Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're gonna buy instead of build

We're gonna buy instead of build

Old Mar 15th 2006, 10:42 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default We're gonna buy instead of build

We got really in to our decision of building our house but have had a complete change of choice and have decided to buy somewhere already established. Working as a hairdresser in an area where alot of new builds are happening right now I get alot of conversations on how many problems people are having before, during and after there build. I guess just about every company has been named more than once and I really can't be doing with the stress just now. I'm finding it fairly hard to settle in the first place. So we made the decision to buy last week. We've only been through about 12 houses up to now, seen some really nice ones but not nice enough or ther'd be too many changes we'd want to make. Then along came yesterday.... On my way to work I viewed 2 houses, first one I thought was worth a 2nd look with hubby. 2nd one is my ideal home. Very similar to the house we were gonna build, this put me of the first house I viewed but have arranged a 2nd viewing today on the 2nd house I viewed. And believe it or not, now I feel settled. Just knowing that we're in a position to lay down roots, get out from living with the MIL, which to be honest hasn't been half as bad as expected, and finally get out there, meet people and have neighbours of our own. It's taken just over 6 months for me to feel good about being in Australia but it has finally happened and what's a bad 6 months when I've got the rest of my life to enjoy out here!
Anyway, there you go, that's what's happening with me and mine. I know I haven't been around alot lately but roll on having my own house with our own pc!!

Marie
Old Mar 15th 2006, 11:14 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're gonna buy instead of build

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
We got really in to our decision of building our house but have had a complete change of choice and have decided to buy somewhere already established. Working as a hairdresser in an area where alot of new builds are happening right now I get alot of conversations on how many problems people are having before, during and after there build. I guess just about every company has been named more than once and I really can't be doing with the stress just now. I'm finding it fairly hard to settle in the first place. So we made the decision to buy last week. We've only been through about 12 houses up to now, seen some really nice ones but not nice enough or ther'd be too many changes we'd want to make. Then along came yesterday.... On my way to work I viewed 2 houses, first one I thought was worth a 2nd look with hubby. 2nd one is my ideal home. Very similar to the house we were gonna build, this put me of the first house I viewed but have arranged a 2nd viewing today on the 2nd house I viewed. And believe it or not, now I feel settled. Just knowing that we're in a position to lay down roots, get out from living with the MIL, which to be honest hasn't been half as bad as expected, and finally get out there, meet people and have neighbours of our own. It's taken just over 6 months for me to feel good about being in Australia but it has finally happened and what's a bad 6 months when I've got the rest of my life to enjoy out here!
Anyway, there you go, that's what's happening with me and mine. I know I haven't been around alot lately but roll on having my own house with our own pc!!

Marie
We had a similar change of heart. Were all for building, but heard so many horror stories about these companies that we were seriously put off. It also doesn't help that the area we're moving to only has sub-division plots or blocks on marshland and you quickly realise it's not worth the ball-ache. That said, the builder who extended my parents house did a terrific job to a very high standard and we'll be giving him a call if we see any houses that take our fancy but need tweaking.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 11:31 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

We did the same thing, we were going to build but with the hassles involved decided to buy. We bought our house last september and got a bargain! It was only 2 years old but the owners had done nothing to it from new. We painted, tiled the floors, carpeted and put in a pool. We had it valued in December (3 months after buying) and it's gone up by $100,000! So glad we didn't build.

Tracey
Old Mar 15th 2006, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY

Marie
Good for you,
we built, because it was our dream, but that dream turned into a nightmare.
I saw a beautiful house before we built and i wish we had bought it.
Every time i drive past, i wish we was there, the stress of all the building has made me quite unsettled.
Maybe when the pool goes in and the gardens are done i will fell happier.
If not we will sell. Denise
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:35 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
Good for you,
we built, because it was our dream, but that dream turned into a nightmare.
I saw a beautiful house before we built and i wish we had bought it.
Every time i drive past, i wish we was there, the stress of all the building has made me quite unsettled.
Maybe when the pool goes in and the gardens are done i will fell happier.
If not we will sell. Denise
I can only echo Denise's words as we're already considering selling as we've got the hump with the house already.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:50 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

We wanted to build too but we have bought a '2nd hand house'. I was really unsettled in the rental although it was perfectly reasonable and the neighbours were lovely but I was so unhappy there-having never rented and always owned my own home I just couldnt bear it. I drove every day to the area we wanted to live in (45 mins eachway-long story) to look at houses and I can honestly say after considerable searching we found EXACTLY what we wanted without the long term stress of an own-build. Now we are all much more settled I was surprised at the difference it made to just have somewhere of our own we could be comfortable in and call HOME.
good luck mevy
Old Mar 16th 2006, 2:50 am
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

I know what you people mean. i will be going as a skilled independant and just the horror stories alone put me off building. Do you people think that I could get something quite nice for about 200-200kA$? and if so what do you think the morgage repayments might be?

Cheers

Justin