Reload this Page >

Archery equipment as parcel or on plane

Archery equipment as parcel or on plane

Old May 20th 2014, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Essie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Archery equipment as parcel or on plane

Hello everyone,

I would very much like to either take my archery equipment on the plane (possibly as extra bagage or something?) or have my parents send it to me from the Netherlands. However, I would like to know where I can find out if this falls under any weapon sort of law and if you need anything special to do that or if it 'simply' falls under the sports articles. Can anyone please help me? A link to a website explaining would be nice, especially if you know where to find it on the Aus goverment website.

Thank you!
Old May 20th 2014, 1:18 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Archery equipment as parcel or on plane

Originally Posted by Essie
Hello everyone,

I would very much like to either take my archery equipment on the plane (possibly as extra bagage or something?) or have my parents send it to me from the Netherlands. However, I would like to know where I can find out if this falls under any weapon sort of law and if you need anything special to do that or if it 'simply' falls under the sports articles. Can anyone please help me? A link to a website explaining would be nice, especially if you know where to find it on the Aus goverment website.

Thank you!
Not sure about taking it on a plane or sending it by post, but we shipped some martial arts equipment and had to get a certificate of exemption to be able to own some of it in Australia so it would clear customs. This is the customs section on weapons - may help (has a link to Australia Post as well)

EDIT - sorry, bit of reading on what is classified gives crossbows as restricted, but other bows and arrows as okay. You may want to check with the airline as well though

Last edited by old.sparkles; May 20th 2014 at 1:22 pm.
Old May 20th 2014, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not sure about taking it on a plane or sending it by post, but we shipped some martial arts equipment and had to get a certificate of exemption to be able to own some of it in Australia so it would clear customs. This is the customs section on weapons - may help (has a link to Australia Post as well)

EDIT - sorry, bit of reading on what is classified gives crossbows as restricted, but other bows and arrows as okay. You may want to check with the airline as well though
Yeah it looks like you just need to declare it really? It falls under sports equipment that is not controlled/prohibited. So now I just need to know how to find out how much an extra suitcase on the plane would be, as opposed to sending it as a parcel. Thanks
Old May 20th 2014, 1:39 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it looks like you just need to declare it really? It falls under sports equipment that is not controlled/prohibited. So now I just need to know how to find out how much an extra suitcase on the plane would be, as opposed to sending it as a parcel. Thanks
Who are you flying with - some carriers don't mind how many pieces you have if you don't go over the weight allowance.
Old May 20th 2014, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Cathay Pacific
Old May 20th 2014, 1:45 pm

Cathay Pacific
That would be a weight allowance, so doesn't matter how many pieces - https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_....html?switch=Y

But over the allowance seems to be $30 per kilo - https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_....html?switch=Y
Old May 20th 2014, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

So am I right in looking under Extra bagage charge and then the first one that goes by weight? From UK to AUstralia that seems 60 dollars but is that per kg or for any item under 32kg/203cm?
Old May 20th 2014, 1:54 pm

So am I right in looking under Extra bagage charge and then the first one that goes by weight? From UK to AUstralia that seems 60 dollars but is that per kg or for any item under 32kg/203cm?
oops - looked at wrong starting Zone

$60 a kilo seems a bit hefty - hope they're not heavy!
Old May 20th 2014, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

haha yes it will be heavy, so clearly sending it as a parcel is cheaper as from the netherlands that would be like 150 euros, this would work out to be like 1000 dollars or something (although im not quite sure how much it weighs)

thanks for your help!
Old May 20th 2014, 1:58 pm

haha yes it will be heavy, so clearly sending it as a parcel is cheaper as from the netherlands that would be like 150 euros, this would work out to be like 1000 dollars or something (although im not quite sure how much it weighs)

thanks for your help!
No worries