Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

best time to arrive in Perth?

best time to arrive in Perth?

Old Nov 14th 2004, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

sallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura about
Default best time to arrive in Perth?

Hi all

We haven't had our visas granted yet (or passed the medicals even!) but if all goes well we can move over to Perth any time after my son's GCSEs which are in June. Do you think it is best to arrive in winter so that we don't have to also worry about getting used to the heat, or would it be best to arrive in summer so that we don't feel homesick AND have to put up with being cold and getting wet!!! What do you reckon?

Thanks

Sally
Old Nov 14th 2004, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Re: best time to arrive in Perth?

Originally Posted by sallybee
Hi all

We haven't had our visas granted yet (or passed the medicals even!) but if all goes well we can move over to Perth any time after my son's GCSEs which are in June. Do you think it is best to arrive in winter so that we don't have to also worry about getting used to the heat, or would it be best to arrive in summer so that we don't feel homesick AND have to put up with being cold and getting wet!!! What do you reckon?

Thanks

Sally

Hi Sally

We arrive mid-summer and this in all honesty is probably an error as i think the heat will be quite a shock.

However going in June will mean you have just spent the last 7 months fairly cold in the UK only to go through an Aussie winter and not be able to enjoy some of the thing which invariably you are going out their to enjoy.

Personally I think the ideal time to go to Perth would be in Sept / October - you would have a UK spring and summer and then go straight into a Perth spring and summer which would ease you gently into the heat.

All that said, I think the answer many people would give is 'as soon as possible is the best time to arrive in Perth'

Dave
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Theresa, Ian & Tim is on a distinguished road

If we get our visa we are hoping to go out about May/June time. We have two dogs and we thought it would be best to let them get use to the heat gradually rather than arrive in the full heat of summer.

Regards
Theresa
Old Nov 15th 2004, 12:59 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Theresa, Ian & Tim
If we get our visa we are hoping to go out about May/June time. We have two dogs and we thought it would be best to let them get use to the heat gradually rather than arrive in the full heat of summer.

Regards
Theresa
We came out in August, which was nice during the day but absolutely freezing during the night, so coming out is not so bad in the winter just make sure you have a really nice warm quilt and plenty of wooley socks for evenings in.
We figured we would have quite a while getting used to the increasing temperatures, its 32deg today and nice, hot in the sun though, but as most Aussies don't sit around in it, I'm finding it quite nice sitting indoors with the windows and doors closed to keep the heat out! I am getting used now to closing all the windows and blinds when I wake up from a night with the windows open, you will get used to it no doubt. Am looking forward though to summer getting here just to see how bad it gets. Have air con though when it does get bad.
Jenny
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:24 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with darlkless.
We arrived in October last year and weather wise it was good and while we were busy house hunting etc the heat was bearable.

We have friends who might be arriving march april next year and we have said its a shame cos the weather will be starting to cool down....

having said all that...I dont think it really matters what time of year you get here really........

as long as you know its cold at night in winter and hot hot hot in summer then you'll be ok!

ooooooohhhh and it does rain here too
Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

sallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the replies. I'm so paranoid that I'm not going to pass my medical (no reason for thinking this though!!) that I don't really like to look ahead too far - I'm sure other people have felt like this too though and everything was probably fine.