Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A better way of life?

A better way of life?

Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:07 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute
Default A better way of life?

Margaret put up a thread about cold feet recently and I was surprised at the number of people out there who all felt the same way, and it got me thinking . . . . . . .does the move down under really afford you a better way of life.

We are not emigrating because we don't like the UK, more because we want to give ourselves and our children a better way of life - all round. My children currently attend good schools and we live in a beautiful part of Scotland in a nice house with lots of friends and family around us.

But Bing has to work away a lot, I am effectively a single parent of two young, and very energetic children and as most of our leisure time centres around outdoor activities, for 6 months of the year we are all 'bored'.

So does Australia offer a better way of life? If not, whats the point of going?

Nic
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A better way of life?

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
Margaret put up a thread about cold feet recently and I was surprised at the number of people out there who all felt the same way, and it got me thinking . . . . . . .does the move down under really afford you a better way of life.

We are not emigrating because we don't like the UK, more because we want to give ourselves and our children a better way of life - all round. My children currently attend good schools and we live in a beautiful part of Scotland in a nice house with lots of friends and family around us.

But Bing has to work away a lot, I am effectively a single parent of two young, and very energetic children and as most of our leisure time centres around outdoor activities, for 6 months of the year we are all 'bored'.

Nic

If you love the outdoors life then surely Australia has got to be a good move.
I think the people who suffer the most are the consumer-holics who like to have five shopping centres within half an hours drive, who spend hours every night in front of the BBC, and who have a wide social network of friends & family that they regularly see. There are also the people who are miserable here and think that a new country will solve all their problems - then it doesn't.

If you are happy people, taking your favourite people with you, you love the outdoors, and you can live with limited TV & shopping then no need to worry!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:44 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
I think the people who suffer the most are the consumer-holics who like to have five shopping centres within half an hours drive, who spend hours every night in front of the BBC, and who have a wide social network of friends & family that they regularly see. There are also the people who are miserable here and think that a new country will solve all their problems - then it doesn't.

If you are happy people, taking your favourite people with you, you love the outdoors, and you can live with limited TV & shopping then no need to worry!
I hate shopping, I hate being inside, I have no friends and family on the doorstep and TV is soul destroying guff.....sign me up, I'm perfect!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:06 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Nic
I tend to think that the best reasons for going are because you can and because it's different...

I've always been uncomfortable with this 'I want a better life' stuff because I feel that's building a great deal of expectation in there that may not necessarily be fulfilled... And no fault of Australia's either, but it does seem to lead some people to be a bit unhappy when everything calms down and reality bites...

Having said all that, it does seem that with your requirements a move could be a good idea. You can have a 12 month outdoor life and if your OH can get a job closer to where you live then it seems job's sorted...!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza

If you added take frequent trips to Europe, and love their football and pubs I would be in total agreement
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:23 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Nic

It won't necessarily offer a better way of life, but it will be a different way of life. Until you get here, you really won't know whether it have been the right move for you, that's the risk you take.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:45 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Don't fall into the trap of overrating the outdoor Aussie lifestyle. Summer here can make being outside really miserable. When it's 35+ (as it is today, and summer hasn't even startedf yet), you're constantly looking for shade and you're covered in tar-like, sticky, chemical, sunscreen. Remaining indoors sometimes seems the easier (certainly cleaner-feeling!) option. So, you could think of it as changing one type of crappy weather for another. Chel's point is excellent - different, not necessarily better.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:12 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Nic
The most important factor that will determine if you have a better quality of life is what part of OZ you move to, theres plenty of crap palces in OZ to live and plenty of fantastic places because OZ is such a large varied country, one part can be very different from another in terrms of countryside , climate etc. You should travel around and see as much of OZ as possible.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:14 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Don't fall into the trap of overrating the outdoor Aussie lifestyle. Summer here can make being outside really miserable. When it's 35+ (as it is today, and summer hasn't even startedf yet), you're constantly looking for shade and you're covered in tar-like, sticky, chemical, sunscreen. Remaining indoors sometimes seems the easier (certainly cleaner-feeling!) option. So, you could think of it as changing one type of crappy weather for another. Chel's point is excellent - different, not necessarily better.
Completely agree!!

