Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boganup (Rockingham re-named)

Boganup (Rockingham re-named)

Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:05 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boganup (Rockingham re-named)

Posting links to articles in "The West" often doesn't work, but I'll try anyway: http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=31666

Here are three excerpts from the article:

"You can call it Rocky, Shockingham or Swinging Bacon, just don’t call it Boganup.

Rockingham mayor Barry Sammels has hit back at claims that Mandurah’s northern neighbour is the home of mullet-sporting hoons, saying the coastal community is young, vibrant and one of the fastest growing regions in the State."

(...)

"Macquarie Dictionary defines bogan as a person, generally from an outer suburb of a city and from a lower socio-economic background who is viewed as uncultured.

In 2001, Mandurah and Rockingham had some of the highest unemployment rates in the metropolitan area."

(...)

"Duane Bell, Jason Blundell and Holly Sejournee felt the bogan tag was well deserved but said most residents were proud of it."
Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Me and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Boganup (Rockingham re-named)

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Posting links to articles in "The West" often doesn't work, but I'll try anyway: http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=31666

"You can call it Rocky, Shockingham or Swinging Bacon, just don’t call it Boganup.

Rockingham mayor Barry Sammels has hit back at claims that Mandurah’s northern neighbour is the home of mullet-sporting hoons, saying the coastal community is young, vibrant and one of the fastest growing regions in the State."

(...)

"Macquarie Dictionary defines bogan as a person, generally from an outer suburb of a city and from a lower socio-economic background who is viewed as uncultured.

In 2001, Mandurah and Rockingham had some of the highest unemployment rates in the metropolitan area."

(...)

"Duane Bell, Jason Blundell and Holly Sejournee felt the bogan tag was well deserved but said most residents were proud of it."
OH MY GOD!!!!!!! Is that true? Where abouts in Perth do you live?
We are flying out in just over a week and were looking to buy a house around Rockingham/Port Kennedy. Is this not the best idea then!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:26 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

(...)

(...)

Am afraid to say it, but we have to agree! We travelled all over Perth last year. Rockingham was high on list of places to settle (based upon web research). Sadly we were very dissapointed. Kinda felt like Little Britain in some respects, but we were also put off by the (obvious) large amount of Hoons and Bogans hanging around. I'll be honest, we saw more tyre marks on the roads and in car parks than the rest of Perth put together. Settling down for the night in our campervan around mid night, all we heard was tyres screeching and V8's being raced up and down the streets! Spent an evening in the Swinging Pig, reminded me of some spit and saw dust joint from back home. English football shirts on 90% of the occupants and footy on the telly!

'Boganup' Sounds very appropriate........not the Australia we are looking for!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 1:10 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

(...)

(...)

I loved the photo of the couple !
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

(...)

(...)

I take it you won't be heading there then?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:51 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Spent an evening in the Swinging Pig, reminded me of some spit and saw dust joint from back home.
I've been in it that pub, it was free entry too.

Unfortunately it was 50 bucks to get back out.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:38 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mackinnon
I've been in it that pub, it was free entry too.

Unfortunately it was 50 bucks to get back out.
Thats the one!

We had to beat up three Monkeys, er....doormen, just to get in. Then getting to the bar was a different story altogether! Couldn't actually see it for football shirts (all English)....Got our drinks (eventually), then managed to find a piss/ alcohol/ god knows what, stained seat...only to have some leery Aussie on his own, spend the next hour drooling at Mrs F...culminating him making an attempt to come and chat her up! Bear in mind I was sat right next to her and OBVIOUSLY her BF! Needless to say, he didn't stay long!

Very worrying indeed, especially as we had been recommended this place by several people of varying nationalities.