Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A better way of life?

A better way of life?

Old Nov 28th 2006, 6:50 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A better way of life?

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Interesting post this one, I as going to start a thread more specifically based around teenagers. Our little girl is 3 and we came here under the notion she may well have a more active and outdoor life etc..........which she does.

However, since I've been working with so many young (17-23) yr olds over the last 8 months, they all talk about "dying" to get away from Perth, how it's such a dead place to be and there's nothing here for them and they're ready to travel etc. My staff are a healthy mix of academics and apprentices and they all seem to have the same opinion, they're interestingly incredibly ignorant of anything else that happens in the world and where everything else is!! The most shocking fact is that so many of them know a friend who topped themselves, a friend in the WA police force once confirmed to me that WA has an unusually high suicide rate due to depression etc.

Now.........I certainly don't mind my daughter travelling the world when she's old enough to do so but what I don't want, is for her to grow up with no understanding and view of life outside Australia at all. Also for her not to be "desperate" to leave the family home as she's bored stupid.

Ok, the question is.........................does anyone have first hand experience of bringing a child from childhood to young adulthood in Perth and how was it? And also does anyone else feel the same or do I worry too much?!

Also, there is a the underlying fact that my views of Oz are becoming increasingly polarised so that may well have a lot to do with it!

Thanks

Dave
Hi Dave,

I grew up in Perth and I was one of those spoilt Perth girls who deep down know they have got it good but are very aware that there is this big wide world out there just waiting to be explored... and as soon as I was 21 I set off and travelled through Europe and the US. I was happy to return home but
because I didnt know what I wanted to do career wise and I had been planning this trip for 5 years I felt at a loose end and depression set in. So, off I went to Canada for 12 months, returned home, and now I am in London doing the UK thing. Will I get bored of Perth in the future and want to travel somewhere else? Absolutely, but I thank my lucky stars every day I am here that I will going home it Perth. I love the place, and I feel at the age of 30 I can truly appreciate it. I realise it is not for everybody, but most of my friends who have travelled, including those born in the Uk, have all come home to Perth and are settled and happy. One friend wants to live in New York, as it is a lifelong dream. Another is in Qld, but plans to return.

Basically, growing up in Perth, a lot of people feel the isolation and it is now part of the culture to travel (and for long periods of time too.) A few will venture off but most will stay, and those they do stay away realise how lucky they were to grow up in such a environment!

As for Aussie kids not having an interest in international affairs, I am a teacher and teach that sort of thing and unfortunately most people do not develop an interest in that stuff until they are adults. I teach in the UK and the kids are just as ingorant or even more so because the schools where I teach the kids are quite badly behaved!

Also, I am finding West Aussie kids are generally a more happy and spirited lot compared to the kids I teach in the S-W of the UK. There is a lot more bullying and aggro, gangs etc here. Many students have a hard edge about them. The girls wear a lot of make up and act dumb - few have any real ambition. The kids in Aus seem quite innocent in comparison.

Last edited by denver; Nov 28th 2006 at 7:00 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 6:57 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Some examples would help. In what way are they "incredibly ignorant of anything that happens in the world and where everything is"? What does that mean, exactly? Are they just plain stupid, or do they pay no attention to the media? I mean, you really would have to be pretty damn thick not to know that if you switch on the TV at a certain time of night, you will see half an hour of news (both local and international).

You list two groups: academics and apprentices. Well, at the risk of painting a stereoytype (but perhaps you already have and I'm just filling in the colours) I have to say "there's your answer".

Academics are notorious for knowing very little about the outside world (even within their own country) because they live in a rareified atmosphere (such as a university or college) and rarely venture beyond the ivory tower.

For their part, apprentices aren't exactly renowned for their intimate knowledge of other cultures, nor are they in a position to travel (as uni students are) and broaden their minds. Once they're qualified, it's all different; but until then, they're more or less land-locked.

BTW, 17-23 year olds are almost always "desperate to get out of here", regardless of where they live. It's characteristic of the age group; burgeoning independence + private income = wanderlust and a touch of "grass is always greener".

