Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Originally Posted by littda01
Noone can predict the timing of these things... they're often dependent on intangibles such as market sentiment, as opposed to specific events/thresholds.

For example, the guys such as Roubini and Keen who predicted the GFC were both out in their timings, but they did get the directional analysis spot on.

Same applies to the Aus housing market. By any measure, its a huge bubble. The only question is when and how it deflates, which it must.
Word.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

@Asprilla - as I was a bit rushed, I forgot to mention the most relevant "slow burst" bubble.

Melbourne house prices peaked in 1891 and troughed around 1915.

Thats a fairly gradual pop :-)

Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:39 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

@Asprilla - as I was a bit rushed, I forgot to mention the most relevant "slow burst" bubble.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_c9sjMyNxqq....+27+19.04.gif
I think I'll have to apologise to you on this... you're right, I'm wrong.

I was thinking about it this morning.... and my earlier post was too simplistic. Yes, if you are looking at a graph showing a 10yr period, then the technology bubble can clearly be seen to burst, but a property bubble wouldn't necessarily show up in the same way.

But look at the graph again, over a 100 year period, and you see a different picture.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

No problem, understood.

Your point on sensationalising - on both sides of the argument - was certainly valid.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
The funny this is, CBA have been caught out fudging stats to cover up the Aussie housing bubble, wonder why they feel the need to do this? Do you work for the CBA ABCD???

http://www.smh.com.au/business/cba-t...914-15b0o.html
I've not produced any figures for the CBA since about 1992

Actually those CBA stats that you say are fudged, in what way are they fudged ?

Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:37 am
ABCDiamond

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_c9sjMyNxqq....+27+19.04.gif
I wonder what effect, if any, world war 1 had on those prices.

Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've not produced any figures for the CBA since about 1992

Actually those CBA stats that you say are fudged, in what way are they fudged ?
http://www.thirdwavegroup.com.au/tid...ousing-market/
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:59 am
ABCDiamond

I see...
Perhaps CBA did not deliberately produce a misleading presentation,
quoted from your link.

What is the difference between the Demographia numbers and the UBS numbers. ?

Everyone seems to use different numbers to justify whatever they want to justify, and ignore reality whenever it gets in the way.

Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

I wonder what effect, if any, world war 1 had on those prices.
ABCD, the CBA fudging of numbers received worldwide coverage, to the point where CBA cancelled a meeting with a potential investor. Essentially they are all over the place, they have selectively used different sources to present the best-possible story.

As regards WW1, I am sure it had an effect, but probably the rise and fall of the bubble was a lot related to the gold rush and its aftermath.

But as you will see from the chart, it took until 2001 for prices to recover to their 1891 levels.

No doubt there is not the same inflation this time, but its always worth understanding history because it reminds you that the fundamentals of economics do not change a whole lot over time. Asset spruikers always argue that "something is different" this time.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:05 am
ABCDiamond

I see... quoted from your link.

Everyone seems to use different numbers to justify whatever they want to justify, and ignore reality whenever it gets in the way.
Thinking about it, just like this thread title... Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

And what are the real migrant numbers ?

ABS figures for Number of movements ; Permanent Settler Arrivals ;
12 months ended Mar-2009 162,310
12 months ended Mar-2010 143,260

Down by 11.7%

But hey, that's not much, so let's add students and temporary worker visas into the migrant numbers, to make it more newsworthy

32% ... Now that's a better story

Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

"So why the large divergence between the CBA’s and Demographia’s numbers? Well it gets down to how they measure household disposable income (the denominator of the ratio). You see, instead of using the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) measure of median household disposable income - $1,366 per week or $71,018 per year as at 2007/08 (see below table) – the CBA has used UBS’ estimated average disposable income figure of $98,000 as its starting point! The scary thing is that the UBS estimate wrongly includes ‘imputed rent’ in its calculation of disposable income, which is the estimated market rent that a dwelling would attract if it were to be commercially rented.

By contrast, Demographia's household income data appears to be based on single full-time earnings, which yields a lower disposable income figure than the ABS.

It shouldn't necessarily matter which disposable income measure is used as long as they are applied consistently across countries and across time periods. However, with the CBA applying the higher UBS measure of disposable income for Australia whilst using the lower Demographia measure for the other countries, they have deliberately made Australia’s house prices appear much more affordable relative to overseas markets, whilst down playing the risk of a housing bubble. Very sneaky.
"

I assume that this means UBS included some type of 'projected rental income' factor to add in the effects of a homeowners home value. Nice in theory, and maybe appropriate to some analyses, but not reflecting reality and not appropriate in a discussion about affordability.

http://www.unconventionaleconomist.c....html#comments
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:11 am
ABCDiamond

ABCD, the CBA fudging of numbers received worldwide coverage
I am wary about 'relying' on what I read in the media, and like to try to check things first.

The pregnant man also received worldwide coverage, but it turned out he was a woman first

What in hell am I doing trying to protect the CBA.... I have absolutely no reason to, they are my least favourite bank...

Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Are you deliberately playing dumb? You read the article...
In order to make their point, the CBA have used the Demographia numbers as a reference point for all the non-Australian cities, yet they’ve used the UBS numbers for the Australian cities.
Why on earth would the bank do that?
Simply because if they’d used the Demographia numbers it would draw exactly the opposite conclusion to the argument they’re trying to make. The fact is, they’ve conveniently grabbed the bunch of numbers that fits their argument and discarded the ones that don’t.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

I am wary about 'relying' on what I read in the media, and like to try to check things first.

The pregnant man also received worldwide coverage, but it turned out he was a woman first

What in hell am I doing trying to protect the CBA.... I have absolutely no reason to, they are my least favourite bank...
Fair enough, IMO in this case I think the evidence the CBA are "at it" is pretty clear cut. I find it hard to believe they thought they could get away with this, its schoolboy stuff. Did they not notice the GFC, which came about largely because of over-optimistic mortgage investments?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:26 am
ABCDiamond

"So why the large divergence between the CBA’s and Demographia’s numbers? Well it gets down to how they measure household disposable income (the denominator of the ratio). You see, instead of using the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) measure of median household disposable income - $1,366 per week or $71,018 per year as at 2007/08 (see below table) – the CBA has used UBS’ estimated average disposable income figure of $98,000 as its starting point! The scary thing is that the UBS estimate wrongly includes ‘imputed rent’ in its calculation of disposable income, which is the estimated market rent that a dwelling would attract if it were to be commercially rented.

By contrast, Demographia's household income data appears to be based on single full-time earnings, which yields a lower disposable income figure than the ABS.

It shouldn't necessarily matter which disposable income measure is used as long as they are applied consistently across countries and across time periods. However, with the CBA applying the higher UBS measure of disposable income for Australia whilst using the lower Demographia measure for the other countries, they have deliberately made Australia’s house prices appear much more affordable relative to overseas markets, whilst down playing the risk of a housing bubble. Very sneaky.
"

I assume that this means UBS included some type of 'projected rental income' factor to add in the effects of a homeowners home value. Nice in theory, and maybe appropriate to some analyses, but not reflecting reality and not appropriate in a discussion about affordability.

http://www.unconventionaleconomist.c....html#comments
So it should be these figures then:
You see, instead of using the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) measure of median household disposable income - $1,366 per week or $71,018 per year as at 2007/08
which gives the median Sydney house price in 2007/08 as $646,000 ($71,018 x 9.2)

But the ABS shows a figure of only $500k.

I personally think the balance lies somewhere in the middle.

And fancy using 'Bristol and Bath' in the UK, in a comparison with New York, San Francisco and Sydney , where did London disappear to ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.