Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bg gas fitter looking at moving to sydney!!

bg gas fitter looking at moving to sydney!!

Old Oct 8th 2012, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

sherring20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bg gas fitter looking at moving to sydney!!

hi thanks everyone for your time!! am just in need of a few questions to be answered please, i work for british gas and have done for 10 years and have been through there apprentiship!!
Do my qualifications stand for anything in sydney?? if not what courses do i have to go on and what time length are they??can you work while doing them??how much are they?? and also is there alot of work out in sydney for gas fitters??? thanks alot for any help, am desperate
Old Oct 8th 2012, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice
Default Re: bg gas fitter looking at moving to sydney!!

Originally Posted by sherring20
hi thanks everyone for your time!! am just in need of a few questions to be answered please, i work for british gas and have done for 10 years and have been through there apprentiship!!
Do my qualifications stand for anything in sydney?? if not what courses do i have to go on and what time length are they??can you work while doing them??how much are they?? and also is there alot of work out in sydney for gas fitters??? thanks alot for any help, am desperate
I know nothing specific about gas fitters but I think most trades have to re-qualify for Australian regs and that this can cost a bit/take some time.

We lived in Sydney for a while and despite both being on decent wages ($250k+ combined) we found it very expensive and it would have been a stretch to buy the house we wanted anywhere near town, we also had a pretty good deposit from previous house sale, ended up renting a small apartment (worth $1.2M) in the CBD. So check how much you could earn and how much accommodation costs.

IMHO Sydney is lovely around the harbour, ordinary elsewhere (unless you go as far out as the blue mountains or can afford to be near the beach), and hugely expensive everywhere - have you considered other areas where your money will buy more?
Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of what jobs there may be available anywhere, you need to ascertain if you are even qualified to apply for a visa. You need to (if you haven't already) go to the DIAC website, do the visa wizard and read up about SkillSelect until you understand it backwards.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Of course, I assumed OP had a visa, if not thats the first (and probably biggest) hurdle.