Boats

Old Jan 25th 2004, 9:37 pm
CARDIFFKID

Default Boats

CAN ANYONE HELP ME ? TRYING TO FIND OUT IF I CAN TAKE OUR BOAT TO PERTH WITH US,AND HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?IS IT WORTH IT?

Old Jan 25th 2004, 9:48 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boats

Originally posted by CARDIFFKID
CAN ANYONE HELP ME ? TRYING TO FIND OUT IF I CAN TAKE OUR BOAT TO PERTH WITH US,AND HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?IS IT WORTH IT?
Cardiff, perhaps you could turn the caps lock off (its the equivilent of shouting when conversing online ) & tell us a little more about the boat? I presume its not big enough to get here under its own steam?

My immediate reaction would be " leave it, you can replace it here" as boats are cheap here (certainly compared to the UK) & there are a huge range. But I guess it does depend on what the boat is.

A little bit more info might be more helpful .
Old Jan 25th 2004, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

slec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Boats

Originally posted by CARDIFFKID
We are looking to buy a boat here in Vic after 15 weeks here they seem very good value and you seem to get a lot for your money.I would price it out on the net or something sim and have yours valued plus price of shiping I would say no but it depends on the boat.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

My sis has brought a small boat over and it has been fairly stressful. You obviously have to have it thoroughly cleaned ect in UK and then it gets steam cleaned over here. Also you have to pay a sort of bond and this was a few grand (3 grand I think) and you loose that if you sell it within I think 3 years. I gather you are not allowed to sell it for 3 years. There is a great deal of paperwork/registering involved and on reflection they decided that it would have been better to buy here as there are some good deals around. There is a great deal of bureacracy involved and also in actually registering to be able to sail. I think the advice is that like with a car you would only bring it if you couldn't find an equivalent in Australia and/or it was of special/sentimental value. For example a hand built scaled down model of the Golden Hind or a rare vintage car/high powered sports car that had been previously owned by Damon Hill sort of thing. Anyway good luck.

E