Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HiFi prices in NZ

HiFi prices in NZ

Old Jan 25th 2004, 8:25 am
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HiFi prices in NZ

can anyone give me comparisons of prices of non-computer technology prices in NZ compared with the UK.

I have some evidence from the internet, but I prefer dealing with humanity
Old Jan 25th 2004, 11:36 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

almost all of it would be pretty comparable to a UK price at best, but usually more expensive.

For any imported electronics from asia or the usa, you can pretty much do a straight conversion from the UK price to find out what it will cost in NZ $$$. But of course, you earn less in NZ, so the item is more expensive when it comes to your earning power.

no major electronic products would be made in NZ, (or even Aus perhaps?) so all have to be imported.

definitely cheaper to buy things in singapore or the usa - as you instantly minus shipping and gst, as well as any profits the NZ retailers take off the top.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 9:35 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk
almost all of it would be pretty comparable to a UK price at best, but usually more expensive.
Behind the times, Jon! The superstrong NZD and high degree of competition means that you can pick up electrical items at very keen prices at present. Most retailers are passing on the currency advantage to customers.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

chris@insurance is an unknown quantity at this point

There has been such a sharp rise in the NZ dollar in the last year that, although I agree with a previous comment that prices are becoming more attractive in NZ, better deals are available outside of NZ at the moment.....assuming shipping costs aren't too dear and compatability isn't a problem.