British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bird Flu - Where's Safer? UK or Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bird-flu-wheres-safer-uk-oz-328752/)

diddy Sep 30th 2005 5:28 am

Bird Flu - Where's Safer? UK or Oz?

Given the attached:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4292426.stm

Does anyone know which country is actually safer - the UK or Oz?

My money is on Oz despite being nearer to Indonesia, because it has no PC worries over closing borders or putting people in quarantine. Incidentially, both the UK and Oz have stockpiled anti-virals.

Linda Lushardi Sep 30th 2005 5:32 am

Re: Bird Flu - Where's Safer? UK or Oz?

I would say it makes no difference. Aus is within bird flying distance from Indonesia. In fact they were discussing this on TV here the other night. The same goes for migratory birds across the world.

diddy Sep 30th 2005 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
I would say it makes no difference. Aus is within bird flying distance from Indonesia. In fact they were discussing this on TV here the other night. The same goes for migratory birds across the world.

Didn't think of that.

Linda Lushardi Sep 30th 2005 5:36 am

Nor did i until i watched the TV programme.

Saying that though, Australia is extremely strict on bringing ANYTHING related to birds in here. It was the Border Security series i was watching. I was amazed at the stupidity of some people coming over. One guy had a whole barbequed duck in his luggage!! :scared:

phoenixinoz Sep 30th 2005 5:51 am

What about the human form of carrying the flu though?

I don't know enough about the subject to comment seriously .....however I'd hazard a guess it could be easily transferable from Asia to here via humans?

I would have thought anyone travelling from Asia to Aus might not show symptoms but going from Asia to UK chances are they would [longer distance=flu symptoms] ? :confused:

Then again, I'm not sure how many people travel from Asia to UK Vs Asia to Aus and weather the increased numbers would increase the risk/likelihood?

Eeee...... Mad cows and chickens with flu...whatever next:rolleyes:

Bella Donna Sep 30th 2005 6:26 am

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
What about the human form of carrying the flu though?

I don't know enough about the subject to comment seriously .....however I'd hazard a guess it could be easily transferable from Asia to here via humans?

I would have thought anyone travelling from Asia to Aus might not show symptoms but going from Asia to UK chances are they would [longer distance=flu symptoms] ? :confused:

Then again, I'm not sure how many people travel from Asia to UK Vs Asia to Aus and weather the increased numbers would increase the risk/likelihood?

Eeee...... Mad cows and chickens with flu...whatever next:rolleyes:

Given that it appears that they have yet to establish that this virus can actually spread between species, I don't think there's any point in worrying. They have been forecasting pandemics of flu, SARS, measles, you name it, they've forecast it, and they haven't materialised yet. There is also some new virus in the US that is allegedly mutating between horses and dogs, and there's talk that one may yet mutate between species and affect humans. You could end up being scared to death if you believe the media stuff.

Don't worry - they'll have a vaccine for it soon...you see. :rolleyes:

markeh Sep 30th 2005 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Given that it appears that they have yet to establish that this virus can actually spread between species, I don't think there's any point in worrying. They have been forecasting pandemics of flu, SARS, measles, you name it, they've forecast it, and they haven't materialised yet. There is also some new virus in the US that is allegedly mutating between horses and dogs, and there's talk that one may yet mutate between species and affect humans. You could end up being scared to death if you believe the media stuff.

Don't worry - they'll have a vaccine for it soon...you see. :rolleyes:

Is that see you on the other side :confused:

Bye
Mark

Linda Lushardi Sep 30th 2005 8:19 am

There is already a vaccine for bird flu, but theres not enough to go round as Australia hasnt stocked up with enough

DJMA Sep 30th 2005 8:41 am

Originally Posted by diddy
Given the attached:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4292426.stm

Does anyone know which country is actually safer - the UK or Oz?

My money is on Oz despite being nearer to Indonesia, because it has no PC worries over closing borders or putting people in quarantine. Incidentially, both the UK and Oz have stockpiled anti-virals.

There are loads of potentially horrible things out there. This is just the latest one, as there is bu**er all we can do about it, so I suggest you don't worry. Every so often the media gets hold of something and blows it out of all proportion. The best one a few years ago was the flesh eating bug, it sounded like everyone going into hospital would get it.

But just in case, no more kissing birds for me, Julie excepted!!!!!

A dogs life Sep 30th 2005 10:32 am

Originally Posted by DJMA
The best one a few years ago was the flesh eating bug, it sounded like everyone going into hospital would get it.

No, No you forgot SARS. The media loved it. Had the entire planet in panic. (screwed up our wedding plans :mad: )

They're hoping bird flu will be a repeat :rolleyes:

Its the new catchword.. pandemic

Yeah yeah pandemic very good :rolleyes:

Tiawamutu Sep 30th 2005 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi

I'm a migratory 'bird' does that count? ;)

Sorry couldn't resist that :D

DevMountain Sep 30th 2005 10:36 am

You should be fine wherever, as long as you don't leave the house, tape all of the doors and windows up and hide under the stairs.

Don't forget to take your PC with you.

renth Sep 30th 2005 10:43 am

Originally Posted by A dogs life
No, No you forgot SARS. The media loved it. Had the entire planet in panic. (screwed up our wedding plans :mad: )

They're hoping bird flu will be a repeat :rolleyes:

Its the new catchword.. pandemic

Yeah yeah pandemic very good :rolleyes:

You need to look at history and the Spanish flu "pandemic" after WW1 whih killed many more people than the war itself, we're talking MILLIONS. This type of flu virus isn't the sort that gives you a runny nose - it kills you. Healthy adults are the ones that are most likely to die.

If the virus does mutate to become human to human transmissble it will make SARS look like a walk in the park.

I have my own plans if the sh*t hits the fan, I have contacts at Charlie's hospital in Perth so me and the Mrs. will be there for antiviral shots as soon as they are available. As for the kids, it's going to be lockdown in Ocean Reef for many months. I'll stock up on rice, flour, oil, vitamin tablets etc...

A dogs life Sep 30th 2005 10:46 am

Originally Posted by renth
You need to look at history and the Spanish flu "pandemic" after WW1 whih killed many more people than the war itself, we're talking MILLIONS. This type of flu virus isn't the sort that gives you a runny nose - it kills you. Healthy adults are the ones that are most likely to die.

If the virus does mutate to become human to human transmissble it will make SARS look like a walk in the park.

I have my own plans if the sh*t hits the fan, I have contacts at Charlie's hospital in Perth so me and the Mrs. will be there for antiviral shots as soon as they are available. As for the kids, it's going to be lockdown in Ocean Reef for many months. I'll stock up on rice, flour, oil, vitamin tablets etc...

Do you have an underground bunker, a few shotguns and a blast proof door?

Grayling Sep 30th 2005 10:49 am

I don't think that people in the 'modern' western world relly have any concept of what a pandemic could potentially do.

The 1918 pandemic was before the age of mass travel (mostly air travel) and thus could be more easily contrlolled. However it still wreaked havoc:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/virus/uda/

:scared:

G