Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beware with Singapore Airlines

Beware with Singapore Airlines

Old May 1st 2006, 12:24 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware with Singapore Airlines

The rules with Singapore airliones re migrant baggage allowance are that you are permitted 40kg for your trip provided you have an unused pr visa, have prior authorisation in writing and your luggage is checked straight through to your final destination. So if you are stopping over you will not be entitled to the migrant allownace.

Lynn
Old May 1st 2006, 12:35 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

We had the complete opposite when emigrating with Singapore Air.

After seeing us laden up with (just over our 40kg each) at Manchester Airport the staff bi-passed the check in desk to the extra baggage Point (you know the one where you put golf clubs/prams etc) and we did the whole check in there, took us about 5 minutes from entering the airport AND they didn't even weigh our extra baggage (ELC dolls house) and include it in out total!

After flying Air Newzealand, BA/ Quantas, Singapore (in our experience anyway) wins hands down and I would pay extra to fly with them rather than others.

BTW I breastfed no problems

LJJ
Old May 1st 2006, 1:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melibeam
It best to make sure when your airline tickets are issued that the 40kg luggage allowance is printed on them, then they cant argue about it!

Hope you get your money back!

Mel
I had 40kgs printed on my ticket & I still had big hassles. They let me through after a big arguement. So having it on your ticket is no guarantee. SIA at heathrow were tossers, SIA in Singapore were great.

I think the system is a lottery.
Old May 1st 2006, 1:23 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
good to hear! I suspect it was more an issue for the stewardess but I am still yet to hear (after 1 week!) any kind of response or confirmation of my letter/email.
Old May 1st 2006, 1:51 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
good to hear! I suspect it was more an issue for the stewardess but I am still yet to hear (after 1 week!) any kind of response or confirmation of my letter/email.

Honestly though how anybody can have a problem with it is beyond me . What can be a more natural thing?

I think a nice threatening letter about contacting the International papers may make them move a little quicker. Imagine the millions of breastfeeding women around the world who would boycott the airline over that - it had to be an inexperienced air steward, there must be people feeding babies every day on international flights.

Let us know how you get on I'm curious now.

LJJ
Old May 1st 2006, 7:04 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
We had the complete opposite when emigrating with Singapore Air.

After seeing us laden up with (just over our 40kg each) at Manchester Airport the staff bi-passed the check in desk to the extra baggage Point (you know the one where you put golf clubs/prams etc) and we did the whole check in there, took us about 5 minutes from entering the airport AND they didn't even weigh our extra baggage (ELC dolls house) and include it in out total!

After flying Air Newzealand, BA/ Quantas, Singapore (in our experience anyway) wins hands down and I would pay extra to fly with them rather than others.

LJJ
HI
Glad we are flying out of Manchester, after your post (if we ever get to that stage!) looks like Heathrow have a problem with staff, the age old story, customer service in whatever capacity is soooo important to get it right every time, word of mouth can destroy or build a company....
stil want to fly with Singapore though
Old May 1st 2006, 7:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soonbethere
HI
Glad we are flying out of Manchester, after your post (if we ever get to that stage!) looks like Heathrow have a problem with staff, the age old story, customer service in whatever capacity is soooo important to get it right every time, word of mouth can destroy or build a company....
stil want to fly with Singapore though
The problem with SIA in the UK is that their staff are not SIA but rather agents working for SIA. In Singapore their staff are actually SIA.

Makes a big difference.
Old May 1st 2006, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the for warning.We are due to fly out on the 20th May and are doing a 3 night stopover in Singapore.We will either e-mail the airline before hand or get trailfinders to get it in writing for us as we have gone through them before we fly.Good on yah for letting us all know.Valuable info.!!!
Old May 1st 2006, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

It was terrible that you were told not to breastfeed in-flight. I hope you've got the stewardess' name written down and put it in the complaint letter. Did she explain why you shouldn't breastfeed at the time? No one should have the right to stop you from feeding and comforting your baby unless the environment was dangerous.

I've flown recently on Qantas and Cathay Pacific with my 4-month-old daughter. The flight attendants on all flights said the best thing to comfort the baby during take-off and landing was to breastfed her, and encouraged me to do so. During the flight from Brisbane to Hong Kong, the flight attendant sitting diagonally from me was male and there was a male passenger sitting near me - neither batted an eye when I breastfed.

