Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Who do you reckon are the biggest moaners?
The Whinging Poms!
55.68%
The Bludging Aussies!
44.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Old Feb 6th 2005, 7:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

I think it would be hard to find a non corrupt council. The latest on strathfield is that Michael Tsang was setup because he was not corrupt enough.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 7:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
well there was this

Councillors sticking their snouts in the trough

on today tonight on channel 7 the other night. It was a story comparing a shockingly bad council and a shockingly greedy one (see above link).

Cheers,
JTL
I saw that same "Councillors sticking their snouts in the trough" comment about the Burnett Shire Council plan to massively increase the pay and entitlements of the mayor, deputy mayor and councillors.

But the rises were: An ordinary councillors package will rise $35,332.00.
18 August 2004

Not sure i'd want to be a councillor !!

I am however, curious about the 1800% pay increase one I'd be tempted to apply for any councillor vacancy there

Old Feb 6th 2005, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But the rises were: An ordinary councillors package will rise $35,332.00.
18 August 2004

Not sure i'd want to be a councillor !!

I am however, curious about the 1800% pay increase one I'd be tempted to apply for any councillor vacancy there
But aren't councillors part-time? So they are like executive directors, maybe putting in 3 days a month. The council in Victoria has increased its councillors pay from $18,000 (which sounds reasonable for a part-time job) to $90,000 ( which is stupid if its a 3 day a month job). I'll put in 6 days a month for $90,000

And then they say, you can't get a good businessman to work for any less? Are they wanting rupert murdoch to be council chairman or something?

The proof is ( mis-quoting 'yes minister'), if its such a tough low paid job, why do we have loads of candidates all prepared to humiliate themselves in public for weeks just to get elected?

Madness
Cheers,
JTL
Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:06 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Are they wanting rupert murdoch to be council chairman or something?
JTL
Sorry, you really ARE starting to frighten me now...... :scared:

Anya.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:22 pm
ABCDiamond

But aren't councillors part-time?
That's a good point, I think it may vary between councils. I know one here that does it full time, and i'm pretty sure the Mayor is full time too, but I think that back in the UK, they were part time.

I did see one quote that said: "My mayoral salary was $57,000, if you take away 30 per cent tax off that how many business people are going to put up their hands? "
Now...., the worry with that is that he seems to say that the average business man may be better than him, so the councils may not be getting the best people ?

Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:01 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
...There are a whole load of important issues which, IMO, we SHOULD be debating here, for example:
* the fact that the Aussie government locked up a mentally ill woman for 2 years in an illegal immigrants' camp
That's nothing, in the UK when I was younger, they put a mentally unstable woman in Number 10 for 11 years. :scared:
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:07 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
That's nothing, in the UK when I was younger, they put a mentally unstable woman in Number 10 for 11 years. :scared:
LMAO very good
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:12 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DagBoy
LOL!

There seems to be a *pattern* of dodgy people getting a billet in that place, doesn't there......? It must all be part of this 'care in the community' thing....

Anya.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:23 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
OK not sure if I am getting the rose tinted specs on looking back to Australia but I am finding after 10 months back all those comments about the Brit's being a bunch of old whingers is just ringing true (present company excluded).

Being a BIG people watcher (Pollyanna's fav past time too ), the Brit's are eclipsing anything I have seen in Australia and at times I thought things like customer service were bad there.

There seems to be a huge push on trying to get anything for nothing, complaining when there is nothing to really moan about, ignoring customers, the list goes on. Even office bitching over here takes on new bounds.

What do those who have tasted both sides think? I have really lost faith in the great British public!

M

Its over 9 years since i was last in oz, but the main thing that stcuk in my mind was the lack of whinging in oz. I noticed in the uk we moan about everything, but when i went to oz it was one of the things i noticed the aussies didnt do! returning to the uk, it seemed to be more noticable, and to this day i think the uk is the moan capital of the world!
The whole attitude of talking to people you dont know seemed to come naturally in oz, wheras in the uk if you talk to a stranger (except to moan!) they think you are after something!
I found aussies smiled more too.......if you could see the miserable kites on folk's faces this morning on the tram to school you would have groaned..Me and my kids however smile all the time, and it has been noticed and mentioned to us on many, many occasions.
As for the councillors, here in sheffield they have jsut given themselves something like a 20% payrise!!!! us nurses get 3% i think, dont even know!

sue
ps, if antone wants to start telling me i have rose tinted specs on, dont bother - ive heard it all before!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:30 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
Its over 9 years since i was last in oz, but the main thing that stcuk in my mind was the lack of whinging in oz. I noticed in the uk we moan about everything, but when i went to oz it was one of the things i noticed the aussies didnt do! returning to the uk, it seemed to be more noticable, and to this day i think the uk is the moan capital of the world!
The whole attitude of talking to people you dont know seemed to come naturally in oz, wheras in the uk if you talk to a stranger (except to moan!) they think you are after something!
I found aussies smiled more too.......if you could see the miserable kites on folk's faces this morning on the tram to school you would have groaned..Me and my kids however smile all the time, and it has been noticed and mentioned to us on many, many occasions.

sue
ps, if antone wants to start telling me i have rose tinted specs on, dont bother - ive heard it all before!
I hate to say this Sue but do you think the weather makes a difference?

UK in the summer was not a bad old place, people tended to be out and about more and much happier?

M

Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

UK in the summer was not a bad old place, people tended to be out and about more and much happier?

M
Without looking through my mental health notes and text-books (hey I am on holidays) and without googling (you want ME to open another window and type more words! :scared: ???) I think that what you are refering to is SAD - seasonal adjusted(maybe not) depression.

Maybe someone with enthusiasm could chase it down. For now I'll pretend to be knowledgable and hope that people don't catch on that really I am just plain lazy
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:15 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by GCS15
Without looking through my mental health notes and text-books (hey I am on holidays) and without googling (you want ME to open another window and type more words! :scared: ???) I think that what you are refering to is SAD - seasonal adjusted(maybe not) depression.

Maybe someone with enthusiasm could chase it down. For now I'll pretend to be knowledgable and hope that people don't catch on that really I am just plain lazy
Funny you said that as only yesterday my friend suggested that I maybe needed to buy a special lamp to help with this and I was having sun withdrawals!! :scared:

I believe it is a full blown, fair dinkum medical condition.

BTW enjoy your holiday, you lucky thing!

M

Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Indeed, Aussies talk big, but deliver little.
You mean like the Sydney Olympics?

Seven years if worrying and complaining. But it was in the common good: an excellent end result.

It just HAD to be right on the day.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:01 am
ABCDiamond

I was just about to reply with the same comment

Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:49 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I was just about to reply with the same comment
Yes today in my part of Blighty, blue skies, chill in the air, it was perfect.

Went for a walk and felt a million times better!

Cure for all miseries, a dose of blue skies!!!

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.