I'd be interested to see the statistics. The majority of suicides amongst West Australians tend to be in rural distrincts, amongst white rural populations and Aboriginal communities. As is so often the case, males outnumber females.

If we assume that depression is the most common cause, we must then ask "What causes the depression?"

I hardly think it is bordedom - do you?

That's surely up to yourself and her, isn't it? I mean, Perth doesn't have some sort of magical effect that prevents people from knowing anything about the outside world.

If people want to learn more, they'll get off their backsides and learn more. If they don't, they won't.

Either way, it's down to the individual.

If she's bored stupid, how will leaving the family home change anything? (Unless she's merely bored with the family home). See my comments about 17-23 year olds. They do grow out of it.

I don't, but I was born and raised in Perth - and loved it.

I think you worry too much.

You don't say.
Vash, I think we're on the same freaky wavelength!!!!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: A better way of life?

Originally Posted by denver
It's a definitely possibility...
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: A better way of life?

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
"I don't, but I was born and raised in Perth - and loved it."- that would've done nicely...............but thankyou for your critique Vash
My pleasure. After all, you did want someone who could speak from personal experience.

Right?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

This is really not very reassuring for people worried about bringing up their kids in Perth
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I am finding West Aussie kids are generally a more happy and spirited lot compared to the kids I teach in the S-W of the UK. There is a lot more bullying and aggro, gangs etc here. Many students have a hard edge about them. The girls wear a lot of make up and act dumb - few have any real ambition. The kids in Aus seem quite innocent in comparison.
I thought you said you were teaching in a rough part of London. Did you move to the countryside and find it just the same?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:27 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
My pleasure. After all, you did want someone who could speak from personal experience.

Right?
Absolutely, and you answered my one question superbly
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:32 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave,

I grew up in Perth and I was one of those spoilt Perth girls who deep down know they have got it good but are very aware that there is this big wide world out there just waiting to be explored... and as soon as I was 21 I set off and travelled through Europe and the US. I was happy to return home but
because I didnt know what I wanted to do career wise and I had been planning this trip for 5 years I felt at a loose end and depression set in. So, off I went to Canada for 12 months, returned home, and now I am in London doing the UK thing. Will I get bored of Perth in the future and want to travel somewhere else? Absolutely, but I thank my lucky stars every day I am here that I will going home it Perth. I love the place, and I feel at the age of 30 I can truly appreciate it. I realise it is not for everybody, but most of my friends who have travelled, including those born in the Uk, have all come home to Perth and are settled and happy. One friend wants to live in New York, as it is a lifelong dream. Another is in Qld, but plans to return.

Basically, growing up in Perth, a lot of people feel the isolation and it is now part of the culture to travel (and for long periods of time too.) A few will venture off but most will stay, and those they do stay away realise how lucky they were to grow up in such a environment!

As for Aussie kids not having an interest in international affairs, I am a teacher and teach that sort of thing and unfortunately most people do not develop an interest in that stuff until they are adults. I teach in the UK and the kids are just as ingorant or even more so because the schools where I teach the kids are quite badly behaved!

Thanks, a more "constructive" reply, I understand I used a few stereotypes and basic unstructured points in that post but I didn't want to write a 7 page diatribe!!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 9:51 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
Margaret put up a thread about cold feet recently and I was surprised at the number of people out there who all felt the same way, and it got me thinking . . . . . . .does the move down under really afford you a better way of life.

We are not emigrating because we don't like the UK, more because we want to give ourselves and our children a better way of life - all round. My children currently attend good schools and we live in a beautiful part of Scotland in a nice house with lots of friends and family around us.

But Bing has to work away a lot, I am effectively a single parent of two young, and very energetic children and as most of our leisure time centres around outdoor activities, for 6 months of the year we are all 'bored'.

So does Australia offer a better way of life? If not, whats the point of going?

