Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Booking flights before house sale completion

Booking flights before house sale completion

Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:53 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Booking flights before house sale completion

Hi.

Has anyone every been caught out by booking their flights BEFORE they have completed (but after an offer - obviously) on the house sale and then the potential buyer pulled out?

If so, how did you cope with the situation?

I can't help thinking that if we leave booking our flights until a few days before we leave then the prices will be much higher than booking well in advance?

Cheers.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booking flights before house sale completion

One option is to get tickets that can be amended. They usually charge a fee but at least you don't have to buy new tickets.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:05 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
One option is to get tickets that can be amended. They usually charge a fee but at least you don't have to buy new tickets.
Nice idea but the cost of changeable tickets would probably be much higher than those that can be bought at ebookers.com and airline-network.co.uk etc.

I'm not sure web-based sales are changeable before departure?
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Nice idea but the cost of changeable tickets would probably be much higher than those that can be bought at ebookers.com and airline-network.co.uk etc.

If you buy from singaporeair.com they will change them at no cost providing it is within the same season, they also said if it's not it is only a small fee.

E-mail them like I did and you will have that in writing.

Also in my experience booking direct with singapore airlines is a lot cheaper than any of the quotes I've ever had from e-bookers and airline network.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:09 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't risk it, so many people pull out at the last minute, especially if they know you are moving abroad.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

OK I guess it was wishful thinking.

What about signing up with all the airlines for their airfare email updates - sometimes there are last minute specials.

Well we're going to be in the same situation as you. So I guess we'd better have luck on our side
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:18 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked on singapore airline online site to test a few things.

I typed in

departure manchester to melbourne

2 adults and 2 children

departure 20th march 2006 (last minute) 1785 pounds

departure 20 october 2006 1880 pounds.

I don't see that by booking early or late will affect things too much.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:20 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by furkew
I just checked on singapore airline online site to test a few things.

I typed in

departure manchester to melbourne

2 adults and 2 children

departure 20th march 2006 (last minute) 1785 pounds

departure 20 october 2006 1880 pounds.

I don't see that by booking early or late will affect things too much.
We are after business class fares (to make the trip a little easier with our 1 year old boy) and it seems that the cheapest fares are only available via sites like Ebookers.com.

I'll try the same thing with Ebookers though.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't you just wait until exchange of contracts? You don't have to wait for completion. Once you're exchanged, then you're legal.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:26 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by iPom
Why don't you just wait until exchange of contracts? You don't have to wait for completion. Once you're exchanged, then you're legal.
Hmmm, I think I was confusing completion with exchange. Sorry. Exchange normally happens about 2 weeks before completion right?

Cheers again.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

Hmmm, I think I was confusing completion with exchange. Sorry. Exchange normally happens about 2 weeks before completion right?

Cheers again.

Exchange happens first and it's usually a week afterwards for completion.

If you're selling then you are the ones who tell your solicitor what date it's all happening. It's not up to the buyers to decide.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:33 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

If you're selling then you are the ones who tell your solicitor what date it's all happening. It's not up to the buyers to decide.
Tomorrow then. Done deal.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

The solicitors and buyers might need a little notice.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Booking flights before house sale completion

Hi
We asked and got 4 weeks between exchange and completion.
This gave us plenty of time to sell/give things away and get ready for shipping.
As soon as we exchanged we booked the flights and hubby resigned at work.
Shippers due here 23rd so need to pull my finger out as we move out on 27th!

HTH

AnitaB
Old Mar 16th 2006, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

A word of warning - just because you've exchanged doesn't mean you're home and dry.

We were supposed to complete on a Friday but didn't actually complete until the following Tuesday :scared: Our solicitors served Notice to Complete on our buyers but the problem was an Indian "gentleman" at the bottom of the chain. We were worried that the whole thing was going to fall through and, in the end, agreed to waive our claim for interest on late completion (together with a sum for additional mortgage interest) just to get it all to go through safely.

We were OK as we were living in a rented place prior to flying out but our poor buyers ended up with all their furniture in our garden as we couldn't release the keys to them until the money came up the chain......

Was a complete bl**dy nightmare!