Books? Where?

Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

ebyron is on a distinguished road
Default Books? Where?

HI,

We've been here for awhile now and still haven't managed to find anywhere that I can easily get hold of 'normal' paperbacks at a good price. I keep ordering from Amazon back in the UK instead!! Has anyone come up with a solution to this? More than happy to go down the second hand route....

xx
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books? Where?

Originally Posted by ebyron
HI,

We've been here for awhile now and still haven't managed to find anywhere that I can easily get hold of 'normal' paperbacks at a good price. I keep ordering from Amazon back in the UK instead!! Has anyone come up with a solution to this? More than happy to go down the second hand route....

xx
Google The Book Depository - highly recommended.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Either the book depository or amazon and do a bulk shop. I order loads of books at once off amazon so that the shipping isnt too high because sometimes with the shipping it still works out cheaper than the other online no shipping places. Sometimes they do really really cheap paperbacks so well worth doing!

I dont know about anywhere else, but around North Sydney where I work, there are often discount book shops set up, either in unused shops or just on a table in the shopping centre, they are also quite a bit cheaper than normal bookshops, but the choice isnt as good, and you never know when they are going to be there. They seem to have similar stock to the book people - if you ever had them come to your office in the UK?
Old Aug 14th 2009, 5:05 am
ABCDiamond

The 4 Twilight books at KMart in paperback version, all four would have cost me $76.21.

I ordered those four books in the Hardback version for $74.70, from www.bookdepository.com with free postage.

The current FX rate is making the UK prices much cheaper.

Secondhand books however, are very cheap, and there are often large book sales held by local groups, Scouts etc

Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Tearose will become famous soon enoughTearose will become famous soon enough

I havent tried bookdepository ? Are they ok ? I agree the books over here are so very expensive, I left all mine behind when I came over, wish I'd packed more now.

KMart often have offers on, and I reckon they are one of the cheapest stores here, Angus & Robertson are ridiculous, I have ordered from Amazon, but now I've found out about the depository I'm going to check them out.

Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

HI,

xx
School fete's - often one on nearby somewhere - often can get a plastic bag full for $2 - all quality reading of course
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Have used Book Depository & thought they were great!
I did do comparison prices & they came out best on that too!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Have used Book Depository & thought they were great!
I did do comparison prices & they came out best on that too!
Book Depository are great. Their Search thing is pretty lousy but you can always use Amazon first to find the book, then once you have the exact details get it from Book Depository
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

also try

abebooks.com and select australia and new zealand down the bottom haven't used them over there yet as i am not there but use them in the u.k all the time .
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Yes I also use amazon & Book Depository. If doing a small order, Book Depository tends to work out cheaper, but sometimes their books are a wee bit more expensive than Amazon. So if doing a larger order, Amazon can work out cheaper. Just do the shopping basket with your order on both sites & see what the final cost works out to be....
Old Aug 27th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

HI,

xx
Book Depository has 10% off (via email) untill Sept.10th

Highly recommend http://www.betterworldbooks.com/ for good
second hand books in Trade or Hardcover ,cant go past Book Depository for mass market paperbacks.

Searching books printed in UK look up
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: Berkshire, UK for now... flying to Brisbane 11th June!
Jane and Jason has a spectacular aura aboutJane and Jason has a spectacular aura aboutJane and Jason has a spectacular aura about

So what happens to all these books that are being bought from Book Depository etc, does everyone just keep them, or do you pass them on to other people? Surely there must be scope for some kind of book swap 'thing', as there must be loads of finished books lying around!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

I have tried to order many book on Book Depository and everytime I try and order something its out of stock ~ my last search was the Australian book of Birds (readers digest) and I've tried to order Excel Study aides but always out of stock ~ has anyone else found this with this site?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Jane and Jason
So what happens to all these books that are being bought from Book Depository etc, does everyone just keep them, or do you pass them on to other people? Surely there must be scope for some kind of book swap 'thing', as there must be loads of finished books lying around!
There are quite a few massive secondhand book sales in our area, and other areas from what I hear.
Often organised by the local Scouts group etc.

They have very cheap secondhand books, and lots of them available.

eg: 11/12 October.
Sunrise Book Fest by Rotary Club of Redland
Thousands of quality pre-loved books will be on sale in the IndigiScapes conference room during the club's second BookFest for 2009.

Categories include children's, adult fiction and non-fiction, soft and hard cover, travel, computers, health and well-being, cooking, craft, hobbies, romance etc. plus quality 'coffee table' books. Prices start at just 20c. Proceeds go to Friends of IndigiScapes and to worthy community and international Rotary Projects.
http://www.rotarycapalaba.org/bookfest.html

Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

www.booko.com.au

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/15861

Last edited by scrubbedexpat020; Aug 27th 2009 at 1:10 pm.