Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best way to take money back to the UK

Best way to take money back to the UK

Old May 19th 2014, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Perth1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to take money back to the UK

Whats the best way to take money back to the UK?
Old May 19th 2014, 11:02 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to take money back to the UK

Originally Posted by Perth1964
Use a forex company to transfer it to your UK bank account. Oz forex is often recommended but I've only used the UK side of the company (UK forex)
Old May 19th 2014, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Typically people transfer it using thise things called banks. The clever people use currency exchange companies. The not so cleaver stash it in their pants. Either way, anything over $10,000 might attract attention
Old May 19th 2014, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Perth1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's good banks never would of thought of that.I was thinking more of the forex companies .
Old May 19th 2014, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

That's good banks never would of thought of that.I was thinking more of the forex companies .
Oh. You could try phoning around a couple of private forex companies. They often will try and beat the rate you get on the well know forex crowds.
Old May 19th 2014, 11:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

In a.suitcase

Kind of cool too
Old May 20th 2014, 2:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Perth1964, nice to 'see' you again

If you're talking about more than $10,000, absolutely don't use a bank. Their foreign exchange rates are abysmal. I can vouch for Oz Forex. We've bought an off-plan flat in the UK and are paying for it in four stages as the development progresses. Oz Forex don't charge fees for amounts over $10,000 and their exchange rate is pretty close to the official one, whereas the bank's rate was considerably poorer.

It may seem like a bit of fiddling around to set up your OzForex account, but it's fairly stress-free. From memory, you go onto their website and complete an application to set up an account with them. It doesn't cost anything, and you need to enter some form of ID - I think we used our passport numbers. Then they give you a call to confirm your account has been set up, apparantly they sometimes ask for more ID but they didn't in our case.

You're then sent an email that has all the info on how to transfer money - which is a really simple process. They accept Bpay so it's handy if you have that set up with your bank, as it's then just a matter of going online and transferring the money from your bank account to OzForex's account. There is no charge for Bpay transfers.

I think that's it but feel free to ask any questions, I'll help if I can. Best of luck
Old May 20th 2014, 9:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Perth1964, nice to 'see' you again

If you're talking about more than $10,000, absolutely don't use a bank. Their foreign exchange rates are abysmal. I can vouch for Oz Forex. We've bought an off-plan flat in the UK and are paying for it in four stages as the development progresses. Oz Forex don't charge fees for amounts over $10,000 and their exchange rate is pretty close to the official one, whereas the bank's rate was considerably poorer.

It may seem like a bit of fiddling around to set up your OzForex account, but it's fairly stress-free. From memory, you go onto their website and complete an application to set up an account with them. It doesn't cost anything, and you need to enter some form of ID - I think we used our passport numbers. Then they give you a call to confirm your account has been set up, apparantly they sometimes ask for more ID but they didn't in our case.

You're then sent an email that has all the info on how to transfer money - which is a really simple process. They accept Bpay so it's handy if you have that set up with your bank, as it's then just a matter of going online and transferring the money from your bank account to OzForex's account. There is no charge for Bpay transfers.

I think that's it but feel free to ask any questions, I'll help if I can. Best of luck
....and if its less than $10,000 have alook at www.tranzfers.com - same company as ozforex but they deal with smaller smounts
Old May 20th 2014, 10:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
....and if its less than $10,000 have alook at www.tranzfers.com - same company as ozforex but they deal with smaller smounts