Bisto

Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:25 am
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all
Default Bisto

My wife swears blind that she has seen Bisto gravy in a shop here in Melbourne but cannot remember where. Can anybody tell me if they can confirm this or is she really sniffing something!! One quick one - please dont tell me to get it from the pommie shop as the price is pretty ludicrous.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bisto

Originally Posted by chessp
My wife swears blind that she has seen Bisto gravy in a shop here in Melbourne but cannot remember where. Can anybody tell me if they can confirm this or is she really sniffing something!! One quick one - please dont tell me to get it from the pommie shop as the price is pretty ludicrous.
The one thing we miss are the gravy granules. We have found some from Coles (Greens) but it takes half a container to get the same consistancy. We have also tried the OXO one but that is rubbish. We have some bisto powder in the cupboard (for special occasions). Hubby thinks we got it from IGA. Not as good as the UK but the best we will get.

Mum tried to post some to me but got stopped by customs so that is not an option.

Debs
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Why not make your own from the pan juices when you do a roast? Home made is much nicer than any of that boxed rubbish
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

safeway sell Bisto, also as a lady suggested why dont you make your own, if you are cooking meat or chicken the juices (stock) is the best from your own pan.

arthur
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

I got some Bisto from Coles in Glenelg (SA) but it's not like the "real" stuff. No instant 'add hot water from the kettle' and stir magic. You have to use saucepans and stuf! LOL.

It's a bit runny too and I haven't got the hang of it yet (keeps turning out lumpy!)

Missing the granules they were great in the U.K.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
I got some Bisto from Coles in Glenelg (SA) but it's not like the "real" stuff. No instant 'add hot water from the kettle' and stir magic. You have to use saucepans and stuf! LOL.

It's a bit runny too and I haven't got the hang of it yet (keeps turning out lumpy!)

Missing the granules they were great in the U.K.
To make the real stuff, you need to know how to cook!!!!!!!

Debs
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

dear me young lady its not hard at all, worst comes to worst throw the lot in a baking tray with a little garlic and cook slowly
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
dear me young lady its not hard at all, worst comes to worst throw the lot in a baking tray with a little garlic and cook slowly
You obviously haven't tried my cooking. I work (sponsored visa) and hubby stays home. He says it is a lot safer.

Debs
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:44 am
him
token local

him has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura about

In Woolworths (Safeways in Victoria) they sell some varieties of Bisto. It is identical to the UK variety except that it is called "Sooo! Gravy".
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:06 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
To make the real stuff, you need to know how to cook!!!!!!!

Debs
Roast a chicken, when it's cooked, pour all the juices into a jug. Leave it to cool and the stock separates from the fat. The hard fat can then be removed. Then, boil up the stock with the bones from the carcass and again, allow to cool and remove any fat. The result is the most fab base for soup. Or, mix with gravy granules and a little cornflour to make excellent gravy.

It's a bit of work, but sooo worth it.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by him
In Woolworths (Safeways in Victoria) they sell some varieties of Bisto. It is identical to the UK variety except that it is called "Sooo! Gravy".
Recently I've been going into every Woolworths I've passed in the Sydney area and none of them have Sooo Gravy anymore.

If anyone has seen any in the Sydney area recently it would be good to know.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

[QUOTE
Mum tried to post some to me but got stopped by customs so that is not an option.

Debs[/QUOTE]

Hi Debs

My mam used to post me bisto gravy powder every couple of months and had no problems with customs at all. i even received a packet that had been opened by quarantine and i still received it with a sticker on the packet saying why it had been opened. it cost her more to send it than what she paid for it though £5.85 for a £1.45 packet.

while i was back in england over the new year, i bought 6 packets and brought them back in my luggage, declared them on arrival and got through customs faster than those who had nothing to declare. going back again in june and guess what i'll be bringing back?

Marie
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:55 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by robert cowan
[QUOTE

Debs
Hi Debs

My mam used to post me bisto gravy powder every couple of months and had no problems with customs at all. i even received a packet that had been opened by quarantine and i still received it with a sticker on the packet saying why it had been opened. it cost her more to send it than what she paid for it though £5.85 for a £1.45 packet.

while i was back in england over the new year, i bought 6 packets and brought them back in my luggage, declared them on arrival and got through customs faster than those who had nothing to declare. going back again in june and guess what i'll be bringing back?

Marie[/QUOTE]
Mums coming out in May, she sent me a packet via post and it too was opened but passed by customs. When she arrives it will be a big hug and then prise open her suitcase for the stuff!!!! Aaahhhhh bisto. Mind you when I do have a packet we eke it out like war rations, tiny bit at a time lol!!

Last edited by vivi; Mar 21st 2007 at 9:57 am. Reason: excessive quote
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

OK. Went to Woolworths and couldn't find Sooo gravy. Found Gravox instead. DISGUSTING.

Will stick to the Greens Gravy Granules. In a plastic tub with a green label and lid. This is available in Coles, Woolworths and IGA. You just need to put a few more granules in than it says to get it thicker.

Debs