Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Border Control ... featuring Mr Bermudashorts

Border Control ... featuring Mr Bermudashorts

Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:36 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Border Control ... featuring Mr Bermudashorts

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well I dropped an email to DIAC yesterday and got a response this morning in which they have said it is all very odd and they don't know why there should be a problem with NZ immigration.

They sent me a copy of the visa grant leter again and a screen shot of some system showing his visa is in order. We will take that with us too when we are flying home.
That's good that DIAC responded so promptly and have made some effort to try to ensure that your way home is easier!

Good luck with the trip when it happens!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Well I dropped an email to DIAC yesterday and got a response this morning in which they have said it is all very odd and they don't know why there should be a problem with NZ immigration.

They sent me a copy of the visa grant leter again and a screen shot of some system showing his visa is in order. We will take that with us too when we are flying home.
So are you home now? What happened?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
So are you home now? What happened?
Do they have internet access in detention centres?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We are still in NZ at the moment.

We will attempt to re-enter Australia tomorrow.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

OK so they were not actually filming today when we arrived in New Zealand but Mr Bermudashorts did experience some visa troubles at immigration. We are a little worried and wonder has anyone else come across something similar.

We are here in Australia on PR visas and our understanding was that this meant we had free passage to New Zealand. So we arrived here this morning with nothing more than our British passports and Australian visa.

Unfortunately Mr Bermudashorts' visa did not "show up in the system". Supervisors were called over and we thought we would be sent packing. We asked them to check mine and it was OK so I got my residents stamp. Eventually they asked him to amend his landing card so it did not say that he was an Australian PR and they let him in on a visitor visa.

Obviously he has used his visa to enter Australia as we have been living there since July, but this is still a little concerning for us. Should we be worried?
When I entered NZ 3 years ago with my Aus PR visa, NZ immigration just gave me a 6 month tourist visa stamp, they didn't ask me any questions.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnye
When I entered NZ 3 years ago with my Aus PR visa, NZ immigration just gave me a 6 month tourist visa stamp, they didn't ask me any questions.
They should have given you the NZ PR stamp. I got it, but they said Mr B's (Australian) visa is not recognized in their system, so we are worried about getting back on plane to Australia now!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

They should have given you the NZ PR stamp. I got it, but they said Mr B's (Australian) visa is not recognized in their system, so we are worried about getting back on plane to Australia now!
Thats what I thought but they gave me the tourist stamp and said nothing - weird
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I rang Centrelink yesterday, as my youngest child had been removed from their records for the child care rebate. They looked up my record and then asked if he was in Australia, as there was no record of him re-entering the country after our trip to the UK last year. I told the Centrelink person that his father and I often wish that the little one was out of the country. Obviously Immigrations's records are not as good as they could be.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I rang Centrelink yesterday, as my youngest child had been removed from their records for the child care rebate. They looked up my record and then asked if he was in Australia, as there was no record of him re-entering the country after our trip to the UK last year. I told the Centrelink person that his father and I often wish that the little one was out of the country. Obviously Immigrations's records are not as good as they could be.
Wow, and they're meant to have tight border control. May be just that they are disorganised!!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
Wow, and they're meant to have tight border control. May be just that they are disorganised!!
I had a bit of a job persuading Centrelink that he was indeed in Australia - they found it difficult to believe that Immigration's IT system didn't work and they were reporting it back to Immigration. Worrying, though, isn't it, when you think about terrorists and other undesirables being tracked, or Mr Bermudashorts being stuck in NZ. Even worse, that a child could be taken out of the country and not returned and no alerts raised!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are safely back on Australian soil. Unfortunately in Melbourne and will have to hang around here for three hours for connection, Mr B now claiming he was never worried.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

We are safely back on Australian soil. Unfortunately in Melbourne and will have to hang around here for three hours for connection, Mr B now claiming he was never worried.
You weren't in Christchurch by any chance?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We were, it was our last stop of the trip. I can't believe we were there only three days ago, I came back and was saying that it looked in good shape after the (previous) earthquake.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We were, it was our last stop of the trip. I can't believe we were there only three days ago, I came back and was saying that it looked in good shape after the (previous) earthquake.
How scary!