Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Who do you reckon are the biggest moaners?
The Whinging Poms!
55.68%
The Bludging Aussies!
44.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:44 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Originally Posted by Merlot
Do I sound like an old fart at 34?

M
No (22) (started working parttime/hols at 15)
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:46 am
Badge

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Badge,

Normally you restrict yourself to naive ramblings, like something out of an old (is there any other kind?) Chips Raffety film:when men were men and sheep were worried. But that last sentence of yours ..."witty or philosphical comment" is just plain rubbish. Or does it go something like this in Oz:

"Eh mate, pass a stubby,but. It's a funny ol' life, innit. Sometimes I recall the writings of Jean-Paul Sartre and Nietzsche and I think... Wait a min, mate...Talk about Ubermensch, look at the norks on that!"

...as if.

As much as you love to wax lyrical about the so-called Aussie identity, most of it is wishful thinking.
What rubbish Mike!

A) My philosopical point was just that. WHY is it plain rubbish? Many people from all parts of the world act philosophically.
B) What was that last quote suppose to mean? Sounded like something you would write in a Australian script or something you tried to say to your Aussie mates but then got laughed out of court. In fact, it sounds like something you made up to try and rubbish a theory - very poor, very poor indeed.

Actually, I think you'd like me to revert to type so that you can ridicule me but when I get serious, in fact when ever anyone gets serious you resort to weak insults, or even silence eg The Crone.

I notice you do not constructively criticise what I actually wrote which was based on someone elses view. I think that as we are all different, we are all entitled to lax lyrical about identities, as you do with the English identity, People wax lyrical about their Scottish and Welsh identiity. Strangely enough, there is not much of a corresponding English one - I could recall my tutor from University but I've said it before and I won't repeat myself.

Remember: I have lived in parts of Australia that many have never seen or immersed themselves in - I am entitled to have an opinion on things which I have experienced.

I get annoyed with you because you criticised what you had no direct experience of, and could only draw on your narrow life as a professional, which is (apparently) your biggest single weakness. By being (apparently) obsessed by being a middle class professional you do not then enjoy, or learn anything else that life has to offer, like I do, and therefore you ostracise yourself from ....just about anyone..

I gave you credit for some of the theories, but these could also be wishful thinking on your part.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Feb 4th 2005 at 11:53 am.

Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:59 am
Badge

The mark of a genuine Aussie: your huge chip and feeling of inferiority are showing.

Relax, it's Friday.
hardly. He is just taking the piss out of you, on the very terms that you espouse. Come on, be constructive. The end result is that we are all different. Oz Tennis will continue to be popular and well liked, and happy in both the UK and Scotland, and you will still be bitter and, I suspect,a lonely, misunderstood man.

Badge

Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:26 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Badge
Quite a nice post.

I love Australia - you love England - but you tend to ridicule and cajoule as a result..and sometimes you meet your match...flinging insults at wombat42 does not make you any cleverer than him...

cheers

Badge
Thanks for the support Badge.

Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:31 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wombat42
Limp on your own crutch?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:41 pm
Badge

Of course, That was anti-Mike, not Anti-Wombat. (I'm not sure if you're mad with me or mad with the post).

badge

Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Toukon is an unknown quantity at this point

You shouldn't generalize Brits as a whole. The thing is, due to a number of reasons (ie, government benefits, populations), middle class life in England is not as easy as middle class life in Australia, which makes it harder to be as positive - its not like it is in the genes... after all, most Australians have British ancestry. Since the majority of people are middle class, this influences mentality of many. But I'm sure there are "well off" Brits who are more optimistic about life than "middle class" Australians. I mean, people say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy safer surroundings, more pleasant communities, and can pay the bills without worry.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:47 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Limp on your own crutch?
Alright Limpdick.

Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:04 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

I think the problem in the UK is largely to do with a general lack of pride, that seems to apply to everything, but especially the work ethic.

For example, in the UK, waiting at table is considered a poorly paid job for students & those who are desperate and can't get any other work. Whereas in Italy, being a waiter is considered as prestigious as being a Doctor: I can remember when I lived in Milan, my Mom's friend being thrilled that her beautiful, talented daughter was going to marry a waiter.

Only this morning, in my local supermarket here in Oz, I was chatting to the 'Saturday lad' at the checkout. As he packed my shopping he told me that, although he is to go to Uni to study physics, when the supermarket offered him the opportunity to do a 'Leadership' training course, he jumped at the chance, as it would help him do a better job now, and be good preparation for later life. The kid was just as proud of his job serving at the till, as of his future career as a scientist.

It's *that* attitude that the Uk needs to get back - and fast.

Anya.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:17 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Dear Gay Lard Boy,
As usual you miss the simplest of points. 'Twas not the number, but the fact there are also British astronauts. There was also a deeper message, which is obviously beyond you.
Mike

I, for one, am extremely offended by your using the word 'GAY' as a term of abuse in this way. Please do the decent thing and apologise before you cause further offence.

Anya.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:28 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by Merlot
No offence taken.

...Your further comments are appreciated.

Merlot
Merlot,

I wouldn't invite futher comment from the homophobic Mr Stanton if I were you. I'm waiting for him to pick on the Jews next - then, I can promise, he really *will* be in trouble.

Trust Mike to barge in on a sensible discussion with his own brand of hatred and sh*t stirring. I (along with many others, no doubt) was enjoying this thread, until his highly offensive post appeared.

It is people like that, I am sure, who add to your feeling that you want to leave the UK.

Good luck!
Anya.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:41 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Stanton accuses Badge of having a stereotypical view of Australia straight out of a 1950's Chips Rafferty film but he has a view of Britain straight out of an Evelyn Waugh novel. Let us call it 'Britainhead Revisited' - a time when men were men, a time when men and their teddy bears were scared of men, a time when chaps went up to Imperial and/or Oxford (well they never went down there because they wouldn't get in), studied Latin, read The Times or the Torygraph and one never saw a yob from one year to the next from their leafy Surrey villages. A time when a chap feels so superior to other Brits, let alone wild colonials, that he actually begins to believe that what he believes is Veritas.

Friday, just 'extracting the urine'.

OzTennis
Well said OT. You'll see that Stanton also retains the homophobia that most sensible adults in the UK (and, in fact, the civilised world) grew out of years ago and that is considered unacceptable in intelligent circles these days (the very circles that Stanton *claims* to move in - bet he's popular, then! ).

The Wolfenden report must have just passed him by..... ah well, it was published as far back as 1957...

Anya.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:48 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Mike

I, for one, am extremely offended by your using the word 'GAY' as a term of abuse in this way. Please do the decent thing and apologise before you cause further offence.

Anya.
l want a formal apology now Stanton.

Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:00 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

l want a formal apology now Stanton.

Theres more chance of him taking Aus citizenship.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:15 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bordy
Theres more chance of him taking Aus citizenship.
He already did take Australian Citizenship

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.