Reload this Page >

Which bit do we do first??

Which bit do we do first??

Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

lynnyloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which bit do we do first??

Hi,
Am new to all this so want abit of advice.
We're hoping to migrate as skilled independant(I'm a midwife) do I have my qualification assessed first before we start or do we just apply???The whole thing is getting to me already and it's only the beginning!!Where do we start first,can someone point me in the right direction.
Hope you don't think i'm too clueless!!
Lynne
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, yes you do need to get your skills assessed by the Australian Nursing Council, this takes about 8 weeks and costs about £250. Muzzwoman
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:19 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi lynne,
you will get loads of info about the anci assessment if you do a search...put in 'nurses','anci' and other such nursely words!!!
I got tons of info from mcmercer and co......very useful!!!!

sue

ps loads of nurses on here....just ask and one of us will probably be able to help!!!!
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:52 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
ps loads of nurses on here!!!!
Yes, and if this site is a true reflection of what nurses are really like.......well... it's been such an eye opener :scared:
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bix
Yes, and if this site is a true reflection of what nurses are really like.......well... it's been such an eye opener :scared:
So what do you think we are really like then Bix?????

Muzzman will tell you if you're right.

Muzzwoman
Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:06 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Muzzman
So what do you think we are really like then Bix?????

Muzzman will tell you if you're right.

Muzzwoman

Yeah, c'mon Big boy...............what do you expect???

sue
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are all selfless angels of course

Lynnyloo, The application process seems a little less painful for nurses than others, get plenty of copies of all the info you need for your skills assessment as you'll need it again for your main application and bits for your registration in the state you're going to.
I found out loads of info on here, just ask
Good luck,
Michaela
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:20 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Highly motivated.
Intellectual.
Compassionate.
Sympathetic.
Salt of the earth.
Balanced.
Humorous.

But enough about myself

I think you are normal people (like me ? ) and until I came on this forum I revered you sort of as untouchables
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:40 pm

Originally posted by Bix
and until I came on this forum I revered you sort of as untouchables

pmsl!!
bloody hell Bix, if thats what you thought of nurses, you been reading too many Mills and Boon!!!!!

We are an ordinary band of good eggs.........who probably dont laugh enough!!!! I have just returned to nursing, and was amazed at the number of people who you couldnt crack a joke or have a laugh with......am happy to say its changed somewhat now, and most of us have a giggle on a regular basis!!! Even get the docs to join in...............
if you want to make a nurse smile, tell her a joke....!!
well, me anyway!!

sue
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which bit do we do first??

Originally posted by lynnyloo
Hi,
We're hoping to migrate as skilled independant(I'm a midwife) do I have my qualification assessed first before we start or do we just apply???The whole thing is getting to me already and it's only the beginning!!Where do we start first,can someone point me in the right direction.
Lynne
Hiya
Hope this is helpful. (I'm a nurse/midwife.)
There are different ways of going about it.
eg: you can be sponsored by a hospital or state, in which case you have to stay with either the hospital or the state for 2 years (I think). These visas tend to come quicker.
You can go for a skilled independant visa, which takes up to 6 months. Which means you can work anywhere in Oz.
I'm not sure which ones are easier to get partners/family in with you. I got my partner's visa ok on a skilled independant. We wanted the freedom to be able to move around incase we didn't like Perth.
You have to get your skills assessed by the ANCI first, if you look them up on Google you can download their application form.
Mine took 2 weeks to come back last year, (3 weeks when I applied for a working holiday visa in 1996.)
While your waiting depending on where you live you could apply for your police checks. I live in London and they they took ages to come back. You'll also need to get loads of your papers organised and certified by a solicitor! You have to enter Oz by a year to the date of your police check or medicals.
Midwives and nurses tend to get their visas within 6 months, there are conditions like how long you've been qualified etc, but I think there are ways around that if your newly qualified.
Please research what I've said incase there have been any changes since October last year.
Also try austimeline.com
To be honest the biggest hassle we've found is sorting out the house and making arrangements to go.
Good luck!

Barbara
x
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:03 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lynnyloo
Hi,
Lynne
hi lynne,
try this link. this is the route we took. hope it helps
http://www.healthstaffrecruitment.com.au/
soapy
Old Mar 11th 2004, 5:20 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

You do need your qualifications assessed by the ANCI for the visa. However if you decide where you want to go eg Qld, NSW get registered with that state/territory nursing board first. I assume that you are a RM not RN too. If so you can apply to registered as a midwife only. This then means you have a licence to practice in that state/territory.
When it comes to the ANCI their fee is alot lower for assessment if you already have a licence in australia $150 compared to $500ish. If you then change your mind about going to that state/territory it doesn't matter because you can then apply for a licence in the new area under mutual recognition which is less hassle and less dosh.

Phew am amazed that i remember all this but then again when you have gone through this trauma it tends to stick in your mind!! The ANCI website has links to all nursing boards so you can download forms etc
Lucy
Old Mar 12th 2004, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, feel free to ask any "nurse" questions. As my fellow peers have stated. Applying to ANCi is the 1st step. After ANC is satisfied and has approved your skills' assessment, ANC will send you a formal letter of approval stating "suitable for migration," which you could then send in together with your migration application.

I would recommend that you go the Skilled Independent way, without any sponsors, especially if you are certain you have enough points (equal to or more than 115...I think is the current cut-off for Skilled Indepen. Migration); this gives you more freedom. Otherwise Skilled indepen. sponsored by an employer ties you to your employer for a certain time-frame....

Being that you are a nurse, you may want to front-load your application together with your medicals and police checks if possible. All in all, if you are in good health and without a criminal background it should take roughly 2 to 6 months to get your residency Visa once you apply for migration as a nurse!!