Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Booking flights before visa though!!!

Booking flights before visa though!!!

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Booking flights before visa though!!!

i am due to start work in Sydney in Feb. My 457 visa application is in progress, have had medicals so just waiting. When i applied it said online that applications were taking approx 2 months.
Am I silly to be booking flights and accommodation before i have visa? I know i should wait but i am due to go 1st week in Jan and booking temp accom in the form of an apartment rental may be harder the longer i wait as it's peak season.
Any thoughts?
H
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booking flights before visa though!!!

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
i am due to start work in Sydney in Feb. My 457 visa application is in progress, have had medicals so just waiting. When i applied it said online that applications were taking approx 2 months.
Am I silly to be booking flights and accommodation before i have visa? I know i should wait but i am due to go 1st week in Jan and booking temp accom in the form of an apartment rental may be harder the longer i wait as it's peak season.
Any thoughts?
H
We have flown quite a lot with Singapore Airlines and they allow you to change your flights at no cost (unless you change from say low season to peak season) so you could book them and always move them if you need to. We have changed flights numerous times (long story) and it has never been a problem.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 10:43 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mand8002
We have flown quite a lot with Singapore Airlines and they allow you to change your flights at no cost .
They may allow you to change, but it depends on what ticket you bought (and potentially where you bought it). Most airlines will do you a changeable ticket, but you'll pay more for it than for the cheapest fares.

Cheers
b
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benlast
They may allow you to change, but it depends on what ticket you bought (and potentially where you bought it). Most airlines will do you a changeable ticket, but you'll pay more for it than for the cheapest fares.

Cheers
b
Not necessarily. We always book the cheapest fare with Singapore Airlines and have changed them with no charge. The one time we booked through Expedia, they would not let us change it but my husband rang Singapore Airlines about it and they contacted Expedia to tell them to change it as they do not charge these companies for the change either.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, don't feel as though I'll be taking a silly gamble now!! Just want to feel as though I'm getting there too!
4 and a bit months and counting!!!.........
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

hi helen

i have done that as well
i have only got 9 weeks to get sorted.
it was a relief to check that i could change the ticket date but i have no refund if i cancel...so i'd better get that visa!

good luck

debbie