Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bird Flu - Where's Safer? UK or Oz?

Bird Flu - Where's Safer? UK or Oz?

Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bird Flu - Where's Safer? UK or Oz?

Here is a piece about Australia in 1918.

http://www.science.org.au/nova/090/090box02.htm

G
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

To stock the amount of vaccine needed for the entire country would be unrealistic. There are sufficient upplies for workers in essential industries. Australia is monitoring the movement of Avian Flu on a daily basis, and is running exercises and reviewing procedures constantly. I reckon they are as prepared as it is possible to be - probably more prepared than for something like Katrina.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're talking about migratory birds, then Aus is way more vulnerable, because millions of waders, and other species migrate from Asia to their wintering grounds throughout Australia. Trust me on this, I'm a birdwatcher. Even though the UK gets some Asian migrants, the numbers are far smaller.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:26 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by renth
You need to look at history and the Spanish flu "pandemic" after WW1 whih killed many more people than the war itself, we're talking MILLIONS. This type of flu virus isn't the sort that gives you a runny nose - it kills you. Healthy adults are the ones that are most likely to die.

If the virus does mutate to become human to human transmissble it will make SARS look like a walk in the park.

I have my own plans if the sh*t hits the fan, I have contacts at Charlie's hospital in Perth so me and the Mrs. will be there for antiviral shots as soon as they are available. As for the kids, it's going to be lockdown in Ocean Reef for many months. I'll stock up on rice, flour, oil, vitamin tablets etc...
Hiya,
I don't think this si such a bad idea!

Think how many people you meet on a normal day!
We work in big open plan offices nowaday's so bugs spread easily, coughs and cold spread redily, never mind flu!

I think isolation may be the best idea untill it's burnt itself out (killing all the people that are carriers / victims) :scared:

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 30th 2005, 9:20 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Nor did i until i watched the TV programme.

Saying that though, Australia is extremely strict on bringing ANYTHING related to birds in here. It was the Border Security series i was watching. I was amazed at the stupidity of some people coming over. One guy had a whole barbequed duck in his luggage!! :scared:
There's also a few birds I know of who would definitely be classified as "mad cows" and probably wouldn't be allowed in.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

I'm doing my bit to prevent it - I have taken all the monkey nuts out of the bird feeder in the garden and filled it with Lem Sip !!!
Old Oct 1st 2005, 8:34 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
There's also a few birds I know of who would definitely be classified as "mad cows" and probably wouldn't be allowed in.
lol...especially those who post under a different name and talk in code
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:14 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently Australian pharmacies have just sold out of bird flu vaccine because of fear of the virus. John Howard said don't panic buy so guess what happened.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:27 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

I don't get the panic, I have to say.

Yes, *IF* it does cross the species barrier and become a full-on Flu Pandemic then yes, it's something to worry about BUT is there any evidence to suggest that this strain of bird flu is more likely to cross the species barrier than any other stain? Last time it did was in Hong Kong in the mid-90s, i believe and whilst there were some deaths (always tragic) it wasn't exactly the next Black Death.

Just another "news" sotry to fill the hole on 24 hour news channels if you ask me.

Michelle
(hoping they aren't famous last words LOL!)
Old Oct 1st 2005, 2:27 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
They must have a slack day here and there, as i slipped through the net
Old Oct 1st 2005, 2:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Apparently Australian pharmacies have just sold out of bird flu vaccine because of fear of the virus. John Howard said don't panic buy so guess what happened.
There are stocks reserved for the "essential2 workers, at some hidden location, which haven't been bought up in the rush.
It probably is being inflatec by the tabloid press - after all, this kind of stuff sells papers - but at the same time it is being taken seriously by the emergency services here, hence there are daily updates to the govt and emergency planners.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 3:28 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
There is already a vaccine for bird flu, but theres not enough to go round as Australia hasnt stocked up with enough
big trouble in the states at the moment because they have been late responding to stockpiling
Old Oct 1st 2005, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bondipom
Panic buying: evidently the State of WA never reports the temperature above 42 degrees or all the shops will sell out of bottled water.......honest !!
IJ xx
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Innyjim
Panic buying: evidently the State of WA never reports the temperature above 42 degrees or all the shops will sell out of bottled water.......honest !!
IJ xx
When I left Perth in December 2004 most houses had taps in them that you turned on and water just flowed out of. Have they removed all those in the intervening 9 months ?