Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you could get your visa tomorrow.....

View Poll Results: Would you move to GAFA if it gave you your visas & flights tomorrow?
YES - but only cos I had exhausted all other options and I dont have children
6.25%
YES - I'd rather do my 'servitude' in OZ than the UK.
18.75%
NO - I'd hate to 'trapped' like that.
56.25%
Altho’OZhasbeenmydream4years,&mykidseducationisu berimportant,Icouldn’tbeawayfromthem4solongeachy ear
0%
Other, please explain.
18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

If you could get your visa tomorrow.....

Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:18 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you could get your visa tomorrow.....

without having to go through skills assessment / TRA etc, etc,

no questions asked - just here's your visa, you're on a flight & welcome......

..... but all of this was conditional on having to spend a minimum of 3 years in GAFA country.....

Would you do it?

Or would you rather go through a 3+ years of application and skills assessment (if you even eventually qualify) so you can live where you want when you want from "day1"?

Clarification:

GAFA = Great Areas of F%^& All, and is waaaay beyond regional. You'd literally kill for regional if you were GAFA.

Its living in Hicksville, population <300, nearest other town is 200 mile away and your job requires you to travel around the nearest 4-5 towns to get your salary - this might be a 1200km weekly trip. The local school is non existant after PS6, so for high school you have to send your children to boarding for 8+ months every year.

What if its your only chance to get to Australia? You've tried and exhausted every other opportunity.

Would you do it> Or would you rather stay where you are?

Does it make a difference if you are in UK? US/Canada? Europe? Africa? India? Asia?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could get your visa tomorrow.....

I'm already here but Would love to live and work out whoop whoop... For a while.. One horse one nurse town would suit me just fine...

Be off like a shot if i could still afford the mortgage and to keep my home in rocko....
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:42 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol at GAFA. We've spent close to 8 years living in woop woop, redneck wonderland, beyond the black stump call it what you like it's rural remote, not quite the isolation you describe but after 8 years we're about ready for a change. I love the peace & quiet but the current lull in construction is making things difficult
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:46 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I don't qualify for the poll. I'm already in GAFA and love it!

We call it MAMOAN - mile and miles of absolutely nothing.

It ain't quite the end of the world but you can see it from here.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:03 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

LOL - MAMOAN!!!

not heard that term before but it perfectly describes a previous project I worked on. It wasnt quite GAFA, but I never knew how to describe it. MAMOAN is perfect!

Hubby works FIFO at GAFA and sees the most amazing things. I'm so jealous and would love to do something like that but unfortunately there's no call for my particular skills out there
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:54 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
so for high school you have to send your children to boarding for 8+ months every year.
Where do I sign up?

Living in the middle of nowhere really wouldn't bother me. I used to live in the middle of Wales so I know all about having no amenities

Himself works in Sydney CBD and we live as far away as he can commute without it meaning he spends all his time travelling (admittedly that's only 90km outside Sydney - but its 90mins on a train. If there was a faster train line we'd live further away)

We've talked about moving further out once he retires.

Proviso: it would have to have a broadband connection, or at least the ability to have a reasonable speed internet connection.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Alex30B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
without having to go through skills assessment / TRA etc, etc,

no questions asked - just here's your visa, you're on a flight & welcome......
Yes! I'd snap their hand off