Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best time of Year to up sticks and settle on OZ.

Best time of Year to up sticks and settle on OZ.

Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:37 am
Bionic by birth !

bionic-bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best time of Year to up sticks and settle on OZ.

Hi All,
We are almost at the point of getting our Visa .Hopefully within the next two months or so, House almost going on the market . ect ect.
I appreciate ever bodies lives are different but what would be the best time of year to fly out to OZ and settle . We have three kids who would all need schooling and a month or so off before hand to settle into there new surrounding. Almost 90% convinced we will end up in the Gold Cost or lower end of Brisbane.
I was guessing about October time so the kids could have a few days at there new school before the summer break...
As for time of year, we are easy but I guess most people, once they have got there Visa's would want to go straight away..
Any Thoughts...
Dave
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:41 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best time of Year to up sticks and settle on OZ.

We moved in July, which meant we landed in winter and got chance to acclimatise gradually, rather than land mid summer and go from <10C in UK to >35C in QLD. I think that worked for us because we coped with the summer pretty well.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:58 am
formerly Poppy

Poppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to all

We landed mid November, which we thought would be good as we have three kids, only thing is, the kids will have been off school for 12 weeks by the time the Summer Holidays are over :scared: I think it has been too long for them and us. So maybe October would be good as then they can go to school for a while before the holidays. We took a little time, maybe three weeks to find where we were going to live and then finding a school, so they got a place for end of January, but she did let them go in for a couple of days to meet the kids, but you will be there in time for them to start for a few weeks before they break up which would be good and you really need the time driving around sorting stuff out without the kids moaning! so the sooner they get settled in school the better I'd say from our experience.

I don't know what job lines you're in, but if it is the building trade, we were told they wind down week before Christmas and don't go back properly until beginning of February, so that is something to think about if it applies to you although we are in Syndey area, so it might be different up North.

With hindsight, we would probably have come in January for the job reason, so not that long with no income and the kids wouldn't have been off school so long. We took them out of their UK school a week before we left too, but that's because we moved the flights five days cos we weren't ready! Or earlier, like August/September, but we weren't ready then either!.

Sorry to babble on, but hope it makes sense to you and wish you lots of luck with the move!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
We moved in July, which meant we landed in winter and got chance to acclimatise gradually, rather than land mid summer and go from <10C in UK to >35C in QLD. I think that worked for us because we coped with the summer pretty well.
Yep same here..we landed in MAY, quite cool and freezing at night. Climatised well for the summer. I now think 20-28c is cold
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

If you are moving near any big Defence locations, don't arrive in Dec, Jan or Feb, you'll find that the removal guys are flat out shifting Defence families unless you book early.
Areas such as Townsville, Adelaide (next couple of years) and Darwin are especially busy. Brisbane, Perth and Sydney probably not too bad as they are big enough to cope.
Something to keep at the back of your mind...

we arrived in Darwin in September, it was hot then again whenever we would have arrived it would have been hot
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:34 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njk435
If you are moving near any big Defence locations, don't arrive in Dec, Jan or Feb, you'll find that the removal guys are flat out shifting Defence families unless you book early.
Areas such as Townsville, Adelaide (next couple of years) and Darwin are especially busy. Brisbane, Perth and Sydney probably not too bad as they are big enough to cope.
Something to keep at the back of your mind...

we arrived in Darwin in September, it was hot then again whenever we would have arrived it would have been hot
When we moved here (Darwin) in December, we had booked a truck early but when we went to try and change the booking they laughed at us. All of their trucks were fully booked for weeks before Christmas and we had been lucky to get ours.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:35 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Yep same here..we landed in MAY, quite cool and freezing at night. Climatised well for the summer. I now think 20-28c is cold
Same here. Mrs M keeps fiddling with our aircon setting it down to 24C and I switch the thing off when it gets to 27C/
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

October sounds good. As well as the school thing you also get summer here then get to Oz just as it's getting warm. We'll be heading to Perth in October, assuming they say yes!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Bubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura about

Hi

the best time is a soon as you can so you can start enjoying it! See the thread on things you wish you had done!

Tracy
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:37 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bubbles
Hi

the best time is a soon as you can so you can start enjoying it! See the thread on things you wish you had done!

Tracy
We moved at the end of April and landed in Brisbane, as we came down to land it was like pea soup so I put on my long woolly jumper and wrapped the kids up thinking it was going to be freezing but was shocked when it was nice and warm. The temperature was just right for us and I think we got used to things very quickly. By the height of summer we were in the North so it was far hotter than Brizzy but still we coped very well although the air con got a blasting...this is our 2nd summer now and we now rent a place without air con and coping very well.

The kids didn't start school until late that year though as we travelled aorund and had a massive touring holiday.

I would say come over here just after the height of summer as the weather is still very comfortable (shorts and tea shirt type weather coming from the UK)

Sasha
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:03 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I second this.

Arriving in Brisbane in July '06 certainly made it easier rushing from pillar to post when doing all the boring "setting up" stuff.