Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Big moan about Banks in OZ!.....

A Big moan about Banks in OZ!.....

Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Big moan about Banks in OZ!.....

Originally Posted by robo43
Read or heard somewhere that after the big US banks, Australias are the most Profiable per number of accounts held.

rob
And remember that NAB owns some of the British banks....
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:02 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soonbethere
:curse: Banks, is anyone happy (well as much as they can be) with their bank in Oz?
I can't believe how bad it is here with regards to bank charges, we have a mortgage with ANZ (and that was a nightmare to get sorted due to total incompetencies) we bank with Westpac and wanted to set up a direct payment to ANZ, we aren't allowed to do this, we have to do either a periodical payment which costs $2 a throw, (which are fortnightly) and the bank charges $5 per month anyway, just to have the account with Westpac, then the ANZ charge $8 per month for having a mortgage with them (!!!) I have tried to sort out some way of getting round these unbelievable payments but hit a brick wall at every turn. I have been told that i will need to make payments myself through internet banking, which, for a full time working mum is a complete pain in the rear!
so the big question is, who do you bank with and are they any good!!
I work for one and I'm not happy with the service I recently recieved (was charged a 'lost card' fee for a card I didn't get ... try complaining and ...).

AND I get all the normal fees waived AND preferential mortgage rates AND I'm still not happy ... gawd help the rest.

Still, as long as the shareholders are happy ...
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:03 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robo43
Read or heard somewhere that after the big US banks, Australias are the most Profiable per number of accounts held.

rob
And another recent survey revealed they had the worst customer service of 16 (ish) 'developed' countries.

The two results are not unconnected.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:51 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I get that all the time in the UK; £1.50 seems to be the standard rate. Work that out in Australian $ and see if it's more or less than the ATMs are charging you.
Is it independently owned ATM's you get charged at e.g. ones in corner shops, pubs, or other banks ATM's?

Last edited by mackinnon; Jul 5th 2007 at 1:56 am.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:54 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

:curse: Banks, is anyone happy (well as much as they can be) with their bank in Oz?
I can't believe how bad it is here with regards to bank charges, we have a mortgage with ANZ (and that was a nightmare to get sorted due to total incompetencies) we bank with Westpac and wanted to set up a direct payment to ANZ, we aren't allowed to do this, we have to do either a periodical payment which costs $2 a throw, (which are fortnightly) and the bank charges $5 per month anyway, just to have the account with Westpac, then the ANZ charge $8 per month for having a mortgage with them (!!!) I have tried to sort out some way of getting round these unbelievable payments but hit a brick wall at every turn. I have been told that i will need to make payments myself through internet banking, which, for a full time working mum is a complete pain in the rear!
I agree, i hate the way they do banking over here. Charges for this, that, everything..

I also don't like the fact that if i want to cancel a direct debit for whatever reason, you can't do it on-line.
You have to argue it out between the company who has the DB and yourself. In UK i could cancel what i wanted in MY account.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:05 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is the only country where the bank tellers wear a balaclava
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by themerlin
Australia is the only country where the bank tellers wear a balaclava
Don't you think the Tellers take ages to serve people. There is never enough Tellers in my bank (Commonwealth) too busy chatting and having coffee round the back.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:10 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

What bugs me is the way they try and sell you something every time you go into the branch, I was told by a teller that they have to get so many referrals a month, so much for customer service

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Don't you think the Tellers take ages to serve people. There is never enough Tellers in my bank (Commonwealth) too busy chatting and having coffee round the back.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:12 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

We're with Westpac and have the usual $5 monthly fee... Personally I've found them to be very good whenever I've needed to do anything. As far as the charges go, on the business side it's much cheaper here than in the UK...
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:23 am
Now an expat!

MonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really nice

We were NEVER charged for looking at our bank balance from anther ATM in the UK, we were never charged any fee's either, (NATWEST) as long as your in the 'black' there were no fee's, if we wanted an 'advantage gold account' then there were charges per month, but this account brought free travel insurance, cheap purchases with electrical goods, cheaper insurance (home, car) and goodness knows what else, and to think we used to think the monthly fee of 8 pounds was expensive!
At least we weren't charged for general usage,
what really hacks me off is when you go to the bank the 'tellers' want you to fill the forms (paying in forms or withdrawal forms) to the exact little lines, BSB number and cheque no of the payee, and goodness knows what else, and then they charge us for doing so, what the hell are the tellers for???
And... if you want an account with a cheque book, they charge for that too, have you noticed how everyone wants paying by credit card, i don't think so matey, now thats another story!
why cant we have a cashline card....?? switch i miss you !
Its only a matter of time before all the UK banks start charging more, First direct have already started charging on accounts with low balances and low input. The banks are starting to feel the pain of all the so called unfair charge claims, they are now on a mission to start making their money back in other ways such as monthly charges and ATM fees.
Cheques are a thing of the past in the UK, Asda don't take them, not many places do now.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Is it independently owned ATM's you get charged at e.g. ones in corner shops, pubs, or other banks ATM's?
you get charged for using the ATM of any other bank than your own, whether that be an independent one or another bank's - usually about $1.50 or $2. like another poster said, you just avoid using any other ATM where at all possible.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Weve got a mortgage with ANZ and therefore have no charges on our account for anything. Maybe worth asking them!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about the banks. I have found ANZ to be pretty good customer service wise on the whole. I have a savings account with them which allows you unlimited transactions (you have to use their ATMS tho, you will still get charged for using another banks). I think it's $5 a month fees from memory, which works out cheaper than totting up all those fees for going over the measly 10 transactions per month you are allowed otherwise.

Also - you should be able to set up your regular mortgage payments through internet banking, i.e. set it automatically for a certain amount to be paid to ANZ fortnightly, saving you the $ fee and also the hassle of remembering. I can relate to the full time working mum bit and this is what I do for any recurring payments.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:35 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
you get charged for using the ATM of any other bank than your own, whether that be an independent one or another bank's - usually about $1.50 or $2. like another poster said, you just avoid using any other ATM where at all possible.
In the UK?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mackinnon
In the UK?
oh whoops, sorry, didn't look at your location .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.