Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Old Sep 12th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

I've no idea whether this is truth or spin but in my opinion, as it has been in the last couple of years is that Australia has officially priced itself out from British migrants.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...-1225918974225

Big fall in migrant arrivals - 32 per cent fall in the past year From: The Sunday Telegraph September 12, 2010 2:49AM

AUSTRALIA is heading towards recording its biggest drop in immigration numbers in 90 years.
Although official data will not be published until next month by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, analysis of long-term entrant figures - an advance indicator of official migration levels - show a 32 per cent fall in the past year.

Demographic experts Macroplan Australia said the number of long-term and permanent entrants - including permanent settlers, students and temporary workers - fell by 111,000 people, from 341,000 to 230,000 in the 12 months to July 31.

"The fall is the greatest since just after the First World War, when arrivals were boosted to record numbers of returning soldiers," said Robert Hall of Macroplan.

"The following year, numbers obviously subsided back to normal levels." That aside, the decline in the 12 months is the largest since 1901.
The cost of living and housing have gone up to incredible levels, the exchange rate for would be migrants is dismal and yet people still believe that Poms will come here at any price to 'get away' from the UK. This is obviously not the case as the drop in migrant numbers in this article is particulary telling.

As I've banged on and on in the past on this forum, people choose to come to Aus for mainly 'economic' reasons, sure, not everyone but a vast majority. That is, the opportunity for nice house with pool with cash left over to play about with or even no mortgage at all - it WAS a blue collar worker's paradise but no more.

What are your thoughts forum readers? Any other reasons for a huge drop in the number of migrants to Aus?
Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

As much as I love it here and it is now my home, I wouldn't consider coming now. Cost of living has risen, house prices down in the UK. Due to losses on property and the amount of debt people seem to have in the UK these days, people considering emigrating don't have as much cashflow as they seemed to do when I came 5 years ago. When people do come they expect more than they can afford and end up bitter and return back to the UK with a tainted view of Australia. My opinions only.

Personally I am glad it is dwindling. I don't think Perth can stand anymore people until the infrastructure for people in the far north/south corridors has been improved.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:45 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Originally Posted by northernbird
As much as I love it here and it is now my home, I wouldn't consider coming now. Cost of living has risen, house prices down in the UK. Due to losses on property and the amount of debt people seem to have in the UK these days, people considering emigrating don't have as much cashflow as they seemed to do when I came 5 years ago. When people do come they expect more than they can afford and end up bitter and return back to the UK with a tainted view of Australia. My opinions only.
I reckon I agree with all of that. Especially the returning to UK bit.

BB
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:16 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

" it WAS a blue collar worker's paradise but no more. "

I think it was a white collar paradise as well.

The changes over the last couple of years means that it's not very attractive for people with equity but more attractive to people without equity (regardless of whether they are blue or white collar).
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I am glad it is dwindling. I don't think Perth can stand anymore people until the infrastructure for people in the far north/south corridors has been improved.
I agree with your views 100% although I might add that Australians are up there with the personal debt levels as a percentage of GDP.

Many migrants do not realise the added costs of medical and schooling when they get here which was more or less 'free' in the UK. That alone could cost roughly a $1K a month for a family of 4, of course, you don't have to have it if you choose not to.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:29 am
ABCDiamond

ABS figures for Number of movements ; Permanent Settler Arrivals ;
12 months ended Mar-1994 66,580
12 months ended Mar-1995 83,230
12 months ended Mar-1996 100,900
12 months ended Mar-1997 87,750
12 months ended Mar-1998 76,590
12 months ended Mar-1999 83,440
12 months ended Mar-2000 90,460
12 months ended Mar-2001 104,190
12 months ended Mar-2002 91,640
12 months ended Mar-2003 90,780
12 months ended Mar-2004 108,110
12 months ended Mar-2005 122,030
12 months ended Mar-2006 129,740
12 months ended Mar-2007 136,300
12 months ended Mar-2008 146,930
12 months ended Mar-2009 162,310
12 months ended Mar-2010 143,260

The fall from 341,000 to 230,000 in the 12 months to July 31, relating to Migrants, Temporary workers and Students combined, could easily be related to the current poor value of the other currencies when looking at Australia.

At the current $1.65 to the £, Australia will be expensive if your funds are in another currency.

Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
" it WAS a blue collar worker's paradise but no more. "

I think it was a white collar paradise as well.

The changes over the last couple of years means that it's not very attractive for people with equity but more attractive to people without equity (regardless of whether they are blue or white collar).
I disagree there. White collar workers in the UK do much better financially than here IMO. Tradies are much lower paid in UK than here, that's why renovations, car repairs, haircuts, etc cost a fortune here. There are more blue collar worker opportunities than white collar (in Perth anyway). Drive around the suburbs of an evening and it's a white van parked up on almost every other verge/carport.