Nic
We love Australia and after a year here I wouldn't even go back to the UK for a holiday! It's what you make of it and it certainly is a better way of life for us. I take beach walks at sunrise, I watch the humpback whales on their migration whilst walking the dogs, I swim in the ocean and watch the dolphins playing, my son has never been happier and I feel very privileged to be here
Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We have no expectations of what our life will be like. Obviously we know it is going to be very different to our lives at the moment in the UK. Maybe it will be better and maybe not but it will definately be different.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:53 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Im also another not better not worse but different.

When we lived in UK, we had a good life but was pissed off mainly with the weather, house prices and crowded places......We used to have a great out door life and walk the dogs everywhere with us along beaches etc....

In Melbourne we earned more, worked less and housing was affordable. There was lots to do. The Weather was also quite exciting. Never got homesick at all. But was a pain with the dogs as were not allowed anywhere.

Here in Perth we earn less, work more, can't take the dogs to many places with us (which is a real pain, as we thought that would be a great reason to move here) and we now have a huge mortgage, and cant even think about starting a family as we planned as we are relying on 2 incomes, and there is no maternaty pay here!

Oh and you have to pay for your medical bills, which has cost me lots as I have been sick here........

On the plus side, we have gorgeous beaches and great weather and even though our house is small here, its bigger than a 3 bedder in UK. Actually our life is probably worse here when I think about it, we were much better of in the UK..... But we like it here as the few good things, outway the heaps of bad stuff..........God I have got myself wondering why I am here now..oooppps!

But yea, until I wrote this and thought about it, I felt happy here and still am, but yea we were better off in UK......but just sick of grey weather for most of the year....

Wont go back to live in Uk now, but will certainly be there for a christmas as soon as we can afford it!

Laura

Last edited by lauralollipop; Nov 29th 2006 at 10:56 am.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:19 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Margaret put up a thread about cold feet recently and I was surprised at the number of people out there who all felt the same way, and it got me thinking . . . . . . .does the move down under really afford you a better way of life.

We are not emigrating because we don't like the UK, more because we want to give ourselves and our children a better way of life - all round. My children currently attend good schools and we live in a beautiful part of Scotland in a nice house with lots of friends and family around us.

But Bing has to work away a lot, I am effectively a single parent of two young, and very energetic children and as most of our leisure time centres around outdoor activities, for 6 months of the year we are all 'bored'.

Nic
There is no simple and straight forward answer to this one....

It's far too subjective to be able to pigeon-hole the response....

Conversely, I asked the same questions more and more the closer we got to our departure date. Don't confuse your fear of the unknown with projected issues and concerns.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Bianca UK-OZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza

If you are happy people, taking your favourite people with you, you love the outdoors, and you can live with limited TV & shopping then no need to worry!
Want to get away from the city and rush!! So hope it will work for us. Hate shopping! More sun, more outdoors, more people smiling!!!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

Nic

I think it may depend on where you end up living, and what sort of job your husband gets.

Part of the reason we moved was for the better weather (and to be outdoors more). However, as other posters have pointed out, the high temperatures can mean that we end up staying in during the day.

For our dog, it has meant less freedom and off-lead walking. Although this would not be such a problem if we lived closer to the coast.

Workwise, my husband is working longer hours but also has a more senior position so quid pro quo.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:05 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Nic
Our lives were what some would consider very good in the UK. Hubby had 23 years service in a very well paid job, kids at private school/nursery, private health care, big house with views, good friends and a couple of holidays a year. However, we were both working full time with overtime and working at home and had very little time to do things as a family and enjoy the company of our friends.

We are happier and healthier, we do so much as a family (outside) and our social lives are non stop. After having 6 months off hubby now has a job with the same multinational he worked for in Blighty, the kids love the local school (which is a couple of minutes walk down the hill as opposed to a 30 minute drive), I am not working and after 5 years of uni and fulltime work I am loving being with my boys. They both participate in a number of extra curricular sports and art activities and are thriving. I can honestly say that in 6 months there have only been 4 or 5 days that I would say were too hot to go out but even on those days it was lovely in the pool.

ACE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.