Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

View Poll Results: Who do you reckon are the biggest moaners?
The Whinging Poms!
55.68%
The Bludging Aussies!
44.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Oh the irony of it all

Sorry mike but they didn't have motorbikes in Roman times, therefore it is pig-latin

Regards
Alistair
Feeble, but expected.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:07 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Feeble, but expected.
As was your attempt.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

As was your attempt.
Predictable ad absurdum...
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:23 pm

Predictable ad absurdum...
ad infinitum...
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:25 pm

the use of his gives the sentence a totally inappropriate meaning
So. I guess you're a bit of girl then?

Alistair
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:33 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

This started out as a good post, can't you lot just agree to have varying points of views without slinging mud?

Come on Mr Stanton ease up.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:07 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Poms whinge but only by way of making conversation, we are actually easy going on the whole.

Aussies get a bit of wind and rain and you'd think it was the end of the world
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:23 pm

No. Who knows, perhaps you could learn something from reading these papers? You might learn, for example, that there is no hyphen in "Duo orbis".
Relax, your safe.
s/ your/ you’re/i
But then for some absurd reason you probably predicted this.

Quinkana = Meg
MikeStanton = Mystic Meg

Regards
Alistair
(Apologies to Quinkana)
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Stanton accuses Badge of having a stereotypical view of Australia straight out of a 1950's Chips Rafferty film but he has a view of Britain straight out of an Evelyn Waugh novel. Let us call it 'Britainhead Revisited' - a time when men were men, a time when men and their teddy bears were scared of men, a time when chaps went up to Imperial and/or Oxford (well they never went down there because they wouldn't get in), studied Latin, read The Times or the Torygraph and one never saw a yob from one year to the next from their leafy Surrey villages. A time when a chap feels so superior to other Brits, let alone wild colonials, that he actually begins to believe that what he believes is Veritas.

Friday, just 'extracting the urine'.

OzTennis
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:31 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer
Not quite! I have lived out of the UK (Europe/Oz) for the last 10 years.

On this board there often seems to be a lack of compatriotism, which manifests itself as British people putting other British people down. You have to ask yourself where the fault lies.

I'm not highlighting you specifically Merlot. I can appreciate what it is like to live amongst constant negativity - I have been in similar work environments (Australia included). An unhappy workforce, always perceived to be under-achieving, never a word of praise or encouragement, constant fault-finding. Negativity breeds negativity. Yes, the management could have done better, but it wasn't just poor management. A bit of team-building went a long way to ensuring colleagues appreciated and supported fellow colleagues - instant morale booster. The same can apply in 'real life'.
But where does the fault lie?

Personally there are only so many times you can smile, be pleasant, get knocked/ignored, pick yourself up and do it again before you feel your whole self sinking low???

Maybe the whole world has just gone mad!!!

M

Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:34 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Badge

Incidentally, I find it refreshing that people like Merlot - and there are a few others - who are now realising that both countries have something to offer...or, dare I say it, starting to realise that Australia is not so bad after all(!) ..OK I am biased - I happen to believe that Australians are more positive in the way I admire....whilst British people are often positive in their own way - I do prefer the Australian version as it is more 'universal' in spirit ..but I am not going to bully or ridicule over it.

cheers

Badge
Hi Badge

I have always attepted to say it as I see it, you are right both places have the good and bad points, this Forum is all about sharing.

I have to say even with this post I have written I am happy with most things in the UK, the same as when I was in Oz, you just get on with your life as best you can. It was missing the family that brought me back, I am now here and we are all safe and content.

It is good to share the bad days on both places on this Forum as many feel the same, wherever they are, crap will happen!!!

M

Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:42 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by GCS15
As for the lack of customer service. I have a pet theory. It isn't meant to be judgemental at all. I believe that in the UK everyone is told how they can be the boss (lord, lady... whatever) and furthermore it is their right. These people begrudge not being the boss. I believe that in the UK no-one is willing to be the worker. Not saying that they are lazy. Just that they feel cheated that someone has to serve the beer, pack boxes, stock shelves, collect the garbage.

This I suppose can be true in any country but yes I think the younger generation in particular feel it not necessary to do their "time".

My case at 13 me and my mate from school delivered the local free paper, from 14 to 18 I worked as a chamber maid/waitress/dogs body for my Aunt & Uncle, for a not great wage and it was hard graft (this was while I was at school, working hols & weekends). At 16 & 17 I worked the summer hols packing crisps during the week, as well as weekends doing my chamber maid bit.

My two younger half sisters in 2005 aged 14 & 15, neither have ever worked because of many reasons such as "It is not safe for them to be out", but get mobile phones, computers, clothes and holidays, all their friends tend to be the same. They then expect to go to Uni and get a high flying job when they graduate.

I don't begrudge them as being different in upbringing, I pity the fact they are not learning important life skills, work ethics or value of money.

Do I sound like an old fart at 34?

M

Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Merlot
Do I sound like an old fart at 34?

M
NO.

Alistair (38)
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:33 pm
Merlot

NO.

Alistair (38)
I feel better now! M

Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Stanton accuses Badge of having a stereotypical view of Australia straight out of a 1950's Chips Rafferty film but he has a view of Britain straight out of an Evelyn Waugh novel. Let us call it 'Britainhead Revisited' - a time when men were men, a time when men and their teddy bears were scared of men, a time when chaps went up to Imperial and/or Oxford (well they never went down there because they wouldn't get in), studied Latin, read The Times or the Torygraph and one never saw a yob from one year to the next from their leafy Surrey villages. A time when a chap feels so superior to other Brits, let alone wild colonials, that he actually begins to believe that what he believes is Veritas.

Friday, just 'extracting the urine'.

OzTennis
The mark of a genuine Aussie: your huge chip and feeling of inferiority are showing.

Relax, it's Friday.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Feb 4th 2005 at 3:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.