Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping companies is this true?

shipping companies is this true?

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

leerankin is on a distinguished road
Question shipping companies is this true?

hi

i am shipping some personal things probably around 10 boxes and i have had a quote from doree bonner and crown which came back the same price the only difference being crown price included australian quarantine inspection fee and the cleaning of shipping containers but doree bonner told me this would have to be paid by me when goods were delivered.
i queried this with crown and they said they pay it up front as they have an office in perth australia.
anyone know anything about this or can verify i just want to make sure there are no hidden charges........
thanks!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 9:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping companies is this true?

Originally Posted by leerankin
hi

i am shipping some personal things probably around 10 boxes and i have had a quote from doree bonner and crown which came back the same price the only difference being crown price included australian quarantine inspection fee and the cleaning of shipping containers but doree bonner told me this would have to be paid by me when goods were delivered.
i queried this with crown and they said they pay it up front as they have an office in perth australia.
anyone know anything about this or can verify i just want to make sure there are no hidden charges........
thanks!
The exact total cost of the AQIS inspection is unknown by anyone - including AQIS - until they have got the container and the inventory and decided how much stuff to look at.
If Crown are paying up front its a very big gamble, as AQIS may decide that half the container has charges on it (unlikely but possible) and they will then make a huge loss. They may be including the basic inspection fee, but I don't see how any firm can pre-pay the charges for fumigation/destruction that may be necessary.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

hi

thanks!
we sent 23 boxes with crown we payed them about £650 for door to door.
no hidden charges for us.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:09 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Crown pay your AQIS inspection fees as part of their offering. They do NOT pay fumigation or destruction fees.

Buzzy
Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

hi

thanks!
Hi,

When we shipped our stuff with PSS quarantine inspection fees were excluded. Their agents here in Perth (Kent) charged us $640 + gst for the inspection. When I queried this and requested a copy of the AQIS invoice, they told me there were no individual invoices as AQIS billed for their services overall to Kent. However, they did breakdown the 640 in the following way: Quarantine officer’s time, Kent staff member to supervise inspection, Admin fee, Searching, Opening and inspecting of cartons, Resealing of cartons. We attended the quarantine session where about 20 boxes of interest had been pulled out for the AQIS guy. He asked us what was in them, opened a few and signed off the rest. No destruction, no fumigation, nothing. We were out of the warehouse within half an hour - which works out to about $1200 an hour. Incidently, Kent have still been unable to produce a bona fide AQIS receipt for this money, despite repeated requests. If someone is offering you quarantine charges paid for up front, I would recommend you take them up on it and get it in writing for the handling agents at this end.

Mark
Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mbike
Hi,

We were out of the warehouse within half an hour - which works out to about $1200 an hour. Incidently, Kent have still been unable to produce a bona fide AQIS receipt for this money, despite repeated requests.

Mark
How do you keep your cool with people like this?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

canifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The exact total cost of the AQIS inspection is unknown by anyone - including AQIS - until they have got the container and the inventory and decided how much stuff to look at.
If Crown are paying up front its a very big gamble, as AQIS may decide that half the container has charges on it (unlikely but possible) and they will then make a huge loss. They may be including the basic inspection fee, but I don't see how any firm can pre-pay the charges for fumigation/destruction that may be necessary.
Crown include:-
Australian terminal charges
Australian container cleaning charges
Normal customs clearance charges (more info on whats normal required)
Quarantine clearance charges

It seems that some or all of the above may have to be done and maybe they work on a swings and roundabout basis.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
How do you keep your cool with people like this?
Don't get me started. http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...es/cursing.gif