Mrs JTL
Old May 1st 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Guzzler&Sas has a brilliant futureGuzzler&Sas has a brilliant futureGuzzler&Sas has a brilliant futureGuzzler&Sas has a brilliant futureGuzzler&Sas has a brilliant futureGuzzler&Sas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by movetoperth
The rules with Singapore airliones re migrant baggage allowance are that you are permitted 40kg for your trip provided you have an unused pr visa, have prior authorisation in writing and your luggage is checked straight through to your final destination. So if you are stopping over you will not be entitled to the migrant allownace.

Lynn
Totally agree about the visa part, but we have been told we can have a stopover and keep the migrant allowance, this has been confirmed in writing.
I guess the staff all need to singing off the same hymn sheet?

Guzzler
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

zermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud of

hmmm... not my favourite airline at the moment - they prevented me from breastfeeding my infant boy (3 months) by telling me before I started that I was not allowed to. thank god it was only a 2.5hour flight rather than a long haul! My son was screaming in hunger and I was in major discomfort!
I've written a letter of complaint to them, but have not had any reply back yet.
That is terrible!!! Your poor baby! Surely they would rather have a peaceful baby than one crying the whole flight. Feeding them is a great way to unblock their ears. Have done that with both my children.

I did a long haul with Singapore 5 years ago and fed my son on the flight and had no probs but I suppose it must vary per the crew they have on.
Old May 3rd 2006, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

So summing up it:

appears to matter/not matter whether you have confirmation in writing about the extra baggage allowance; it appears to matter/not matter which airport you check in at; it appears to matter/not matter whether you are stopping over or flying straight through - depending which experience you take into account. I would also add that an experience at say Manchester will probably be different if you get a different person on the check in desk to the one who bent the rules. Very clear!

FWIW we've flown SIA 3 times and Emirates more than that and it is Emirates every time for us, we even prefer Malaysia or Cathay to SIA but each to their own though. All the SIA flights we've been on have been overly full and stuffy, grub so-so and I don't watch movies or play games so the entertainment makes no odds to me; we were late in getting our connection in Singapore once and got put onto Emirates to Melbourne and it was a far nicer flight (but 'Singapore girl' is usually very pleasing on the eye).

OzTennis
Old May 3rd 2006, 4:54 pm
CDT
Forum Regular

CDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzTennis
So summing up it:

All the SIA flights we've been on have been overly full and stuffy, .....

We recently flew with SIA from Manchester to Melbourne and found every flight to be asolutely full. There seemed to be a lot of code sharing with Virgin Atlantic and Air NZ, although I know other airlines do that too.

I had wondered if it was just our particular flights or have many others found for SIA flights to be full?

Great service otherwise. Maybe it was because we checked in early but at Manchester check-in we only had to queue for about 10 minutes and at Melbourne about 2 ! I did commend the check-in clerks on the short queues.........didn`t get me an upgrade though

We`ve found Emirates to be less full but always had long queues at check-in. But otherwise good service.
Old May 3rd 2006, 5:43 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Hi did you have anything in writing, as due to our house sale or should I say lack of it !!! we may have to validate first, would be grateful of the reply, still can't decide whether to go via Singapore or the USA, If Lacey is out there can you tell me who you booked with, I think I remember reading you are going via Florida. Cheers.
By the way good luck getting your money back to the OP do not give up.
Lace is without Internet at the moment in preperation for the big move
Old May 4th 2006, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDT
We recently flew with SIA from Manchester to Melbourne and found every flight to be asolutely full. There seemed to be a lot of code sharing with Virgin Atlantic and Air NZ, although I know other airlines do that too.

I had wondered if it was just our particular flights or have many others found for SIA flights to be full?

Great service otherwise. Maybe it was because we checked in early but at Manchester check-in we only had to queue for about 10 minutes and at Melbourne about 2 ! I did commend the check-in clerks on the short queues.........didn`t get me an upgrade though

We`ve found Emirates to be less full but always had long queues at check-in. But otherwise good service.
Yes, almost identical experiences to you. We also do the Manchester-Melbourne route often but can now do Glasgow-Melbourne with Emirates. It doesn't seem to matter how early you are with Emirates, there are always lots of early birds already queued up, very swift with Malaysia and not too bad with SIA.

As I said we once were delayed from Manchester on SIA and missed our SIA connection in Singapore but we were put onto an Emirates flight to Melbourne and what a difference! Suddenly we had extra seats to stretch out on and the air in the cabin was much fresher, the food better and the service was fine. We've subsequently used Emirates 6 or 7 times and we've always found the same thing - never full, cabin air fresher, excellent grub and Dubai Duty Free can't be bettered anywhere. I can see why SIA is popular though because the service is very good, inflight entertainment excellent.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.