My 'middle class' associates in the UK wouldn't dream of migrating to Australia, not enough culture, the locals too brash and unsophisticated (their views, not mine) and too far from their need to emerse in European culture when the mood takes them. Anyone who does 'well' or makes a name for themselves in Australia tends to piss off to Europe or America, rarely vice versa and it's something that's noticed by the aspiring classes.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The fall from 341,000 to 230,000 in the 12 months to July 31, relating to Migrants, Temporary workers and Students combined, could easily be related to the current poor value of the other currencies when looking at Australia.
Agreed.

Those who thought migrants would keep on pouring in regardless were delusional. Hence my theory on house prices stumbling as the price is obviously more important than supply or demand. Price too high - people back off and find an alternative or don't participate.

Students have alternatives, my guess is that the US is offering better value for study with the weak USD$ or even NZ for this region.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
White collar workers in the UK do much better financially than here IMO.
In my profession this is not true. Sure guys in the UK working in oil and gas and rail can still earn big money, but this work is drying up and new work is not happening. In WA, virtually all engineering guys earn good or very good money.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your views 100% although I might add that Australians are up there with the personal debt levels as a percentage of GDP.

Many migrants do not realise the added costs of medical and schooling when they get here which was more or less 'free' in the UK. That alone could cost roughly a $1K a month for a family of 4, of course, you don't have to have it if you choose not to.
I am not sure about the stats regarding debt but my experience with friends tells me that more of my British friends/family seem to have the 'want it all, bugger the cost' attitude than my Australian friends.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 8:40 am
ABCDiamond

Agreed.

Those who thought migrants would keep on pouring in regardless were delusional. Hence my theory on house prices stumbling as the price is obviously more important than supply or demand. Price too high - people back off and find an alternative or don't participate.

Students have alternatives, my guess is that the US is offering better value for study with the weak USD$ or even NZ for this region.
But what happened in July ?

Monthly movements ; Permanent and Long-term Arrivals ;
40,090 Apr-2010
34,410 May-2010
39,640 Jun-2010
61,580 Jul-2010 A massive rise ?

and

Monthly movements ; Long-term (more than one year) Visitors arriving ;
21,670 Apr-2010
16,960 May-2010
21,070 Jun-2010
43,020 Jul-2010

and

Short-term (less than one year) Visitors arriving ;
430,200 Apr-2010
376,400 May-2010
405,400 Jun-2010
514,800 Jul-2010 another big rise ?

and:
Number of movements ; Education ;
20,500 Apr-2010
13,800 May-2010
20,700 Jun-2010
68,800 Jul-2010

Old Sep 12th 2010, 8:44 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I disagree there. White collar workers in the UK do much better financially than here IMO. Tradies are much lower paid in UK than here, that's why renovations, car repairs, haircuts, etc cost a fortune here. There are more blue collar worker opportunities than white collar (in Perth anyway). Drive around the suburbs of an evening and it's a white van parked up on almost every other verge/carport.

My 'middle class' associates in the UK wouldn't dream of migrating to Australia, not enough culture, the locals too brash and unsophisticated (their views, not mine) and too far from their need to emerse in European culture when the mood takes them. Anyone who does 'well' or makes a name for themselves in Australia tends to piss off to Europe or America, rarely vice versa and it's something that's noticed by the aspiring classes.
I disagree too. A lot of tradies on here complain about the poor wages here compared to the UK. Certainly the tradies I use here charge less than the ones I used in the UK.

I know quite a few white collar workers who are having a ball of a time here.

It comes down to equity.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Sep 12th 2010 at 8:47 am.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 8:51 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I disagree too. A lot of tradies on here complain about the poor wages here compared to the UK. Certainly the tradies I use here charge less than the ones I used in the UK.

I know quite a few white collar workers who are having a ball of a time here.

It comes down to equity.
Yep agree too. As a white collar wearer (if I must be so pigeon-holed in this class less society) I earn considerably more than in UK.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 8:58 am
ABCDiamond

I am not sure about the stats regarding debt but my experience with friends tells me that more of my British friends/family seem to have the 'want it all, bugger the cost' attitude than my Australian friends.
Reserve Bank figures show mortgage, credit card and personal loan debts now stand at $1.2 trillion, equalling $56,000 for every man, woman and child in Australia. (the breakdown of that figure is about $50,000 on mortgages and $6,000 on other loans and credit cards)

The Personal assets figure is also very high though.

The NET personal debt, after allowing for asset values is a much more interesting, but lower, figure.

The UK figure is about £25,000 per person (including mortgages)
Average household debt in the UK is ~ £8,628 (excluding mortgages).
http://www.creditaction.org.uk/debt-statistics.html

Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

My 'middle class' associates in the UK wouldn't dream of migrating to Australia, not enough culture, the locals too brash and unsophisticated (their views, not mine) and too far from their need to emerse in European culture when the mood takes them.
Do you mean Australia?

Or do you mean Perth?

None of those negatives apply to Melbourne for instance.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.