Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

View Poll Results: Who do you reckon are the biggest moaners?
The Whinging Poms!
55.68%
The Bludging Aussies!
44.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Originally Posted by Merlot
No offence taken.

I haven't had chance to read all the posts properly as I am dashing out the door.

I lived in the UK for 21 year so my life (born and raised here), 8 years in Australia with lots of other countries mixed in.

I have been back 10 months and I feel worn down. I am one of lifes more positive people, it has been noted by work mates, friends and strangers.

I came back very positive about my country and countrymen, please feel free to see other threads but the "down" I feel is being given out by those around me I feel I need to comment on. I did get whingers around me in Australia, but not as much.
Can't speak for your experiences, but I'm really enjoying being back in UK. I live and work near London and haven't seen this negativity you mention. Of course, some of the papers are full of "Yob Britain" and "Drunks", because bad news sells.

Remember, the press is so concentrated (few owners) in Oz, that the bad news does not need to be publicised. Competition in Oz; what's that?

I have been back in UK one year and I have heard rowdy yobs once. In Sydney, I used to hear some drunken/drugged-up fuc*wits every night. It just didn't make the papers.

In the UK the media and people tend to overstate the problems and in Oz they understate them (which is why they can turn a blind eye to their human rights' abuses).
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Bluebristolian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
That's a fair assessment.

I could be guessing here, but I think a lot of people on this forum read the Daily Mail and their "country's gone to the dogs, asylum seekers as far as the eye can see, crime-ridden primary schools, what happened to the good ol-days,blah, blah" ilk.

Or is it a hot-bed of Independent and Guardian subscribers?...

No, I thought not...
The more Guardian readers that stay in the UK the better.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:59 am
Badge

Quite a nice post.

Mike it depends on where you live. As that professional that you are, with the pounds in the bank you earnt in Sydney, you can probably afford to live in a good area of London - as I can afford to live in a good area of Melbourne with my pounds.

Remember you gravitate to a level within your own means. You find your own level.

If you lived in parts of South London you might just change your tune. Drunken idiots - much has been made of how loud certain tourist spots get in Sydney's E beaches - the recent Manly thread - well of course - its a mecca for young people, backpackers and nightlife. If you lived in Leicester Square you might have a different story to tell.

I love Australia - you love England - but you tend to ridicule and cajoule as a result..and sometimes you meet your match...flinging insults at wombat42 does not make you any cleverer than him...

Mike, you are perceptive, and your analysis is based on some sort of thought and reason not conjecture, and there is probably a basis for your theories somewhere, but you do seem very quick to rush in to them as being conclusive, and all encompassing.

Incidentally, I find it refreshing that people like Merlot - and there are a few others - who are now realising that both countries have something to offer...or, dare I say it, starting to realise that Australia is not so bad after all(!) ..OK I am biased - I happen to believe that Australians are more positive in the way I admire....whilst British people are often positive in their own way - I do prefer the Australian version as it is more 'universal' in spirit ..but I am not going to bully or ridicule over it.

cheers

Badge

Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:15 am
Badge

For what it's worth, I think Aussies complain as much as Brits, but they tend to be better at putting it in perspective, and then getting on with it...one of my favourites is "Aussies complain, English whinge". (I heard it once)

It's also the WAY it's done. When an Aussie speaks of Whinging Poms, this is an unfortunate term from over a generation ago when it was probably true. It's all a bit of a bore now. Australians can take whiners and whingers, what they can't stand is whining without a focus, without a point (who doesn't). Perhaps, (I emphasise perhaps), English people (and I'm talking about the worst) will whinge, and skulk, an Aussie will whinge but then pull themselves out of it, perhaps with a witty or philisophical comment. Either way I do not wish to bully or cajoule with this theory. It is a theory that could apply to anyone or any national.

I know a very well spoken, highly connected, well educated Melbournian who has European written all over her. She is more English than many Enlgish peopke I know. She lived in London for years. She has travelled extensively and is self-critical and aware and discerning.

I find her so intriguing that I asked her about the differences between Brits and Aussies. I thought - "this answer will be good". This highly-balanced, high-brow Australian didn't hesitate; she said that Aussies seemed to be go-getters, they tended to get on with things, (it was quite clear she did not mean this in the brash American sense, but in the philosophical way).

