Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bonds and changing currency

bonds and changing currency

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bonds and changing currency

i'm a bit confused about the bond business. i've checked on the centrelink site and it says that a bond for a couple is 5 thousand dollars. nothing about over 18 dependants, of which i have 2. it also keeps saying stuff about, if a bond is required. does that mean there's a chance i won't have to pay? i'm skilled aus sponsored by the way

also, i've been on the hifx web site, and a couple of others that don't look as good, and it seems very easy and they look like they could be trusted. they're very clear and informative. anyone have any experience of this? i will need to send the loot to my sister if she has to pay the bond but there's no way i'm sending it before i go. why would you do that? i've seen people on the austimeline that have sent it months before. i wish i had more money! i have a house to sell but i might have to remortgage first to raise the huge amounts needed to pay bond, ship dogs, buy container and flights! and the rest.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:19 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bonds and changing currency

HIFX are well regarded by people on here , if you search using the 'search' word in the blue line at the top of the forum and put in hifx you'll get lots of comments about them.

They are regulated - not fly by night and have offices in UK and Aus. They make their money by offering different exchange rates ( as do everyone ) than those which they themselves can secure money at.

They will send the money to a nominated aussie bank account for you - ie you send it to your sisters account for the bond.

To open an account you just post or fax a signed copy of their terms (downloadable from their website) along with a copy of your passport ID page and a recent (less than 3mths old) bill and they'll set you up an account. Then you phone them up and ask to trade , tell them what you want to buy eg $5000 AU , where its going (your sisters bank account) , and how you're paying for it. Then thats that - all done. A day or so later your sister will have the money. (might even be same day)

Of course check their website for dealing instructions - its pretty straightforward.

When you shop around - make sure you check the hidden costs of bank transfers (hifx include one per transaction- others charge 30£ ), and check and double check the exchange rates you are quoted to get an idea try walking into a barclays branch to buy $5000 AU , you'll get a vastly different rate to that quoted from hifx , barclays will be more expensive.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:42 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bonds and changing currency

Have you seen the Centrelink brochure regarding the Assurance of Support at this weblink:
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ions/co143.htm

Best regards.

Originally Posted by dawn kirbyshire
i'm a bit confused about the bond business. i've checked on the centrelink site and it says that a bond for a couple is 5 thousand dollars. nothing about over 18 dependants, of which i have 2. it also keeps saying stuff about, if a bond is required. does that mean there's a chance i won't have to pay? i'm skilled aus sponsored by the way

also, i've been on the hifx web site, and a couple of others that don't look as good, and it seems very easy and they look like they could be trusted. they're very clear and informative. anyone have any experience of this? i will need to send the loot to my sister if she has to pay the bond but there's no way i'm sending it before i go. why would you do that? i've seen people on the austimeline that have sent it months before. i wish i had more money! i have a house to sell but i might have to remortgage first to raise the huge amounts needed to pay bond, ship dogs, buy container and flights! and the rest.