British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Beware with Singapore Airlines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/beware-singapore-airlines-369660/)

ken.rooney Apr 25th 2006 3:58 am

Beware with Singapore Airlines

Hi all i am now in Perth and just thought i would warn people flying withSingapore Airlines. I Flew out to emigrate and have a PR visa that was to be validated for the first time. I checked with the agent when booking the flight am i entitled to 40kg, they said yes if your emigrating first time over there.

I checked in at Manchester Airport and true to form was allowed 40kg, it was actually 42kg but they were ok no problems.

After a 3 day stopover in Singapore i checked in at Singapore Airport, guess what? They said i was only allowed 30kg, they then hit me with a bill for $300+ dollars over £100. I asked to see the manger he said it was 30kg and would not swerve on it, after loads of hassle and raised blood pressure i had to pay the extra or not fly. I am in the process of trying to get my money back but i am not confident. In the mean time i am on a 1 man mission to warn as many people to get it in writing from them before you fly.

There are many post on here about it but the bottom line is the guy at Singapore told me if you would have had it in writing you would have been ok.

I will keep you all informed of what happens but before you book guys get it in writing or beware booking with Singapore if you dont want a big excess baggage bill.

PS im loving perth so far! :p

232Bar Apr 25th 2006 5:04 am

Re: Beware with Singapore Airlines

We had a similar issue as our visa had already been validated but we explained to Singapore Airlines that this was the emigrating flight this time and they gave us 40kg. We stopped in S/pore for 1 night and when we returned to the airport they tried to do the same to us. I had the emails I had exchanged with the airline while still in the UK stating emigration, already validated, 1 night stop over etc etc and they still ok'd the 40kg emigration allowance. I stood my ground and told them it was prior approval by the airline and asked for one of the managers. I gave him the email, told him I had agreed it all with the airline etc etc and they let us through.

Moral of the story - get it all in writing and stand your ground, especially if you're doing a stopover :)

robos Apr 25th 2006 5:18 am

thanks for the warning you guys

good luck ken.rooney

jan xx:D

mand8002 Apr 25th 2006 5:41 am

When we first came over we were ok as we did not have a stopover in Singapore so the baggage went straight through.

melibeam Apr 25th 2006 6:50 am

It best to make sure when your airline tickets are issued that the 40kg luggage allowance is printed on them, then they cant argue about it!

Hope you get your money back!

Mel

Gill C Apr 25th 2006 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ken.rooney
Hi all i am now in Perth and just thought i would warn people flying withSingapore Airlines. I Flew out to emigrate and have a PR visa that was to be validated for the first time. I checked with the agent when booking the flight am i entitled to 40kg, they said yes if your emigrating first time over there.

I checked in at Manchester Airport and true to form was allowed 40kg, it was actually 42kg but they were ok no problems.

After a 3 day stopover in Singapore i checked in at Singapore Airport, guess what? They said i was only allowed 30kg, they then hit me with a bill for $300+ dollars over £100. I asked to see the manger he said it was 30kg and would not swerve on it, after loads of hassle and raised blood pressure i had to pay the extra or not fly. I am in the process of trying to get my money back but i am not confident. In the mean time i am on a 1 man mission to warn as many people to get it in writing from them before you fly.

There are many post on here about it but the bottom line is the guy at Singapore told me if you would have had it in writing you would have been ok.

I will keep you all informed of what happens but before you book guys get it in writing or beware booking with Singapore if you dont want a big excess baggage bill.

We used Singapore Airlines and had no problems, in fact they were extremely helpful and confirmed the baggage allowance by email, guess you got someone having a bad day, hope you get your money back OK

Tuxtrip Apr 25th 2006 6:59 am

If you are flying right through to Australia, without a stopover, then the 40kg will apply all the way. By having a stopover, you are exiting through customs and then re-entering, re-checking luggage, etc. I think this is where your problems arise.

worzel Apr 25th 2006 10:09 am

Originally Posted by 232Bar
We had a similar issue as our visa had already been validated but we explained to Singapore Airlines that this was the emigrating flight this time and they gave us 40kg. We stopped in S/pore for 1 night and when we returned to the airport they tried to do the same to us. I had the emails I had exchanged with the airline while still in the UK stating emigration, already validated, 1 night stop over etc etc and they still ok'd the 40kg emigration allowance. I stood my ground and told them it was prior approval by the airline and asked for one of the managers. I gave him the email, told him I had agreed it all with the airline etc etc and they let us through.

Moral of the story - get it all in writing and stand your ground, especially if you're doing a stopover :)

Same here - but after checking with her supervisor the woman on check-in told us that "next time we emigrate" to get special migrant tickets - wtf???

soonbethere Apr 25th 2006 10:31 am

Originally Posted by ken.rooney

Didn't realise this, thanks for tipping us off, I also didn't realise that you were there already, you don't hang about do you!!
Glad everything else is ok, keep us all posted, especially about Perth, we are hoping to join you out there soon !!
Good luck with the refund !

cj23 Apr 25th 2006 11:14 am

Thanks for the warning. We have just booked with Singapore airlines to fly on 12th May stopping over in Singapore for 4 nights then on to Perth. We phoned up to request the allowance and the guy in London said you are alllowed 40kg even if you stop over. We asked for an email to confirm this but he wouldn't send us one - said it was not necessary.
Now you've got me worried.

Cath

billy0911 Apr 25th 2006 11:57 am

Hi
We believe in the power of the word of mouth and when our time comes we will not travel with Singapore airline
so thanks for telling us your experience

Billy & Vicki

Wendy Apr 25th 2006 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by cj23
Thanks for the warning. We have just booked with Singapore airlines to fly on 12th May stopping over in Singapore for 4 nights then on to Perth. We phoned up to request the allowance and the guy in London said you are alllowed 40kg even if you stop over. We asked for an email to confirm this but he wouldn't send us one - said it was not necessary.
Now you've got me worried.

Cath

E-mail them and ask them how much your allowance is for a migrant fare, they will send you a reply then ;)

cj23 Apr 25th 2006 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by WendyC
E-mail them and ask them how much your allowance is for a migrant fare, they will send you a reply then ;)

Ok will try that. Thanks.

Cath

rossifumi Apr 25th 2006 12:06 pm

We asked if we could use a 20kg allowance on our validation trip and the full 40kg allowance on our migrant trip in which we had a stopover. Didn't have any issues and will thoroughly recommend SIA.

hedgehog Apr 25th 2006 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by rossifumi
We asked if we could use a 20kg allowance on our validation trip and the full 40kg allowance on our migrant trip in which we had a stopover. Didn't have any issues and will thoroughly recommend SIA.

Hi did you have anything in writing, as due to our house sale or should I say lack of it !!! we may have to validate first, would be grateful of the reply, still can't decide whether to go via Singapore or the USA, If Lacey is out there can you tell me who you booked with, I think I remember reading you are going via Florida. Cheers.
By the way good luck getting your money back to the OP do not give up.