Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Booking flights - don't believe the brokers!

Booking flights - don't believe the brokers!

Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Booking flights - don't believe the brokers!

Little cautionary anecdote for anyone looking at buying flights to Oz. The most common way that people buy their tickets these days is via an online broker such as eBookers, Travelbag, Expedia or Last Minute, or through someone like Asda or Thomsons. Whoever you choose to use to book your tickets, there is one rule - just because they say a date/flight is fully booked - doesn't mean it actually is. All it means is that their access to tickets on that flight is full.

For instance - I've been on to eBookers, Travelbag and Expedia looking to get us our fllights on around the 11th of July. First problem is that it turns out the 11th of July is *the* day when the cost of flights goes up for the summer - they don't drop until mid September. Second problem is that most of the reasonably priced flights with the good airlines had gone - I didn't fancy flying via Auckland either. In short, the brokers couldn't help me. So out of curiousity I checked the actual airlines own sites. What do you know - plenty of flights available at reasonable prices at the time we wanted to go - that goes for Malaysian, Singapore and Cathay. So - if you get the 'sorry that flight is full' line - try the airline's own page just in case. You might well be surprised.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 1:25 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Booking flights - don't believe the brokers!

Originally Posted by Hutch
Little cautionary anecdote for anyone looking at buying flights to Oz. The most common way that people buy their tickets these days is via an online broker such as eBookers, Travelbag, Expedia or Last Minute, or through someone like Asda or Thomsons. Whoever you choose to use to book your tickets, there is one rule - just because they say a date/flight is fully booked - doesn't mean it actually is. All it means is that their access to tickets on that flight is full.

For instance - I've been on to eBookers, Travelbag and Expedia looking to get us our fllights on around the 11th of July. First problem is that it turns out the 11th of July is *the* day when the cost of flights goes up for the summer - they don't drop until mid September. Second problem is that most of the reasonably priced flights with the good airlines had gone - I didn't fancy flying via Auckland either. In short, the brokers couldn't help me. So out of curiousity I checked the actual airlines own sites. What do you know - plenty of flights available at reasonable prices at the time we wanted to go - that goes for Malaysian, Singapore and Cathay. So - if you get the 'sorry that flight is full' line - try the airline's own page just in case. You might well be surprised.
Good point , shopping around is always worth the time and effort
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:20 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Very good point just booked flights for 12th August, and did the usual EBookers, and all the other online ones available, felt like I was online for days finding prices, checked Singapore Airlines online and they were coming out on one £850 cheaper :scared: and on the cheapest I could get else where £400 cheaper, my local travel agent price matched the quote to which was good!!

Just felt spending just under 3 grand I wanted to speak to someone rather than book on line!! I did ring Singapore Direct but their quote again was £450 more than it was quoting on line???

Also we wanted to go on the Saturday and everyone was like "Oh that is so much more expensive, more taxes to pay etc etc" but direct with Singapore it was the same price all week?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:27 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

For instance - I've been on to eBookers, Travelbag and Expedia looking to get us our fllights on around the 11th of July. Second problem is that most of the reasonably priced flights with the good airlines had gone . In short, the brokers couldn't help me. So out of curiousity I checked the actual airlines own sites. What do you know - plenty of flights available at reasonable prices at the time we wanted to go - that goes for Malaysian, Singapore and Cathay.
That's exactly what happened to us when we booked the flights for our reccie trip last year: according to Travelbag the flight we wanted was full. But there were seats on it when I looked directly at the Singapore website. And there was also no difference in price between Travelbag and booking directly with Singapore.

Gina
Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:27 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

what has probably happened here, is that the airlines have different seat classes and they are all class 'lettered', ie, one special offer might be for 'M' class on singapore airlines. now if that class if full, it means that that specific special offer is full. but within literally seconds, 'M' class might show in the system again (as the booking system is worldwide, somebody in an agent in tokyo might be holding the seats, hence they disappear off the system).

so, if an agent checks for a certain special offer which has to be booked say in 'B' class, and its not there, they might say its full, meaning that that special offer is full, rather than the flight. people/agents/operators also often book/hold seats which are never taken up at the time of the flight, which is the reason that many airlines overbook the flight, because they know they will have 'no shows' for the flight.

hope this makes sense?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Booking flights - don't believe the brokers!

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
what has probably happened here, is that the airlines have different seat classes and they are all class 'lettered', ie, one special offer might be for 'M' class on singapore airlines. now if that class if full, it means that that specific special offer is full. but within literally seconds, 'M' class might show in the system again (as the booking system is worldwide, somebody in an agent in tokyo might be holding the seats, hence they disappear off the system).

so, if an agent checks for a certain special offer which has to be booked say in 'B' class, and its not there, they might say its full, meaning that that special offer is full, rather than the flight. people/agents/operators also often book/hold seats which are never taken up at the time of the flight, which is the reason that many airlines overbook the flight, because they know they will have 'no shows' for the flight.

hope this makes sense?
It does, yes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some travel agents and brokers have a list of "preferred" airlines, and simply will not divulge information about available flights with other carriers.

I learned this the hard way some years ago, when attempting to book through Flight Centre.

The woman on the phone swore black, blue and purple that the only available flights were the ones she was offering me, but when I got off the phone and did a little digging around, I found several offered by alternative carriers with no connection to Flight Centre.

I also went back over the exact words used by the woman on the phone, and realised that she had managed to give the impression that no flights were available, without actually telling me a downright lie. But I have to say that the margin between truth and falsehood was extraordinarily narrow; little more than semantic, in fact.

Moral of the story: don't believe the hype.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It does, yes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some travel agents and brokers have a list of "preferred" airlines, and simply will not divulge information about available flights with other carriers.

I learned this the hard way some years ago, when attempting to book through Flight Centre.

The woman on the phone swore black, blue and purple that the only available flights were the ones she was offering me, but when I got off the phone and did a little digging around, I found several offered by alternative carriers with no connection to Flight Centre.

I also went back over the exact words used by the woman on the phone, and realised that she had managed to give the impression that no flights were available, without actually telling me a downright lie. But I have to say that the margin between truth and falsehood was extraordinarily narrow; little more than semantic, in fact.

Moral of the story: don't believe the hype.
Happened to my Dad - his company travel agent swore that the first flight back from Shanghai to Doha then UK was the one she told them - via Manilla! This while they're stuck at the airport late at night because they'd missed their flight out. Whilst at the airport the next morning waiting for the flight to manilla, a direct one to Doha left. You can imagine, he was spitting chips. So yes, definitely check around!!

I always search all the internet sites, then end up booking direct with Emirates. I should skip the searching and save myself the effort, but i'm terrified I'll miss something!!