BM

Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:23 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GCS15

As for the lack of customer service. I have a pet theory. It isn't meant to be judgemental at all. I believe that in the UK everyone is told how they can be the boss (lord, lady... whatever) and furthermore it is their right. These people begrudge not being the boss. I believe that in the UK no-one is willing to be the worker. ...
And I thought it was because the world owed them a living!

Regards
Alistair
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluebristolian
Relax, your safe.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:27 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bluebristolian
I read the Guardian.....and the Daily Mail. And for extra perspective, the New York Times and The Australian. While for non-mainstream news, Witchvox is always a good read.............
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Badge
Quite a nice post.

Mike it depends on where you live. As that professional that you are, with the pounds in the bank you earnt in Sydney, you can probably afford to live in a good area of London - as I can afford to live in a good area of Melbourne with my pounds.

Remember you gravitate to a level within your own means. You find your own level.

If you lived in parts of South London you might just change your tune. Drunken idiots - much has been made of how loud certain tourist spots get in Sydney's E beaches - the recent Manly thread - well of course - its a mecca for young people, backpackers and nightlife. If you lived in Leicester Square you might have a different story to tell.

I love Australia - you love England - but you tend to ridicule and cajoule as a result..and sometimes you meet your match...
As soon as I meet him/her, you'll be the second to know.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:31 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

As soon as I meet him/her, you'll be the second to know.
Boots shrinking again?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:31 am

Or is it a hot-bed of Independent and Guardian subscribers?...

No, I thought not...
What! Because they are not using big words inappropriately (Indy) or because of the misspellings (Gruaniad)

Regards
Alistair
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Badge
For what it's worth, I think Aussies complain as much as Brits, but they tend to be better at putting it in perspective, and then getting on with it...one of my favourites is "Aussies complain, English whinge". (I heard it once)

It's also the WAY it's done. When an Aussie speaks of Whinging Poms, this is an unfortunate term from over a generation ago when it was probably true. It's all a bit of a bore now. Australians can take whiners and whingers, what they can't stand is whining without a focus, without a point (who doesn't). Perhaps, (I emphasise perhaps), English people (and I'm talking about the worst) will whinge, and skulk, an Aussie will whinge but then pull themselves out of it, perhaps with a witty or philisophical comment.
Badge,

Normally you restrict yourself to naive ramblings, like something out of an old (is there any other kind?) Chips Raffety film:when men were men and sheep were worried. But that last sentence of yours ..."witty or philosphical comment" is just plain rubbish. Or does it go something like this in Oz:

"Eh mate, pass a stubby,but. It's a funny ol' life, innit. Sometimes I recall the writings of Jean-Paul Sartre and Nietzsche and I think... Wait a min, mate...Talk about Ubermensch, look at the norks on that!"

...as if.

As much as you love to wax lyrical about the so-called Aussie identity, most of it is wishful thinking.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
What! Because they are not using big words inappropriately (Indy) or because of the misspellings (Gruaniad)

Regards
Alistair
No. Who knows, perhaps you could learn something from reading these papers? You might learn, for example, that there is no hyphen in "Duo orbis".
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:55 am

Badge,

Normally you restrict yourself to naive ramblings, like something out of an old (is there any other kind?) Chips Raffety film:when men were men and sheep were worried. But that last sentence of yours ..."witty or philosphical comment" is just plain rubbish. Or does it go something like this in Oz:

"Eh mate, pass a stubby,but. It's a funny ol' life, innit. Sometimes I recall the writings of Jean-Paul Sartre and Nietzsche and I think... Wait a min, mate...Talk about Ubermensch, look at the norks on that!"

...as if.

As much as you love to wax lyrical about the so-called Aussie identity, most of it is wishful thinking.
Didn't Jean-Paul Sartre live in hell because all of his friends were French? And wasn't Nietzsche booked once too often (http://modrzew.stopklatka.pl/intermecz1.html)?

Alistair
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:01 pm

No. Who knows, perhaps you could learn something from reading these papers? You might learn, for example, that there is no hyphen in "Duo orbis".
Oh the irony of it all
Your time would be better spent correcting grammar and punctuation.

Your own.

In your phrase, he puts spaces before his colons (sic), the use of his gives the sentence a totally inappropriate meaning. I'll let you find your punctuation errors.

Moral is: if you're going to lecture, check your facts first.
Sorry mike but they didn't have motorbikes in Roman times, therefore it is pig-latin

Regards
Alistair
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

to all the trolls on this thread..you need to lighten up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.