emptying after one use. Not good unless you're plumbed in.
If you want to go into town you have to pack it all up or walk.
Making up beds before you go to sleep is a pain, worse if it's high up.
Roof top bunks are hot and claustrophobic, and I'm not (very) claustrophobic.
Campervans have the overtaking ability of a slug.

I would recommend Big 4 caravan parks www.big4.com.au Membership gets discount on their caravan parks, Maui & Britz campervans.

There are lots of cheap motels, and self-catering cabins at caravan parks.

A car & motels/cabins would be quicker and give you more space in the evenings. It would also allow you more freedom of movement in the evenings or a long stop in one place.
A campervan would give you more luxury whilst you were moving, and the convenience of a toilet and kitchen in out of the way places. There would also be less hassle packing up, and you can always put the kids to sleep whilst driving.

For a family of 4 I would recommend the Maui 4 berth that we had. It would be cramped for 4 adults tho'.

Don't book via a UK agent, ring direct (preferably the branch) and there are good deals. The central booking agency take their comission, as do the main travel agent and then your local agent, plus they build in for currency fluctuations. It's cheaper to ring the branch direct, and as mentioned you can get further discounts with membership cards.
Have a good trip. It's a great way to see the country.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 2:40 pm

Whoops wasn't reading properly. Well in theory you can't use a caravan (at all) whilst moving so I'd go for the campervan. Of course with a caravan you just park it up and use the car. I suppose it's halfway between car only, and campervan.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 2:55 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

A few years ago we travelled around the whole of Australia in an old VW Combi that I bought and had the best time of my life. Had no dramas whatsoever as the camp sites are very clean and modern ( more so then this country ! ) and very cheap about $10-$15 a night. A campervan without water wasn't a problem as the campsites also have all the facilities for showers, laundry and even cooking. Just make sure you have a electric hook up for the van for the fridge and kettle etc.
Other then that take a tent incase you feel like sleeping outside the van for a change.
S.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 5:42 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: bored-bean campervans????

Originally posted by pott
HI bored,

Pott
Hi,
We have had the same idea with a view to plugging in a lap top and letting the kids watch dvds if we have a long way to drive.
I don't think it works out cheaper than hiring a car then staying in motels, but we just thought it would be more convienient and the kids (6 and 9) are bursting with excitement at the prospect!
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 7:05 pm

Originally posted by h garrett
Hi,
We have had the same idea with a view to plugging in a lap top and letting the kids watch dvds if we have a long way to drive.
I don't think it works out cheaper than hiring a car then staying in motels, but we just thought it would be more convienient and the kids (6 and 9) are bursting with excitement at the prospect!
From memory there is only 12v not 240v available whilst unplugged from the mains. There was one cigar socket in the front but a couple of places in the rear to pick up 12v if you know how. A small inverter off the 2nd battery would power a 240v laptop easily, but might require a little mucking around. We also had the same thought. The wiring of course referred to the Maui van that we hired, you may find otherwise.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 9:18 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bored_bean
From memory there is only 12v not 240v available whilst unplugged from the mains. There was one cigar socket in the front but a couple of places in the rear to pick up 12v if you know how. A small inverter off the 2nd battery would power a 240v laptop easily, but might require a little mucking around. We also had the same thought. The wiring of course referred to the Maui van that we hired, you may find otherwise.

The lap top will plug in to the cigar lighter, we do it in the car. I guess we just need to make sure its long enough! Are you overthere already, or in the process?
Old Apr 24th 2003, 9:37 am

Originally posted by h garrett
The lap top will plug in to the cigar lighter, we do it in the car. I guess we just need to make sure its long enough! Are you overthere already, or in the process?
Spent a month there for christmas. Just waiting for the blood test results to post medicals and police checks off. I hope to be in Brisbane by end of September.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

geehaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Snitzy,
Sounds just like what we plan to do in 4 weeks time! We've already validated our PR visas last year and now plan to "emmigrate" in 4 weeks time. Have already arranged for a 1974 camper at the other end (family connections) and intend to spend 4/5 months travelling in it. Our plan right now is to kick off in Melbourne (where we pick the van up) and go clockwise. Any more tips/advice from you would be great. How many miles per day were you averaging and how long did you take to "do" Oz?

Gee
Originally posted by Snitzy
A few years ago we travelled around the whole of Australia in an old VW Combi that I bought and had the best time of my life. Had no dramas whatsoever as the camp sites are very clean and modern ( more so then this country ! ) and very cheap about $10-$15 a night. A campervan without water wasn't a problem as the campsites also have all the facilities for showers, laundry and even cooking. Just make sure you have a electric hook up for the van for the fridge and kettle etc.
Other then that take a tent incase you feel like sleeping outside the van for a change.
S.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 12:45 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Gee
Most excellent !! Can't really give you too much advice as I'm sure you will just choose your own agenda as and when it happens. Although a few tips I learn't are:-
If your camper is a T2 VW ALWAYS keep the oil to the max and check everyday.
I found I didn't really need the stove or water tanks but a good fridge is essential.
A tent is handy to slept in outside when its hot in the van.
Get a bumper book of camp sites.
My average mileage varied as we stopped at tourist sights that were always signposted along the highway ' longest, tallest... in the world etc ' which is good but did 12 hours along the Nullabor as it's v. boring and just wanted to get to the other end as there is nothing to see.
I took about 3-4 months which was probably a bit quick. The one and only place I would recommend as a must see as you will see most things anyway is 'Esperance' on the SW corner in WA. It's absolutely beautiful if you like white sand and blue sea.
Cheers
Simon
Old Apr 24th 2003, 5:28 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by bored_bean
Spent a month there for christmas. Just waiting for the blood test results to post medicals and police checks off. I hope to be in Brisbane by end of September.
We have just sent all medicals and police checks back, but we have reached a hitch with our assurance of support, a $1,200 hitch. We are asking another person to do it and should hopefully be there in mid september. Good luck with it all
Heather
Old Apr 24th 2003, 6:09 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

My mum and dad went around Oz in 1987 with me (5) and my brother(3).
It took 4 months.
We had a campervan. If we stayed somewhere 1 day we slept above our parents (in hammock sort of things, just under the roof) and if we stayed longer (usually) then we had a special tent attached to the back of the campervan with two campbeds.