Taking young kids (especially) out in the summer heat can be a nightmare, not only for having to constantly apply sunscreen, but also the draining effect of the heat - regularly mid 30's and sometimes up to 45 degrees.

We do love it here, but it is a bit of a myth that you will live the outdoors lifestyle 12 months of the year. That, and it goes dark so early (compared to UK summers) that evening outdoor activities can be limited.

On the sunscreen thing tho - we use Sunsense, as it is not at all greasy and seems to moisturise the skin at the same time

Steve
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not been any better for us, but not worse, either. We've become debt free but at the same time don't own our own home yet. Once they start building our house we'll have the same mortgage we had before we left, only without any car loans or credit card debt to pay off. That's the good part. Hub lost his job 3 weeks after signing on to build our house. That's the bad part. So, no better, no worse, just different.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:38 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Nic
Have you been to OZ before? if not perhaps try a long holiday or reccie trip to help decide.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:42 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
Completely agree!!

Taking young kids (especially) out in the summer heat can be a nightmare, not only for having to constantly apply sunscreen, but also the draining effect of the heat - regularly mid 30's and sometimes up to 45 degrees.

We do love it here, but it is a bit of a myth that you will live the outdoors lifestyle 12 months of the year. That, and it goes dark so early (compared to UK summers) that evening outdoor activities can be limited.

On the sunscreen thing tho - we use Sunsense, as it is not at all greasy and seems to moisturise the skin at the same time

Steve

The evenings mean mossies too. On the plus side, my mossie bites have all joined together, in one enormous bite, so Mr GG no longer plays join the dots on me.

Thanks for the sunscreen tip - I'll keep an eye out for it. The stuff from the Cancer Council feels like lard.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:59 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I am with the different not better vote.

The changes for the better that you make to your life you could do in any country in the world by making a list of what to change and sticking to it

But it does seem a lot of us think changing countries will be a lot easier. I came for a challenge and cause Hubby thought it would be great not to live and die in one country! I think we could of got the same impact in our lives by moving to Somerset, Cornwall, Northern Ireland or Scotland (which was on my list ).

He likes hot countries - but now with his skin cancer the sun is not much of an option for us!

I do believe we are wiser people because of our move and have experienced much more than our daily rut in the UK that we created for ourselves.

Cheers Sandra
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:02 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
The evenings mean mossies too. On the plus side, my mossie bites have all joined together, in one enormous bite, so Mr GG no longer plays join the dots on me.

Thanks for the sunscreen tip - I'll keep an eye out for it. The stuff from the Cancer Council feels like lard.
Mozzie bites - try taking a vitamin B complex. I've been taking it regularly for a while now, and touch wood (a whole forest) I haven't been bitten yet although father in law and other half have both been nibbled recently. And not me!!!!! It was always me they attacked I also use insect repellent religously, I used to put it on before going to bed too, as they got me then...

The point about the weather is a good one. During summer I tend not to venture out into the sun between 11am and 2pm, I find the heat debillitating. But I've seen kids out playing cricket etc so maybe growing up here you become acclimatised? It also doesn't seem to bother the sun worshippers on the beach. When you're away from the sea, there's seems to be less of a breeze (of the type you get in the UK) to cool things down, which I miss.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:05 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by chels
Mozzie bites - try taking a vitamin B complex. I've been taking it regularly for a while now, and touch wood (a whole forest) I haven't been bitten yet although father in law and other half have both been nibbled recently. And not me!!!!! It was always me they attacked I also use insect repellent religously, I used to put it on before going to bed too, as they got me then...

The point about the weather is a good one. During summer I tend not to venture out into the sun between 11am and 2pm, I find the heat debillitating. But I've seen kids out playing cricket etc so maybe growing up here you become acclimatised? It also doesn't seem to bother the sun worshippers on the beach. When you're away from the sea, there's seems to be less of a breeze (of the type you get in the UK) to cool things down, which I miss.

I take vitamin B twice a day, eat bananas <gasp!> and eat vegemite. Oh, and use insect repellent. All to no avail. I have good blood.

Any news on Thursday's plan? Is there a drink organised?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.