Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

View Poll Results: Who do you reckon are the biggest moaners?
The Whinging Poms!
55.68%
The Bludging Aussies!
44.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:52 pm
Merlot

Unhappy The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

OK not sure if I am getting the rose tinted specs on looking back to Australia but I am finding after 10 months back all those comments about the Brit's being a bunch of old whingers is just ringing true (present company excluded).

Being a BIG people watcher (Pollyanna's fav past time too ), the Brit's are eclipsing anything I have seen in Australia and at times I thought things like customer service were bad there.

There seems to be a huge push on trying to get anything for nothing, complaining when there is nothing to really moan about, ignoring customers, the list goes on. Even office bitching over here takes on new bounds.

What do those who have tasted both sides think? I have really lost faith in the great British public!

M

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:56 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Originally Posted by Merlot
OK not sure if I am getting the rose tinted specs on looking back to Australia but I am finding after 10 months back all those comments about the Brit's being a bunch of old whingers is just ringing true (present company excluded).

Being a BIG people watcher (Pollyanna's fav past time too ), the Brit's are eclipsing anything I have seen in Australia and at times I thought things like customer service were bad there.

There seems to be a huge push on trying to get anything for nothing, complaining when there is nothing to really moan about, ignoring customers, the list goes on. Even office bitching over here takes on new bounds.

What do those who have tasted both sides think? I have really lost faith in the great British public!

M
Although nowhere on earth is utopia.....give me Aus ANYTIME

IMHO there's an optimism about living in Aus.......something the UK lost a LONG, LONG, LONG time ago

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:58 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Although nowhere on earth is utopia.....give me Aus ANYTIME

IMHO there's an optimism about living in Aus.......something the UK lost a LONG, LONG, LONG time ago
I am finally just starting to realise that one . . . if I could transport my nearest and dearest back to Australia, I would take the first plane out.

As I said I never thought I would hear myself saying that, it is really killing my own personality staying here.

M

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:59 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

My only direct experience of the indigenees of Britain was in the UK bush in summer - a nice lot and no whingers that I remember. Can not speak about the city folk.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:05 pm
Merlot

My impression of the British population is there are a lot out there who have everything that their forefathers didn't have in the way of material things but just seem to be unhappy with their lot.

Not everyone but a fair few I have encountered and it is such a shame.

And just the lack of courtesy and customer service, no one gives a stuff.

M

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:34 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I found the British a bit pessimistic to work with rather than whingy. I've also found the sydrome more prominent in older people. The biggest misgiving most of my friends have is the price of housing. Same as Sydney.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:52 pm
The Wonderdog

Ozger is on a distinguished road

Yes, Brits are definitely more pessimistic, which goes hand in hand with misery. The three weeks we've been in the UK in the past 5 years were so depressing.

The "you can do anything you want to if you set your mind to it" attitude they teach to kids here and the US is part of the problem. In the UK, it's a "can't do" mentality.

Career guidance here:
"What do you want to be when you grow up little Jimmy?"
"I want to be an astronaut!"
"Excellent, go fot it!"

UK:
"What do you want to be when you grow up little Jimmy?"
"I want to be an astronaut!"
"Come on, you're British, be realistic...how about we put you down as 'work in a shoe shop'?"
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

I found that people seem to be more discontented in the UK. Loads of people were having mid-life crises and just unhappy with their lot. Whereas here, the Aussies generally seem to just get on with life - even if they've got a crap 9-5 job, most have access to beach/pool great national parks.

On a certain level if your 9-5 is pretty dull wherever you are then great weather cheap/free outdoor entertainment goes quite a long way to make most people happy with their lot i.e winge less
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

My impression of the British population is there are a lot out there who have everything that their forefathers didn't have in the way of material things but just seem to be unhappy with their lot.

Not everyone but a fair few I have encountered and it is such a shame.

And just the lack of courtesy and customer service, no one gives a stuff.

M
I guess people bought the whole consumer lie about how owning "things" makes you happy. When you work hard to get that wide screen Plasma tv are you happy? If your not then what? My missus and I earn sweet F.A. If we earnt more we'd spend it and have shinier toys (well not really we'd get married sooner). We may not have all the gizzmo's but we're happy. I've got a TV (big one to and it cost bugger all), computer (not real reliable) a car (reliable but not exactly "prestige") and a roof over our head. What more do we need?

As for the lack of customer service. I have a pet theory. It isn't meant to be judgemental at all. I believe that in the UK everyone is told how they can be the boss (lord, lady... whatever) and furthermore it is their right. These people begrudge not being the boss. I believe that in the UK no-one is willing to be the worker. Not saying that they are lazy. Just that they feel cheated that someone has to serve the beer, pack boxes, stock shelves, collect the garbage.

So I'm not voting as I feel it would be unfair.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:36 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

As I said I never thought I would hear myself saying that, it is really killing my own personality staying here.

M
Couldn't have put it any better

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:41 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I blame Eastenders and Corrie. Bloody miserable programs. Funny how some want it over here.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:50 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by bondipom
I blame Eastenders and Corrie. Bloody miserable programs. Funny how some want it over here.
Good point Bondi.

Always wondered why people watch these programmes? They're so depressing. Manic escapism

Does anyone know of anyone who lives like those in Corrie or Eastenders?

Thank god my life's so boring

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:55 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCS15
I believe that in the UK no-one is willing to be the worker. Not saying that they are lazy. Just that they feel cheated that someone has to serve the beer, pack boxes, stock shelves, collect the garbage.
True, an example is the post war West Indian immigration because no one in Britain wanted to work on the busses.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by renth
True, an example is the post war West Indian immigration because no one in Britain wanted to work on the busses.
I was told that when they immigrated that they did all the job's no-one wanted. Their kids however wouldn't do them as they were "english" and who can blame them. seems you can't import a working class.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

sharkbait is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GCS15
I was told that when they immigrated that they did all the job's no-one wanted. Their kids however wouldn't do them as they were "english" and who can blame them. seems you can't import a working class.
True. This is opposed to Australia where it IS the kids that are happy to do the bottom of the ladder type jobs and the employers are happy to pay junior wages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.