Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Big moan about Banks in OZ!.....

A Big moan about Banks in OZ!.....

Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:30 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Angry A Big moan about Banks in OZ!.....

:curse: Banks, is anyone happy (well as much as they can be) with their bank in Oz?
I can't believe how bad it is here with regards to bank charges, we have a mortgage with ANZ (and that was a nightmare to get sorted due to total incompetencies) we bank with Westpac and wanted to set up a direct payment to ANZ, we aren't allowed to do this, we have to do either a periodical payment which costs $2 a throw, (which are fortnightly) and the bank charges $5 per month anyway, just to have the account with Westpac, then the ANZ charge $8 per month for having a mortgage with them (!!!) I have tried to sort out some way of getting round these unbelievable payments but hit a brick wall at every turn. I have been told that i will need to make payments myself through internet banking, which, for a full time working mum is a complete pain in the rear!
so the big question is, who do you bank with and are they any good!!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:45 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Big moan about Banks in OZ!.....

When you find a country that has banks that you like, let me know!

All financial institutions are pains in the arse in my opinion!!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soonbethere
:curse: Banks, is anyone happy (well as much as they can be) with their bank in Oz?
I can't believe how bad it is here with regards to bank charges, we have a mortgage with ANZ (and that was a nightmare to get sorted due to total incompetencies) we bank with Westpac and wanted to set up a direct payment to ANZ, we aren't allowed to do this, we have to do either a periodical payment which costs $2 a throw, (which are fortnightly) and the bank charges $5 per month anyway, just to have the account with Westpac, then the ANZ charge $8 per month for having a mortgage with them (!!!) I have tried to sort out some way of getting round these unbelievable payments but hit a brick wall at every turn. I have been told that i will need to make payments myself through internet banking, which, for a full time working mum is a complete pain in the rear!
so the big question is, who do you bank with and are they any good!!
I've just had a letter from NAB saying that if one checks one balance via an ATM one gets charged for it!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:42 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've just had a letter from NAB saying that if one checks one balance via an ATM one gets charged for it!
Yup, I have been charged by my bank (ANZ) for taking a balance at someone elses cash point!

They get you every which way here.

What made us laugh when we went in to activate our accounts, and they were explaining the charges to us, we remarked that you don't get bank charges in UK on a normal amount.

She looked stunned and asked "how do they make their money then?"

When we said through investing all our money - she just said oh!

I love the banks here - NOT - but they have you over a barrel really. I mean, you can't exactly keep it under the mattress can you?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:45 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
wouldn't it be nice to tell them to kiss ones arse
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:49 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Dont wish to deliberately buck the trend here, but we are with NAB and they are superb. Account charge is $3 a month and everything is unlimited, EFTPOS etc. Have been in to see them a time or two about this and that, and they are always superb.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:55 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Dont wish to deliberately buck the trend here, but we are with NAB and they are superb. Account charge is $3 a month and everything is unlimited, EFTPOS etc. Have been in to see them a time or two about this and that, and they are always superb.
Thats good to hear, sorry to pry, but do you know if they charge extra to pay your mortgage to another bank?
I may give them a call, thanks!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:58 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
wouldn't it be nice to tell them to kiss ones arse
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:08 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: A Big moan about Banks in OZ!.....

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Yup, I have been charged by my bank (ANZ) for taking a balance at someone elses cash point!
I get that all the time in the UK; £1.50 seems to be the standard rate. Work that out in Australian $ and see if it's more or less than the ATMs are charging you.

What made us laugh when we went in to activate our accounts, and they were explaining the charges to us, we remarked that you don't get bank charges in UK on a normal amount.

She looked stunned and asked "how do they make their money then?"

When we said through investing all our money - she just said oh!
You should have added "They also make their money by charging ridiculous amounts for default fees and overdrafts". Hence this thread.

Nothing is free; particularly when it comes from a bank. You may not be charged overtly - but you'll be charged one way or another.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jul 4th 2007 at 2:14 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:24 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I get that all the time in the UK; £1.50 seems to be the standard rate. Work that out in Australian $ and see if it's more or less than the ATMs are charging you.

You should have added "They also make their money by charging ridiculous amounts for default fees and overdrafts". Hence this thread.

Nothing is free; particularly when it comes from a bank. You may not be charged overtly - but you'll be charged one way or another.

We were NEVER charged for looking at our bank balance from anther ATM in the UK, we were never charged any fee's either, (NATWEST) as long as your in the 'black' there were no fee's, if we wanted an 'advantage gold account' then there were charges per month, but this account brought free travel insurance, cheap purchases with electrical goods, cheaper insurance (home, car) and goodness knows what else, and to think we used to think the monthly fee of 8 pounds was expensive!
At least we weren't charged for general usage,
what really hacks me off is when you go to the bank the 'tellers' want you to fill the forms (paying in forms or withdrawal forms) to the exact little lines, BSB number and cheque no of the payee, and goodness knows what else, and then they charge us for doing so, what the hell are the tellers for???
And... if you want an account with a cheque book, they charge for that too, have you noticed how everyone wants paying by credit card, i don't think so matey, now thats another story!
why cant we have a cashline card....?? switch i miss you !
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:37 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A Big moan about Banks in OZ!.....

Originally Posted by soonbethere
We were NEVER charged for looking at our bank balance from anther ATM in the UK
That's really great for you, but it hasn't been my experience.

we were never charged any fee's either, (NATWEST) as long as your in the 'black' there were no fee's, if we wanted an 'advantage gold account' then there were charges per month, but this account brought free travel insurance, cheap purchases with electrical goods, cheaper insurance (home, car) and goodness knows what else, and to think we used to think the monthly fee of 8 pounds was expensive!
Mark my words, they were making money somehow. Banks aren't charities; they don't stand on the high street giving out free cash to every passing punter.

At least we weren't charged for general usage,
what really hacks me off is when you go to the bank the 'tellers' want you to fill the forms (paying in forms or withdrawal forms) to the exact little lines, BSB number and cheque no of the payee, and goodness knows what else, and then they charge us for doing so, what the hell are the tellers for???
Yes, that's one of my primary gripes with Australian banks too. Cheques should be free, like they are in the UK. Having said that, cheques are pretty inconvenient, and most Australians just don't bother using them.

And... if you want an account with a cheque book, they charge for that too, have you noticed how everyone wants paying by credit card, i don't think so matey, now thats another story!

why cant we have a cashline card....?? switch i miss you !
I had an ANZ Maestro card when I lived in Australia. Very good account; a $5 monthly fee is all I paid.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:53 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
I agree. We bank with ANZ. $5 per month (2 quid) and as long as we don't use other cashpoints (easily done plenty of ANZ ones) then that is all we pay. Our mortgage is with NAB and we pay nothing to pay them by direct debit. We have just remortgaged to do some renovations, we banked our cheque just 2 weeks after application. All straight forward and easy.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

Read or heard somewhere that after the big US banks, Australias are the most Profiable per number of accounts held.

rob
Old Jul 4th 2007, 4:00 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: A Big moan about Banks in OZ!.....

Originally Posted by robo43
Read or heard somewhere that after the big US banks, Australias are the most Profiable per number of accounts held.

rob
That wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 6:18 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Smile Re: A Big moan about Banks in OZ!.....

I guess they must be struggling to turn a profit if they have to resort to these small charges. Give em a break!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.