Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Pubs in Sydney

Best Pubs in Sydney

Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:01 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Pubs in Sydney

Originally Posted by hotfuss
That's going on my list to check out - definitely sounds like it's worth a gander..

It's a great pub - I had my birthday there a couple of years back.

They do really nice food, but not in the evenings, though they are more than happy for you to order pizza from the place over the road.

S
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

The Rag and Famish in North Sydney. A traditional british booza with dark wooden furniture and handled pint glasses!!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

The Hopetoun Bourke street. but I am bias as I was living crawling distance.
The Oaks Military road if you are on the Northern side. ditto the reason above.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:29 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it was boarded up last time I went by. Anyone else seen it recently? It was a big music venue.
Originally Posted by janek
The Hopetoun Bourke street. but I am bias as I was living crawling distance.
The Oaks Military road if you are on the Northern side. ditto the reason above.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 12:28 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

The Courthouse in Newtown is really nice, lovely food, nice courtyard to sit out in and staggering distance from my friends house. Perfect!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go to the Wooolloomooloo Bay Hotel quite a bit. Do a VERY nice Cascade on tap and the food is top notch bar food. Massive portions and always good quality. Haven't been for a few years though and I know it was renovated recently so hopefully still as good.

I like the fact that you could nip over the road for a Harry's Cafe De Wheels pie as well at closing time if you went on an evening.

A Sunday afternoon drink at the Wooolloomooloo Bay Hotel is good as well as you can walk from the Opera House around the Domain to Wooolloomooloo, very nice walk.

Newtown and Balmain are good, usually disapointed with the Rocks though. Over priced and I had the worst bar food ever at the Observatory

The Belgian Beer place is nice but very very pricy.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

In the CBD I love the following pubs:

Fortune of War (in particular the Saturday night musician is great)
Lord Nelson
Hero of Waterloo
The Australian
James Squires

And the great choice of Balmain pubs are a reason why I live in Balmain.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

Yes, having lived here now for 5 months.......best pub pubs are in or around the Rocks. Discuss!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:59 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn
Yes, having lived here now for 5 months.......best pub pubs are in or around the Rocks. Discuss!
Ill say that the most expensive tourist trap pubs are in The Rocks, but not the best ones...
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:02 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The best ones are off George St up the hill.

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Ill say that the most expensive tourist trap pubs are in The Rocks, but not the best ones...
I'm enjoying a nice cider in a sunny english beer garden with real pints, and it's so cheap u can buy twice as many as u get in Sydney:-)
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:13 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by markbhx
I'm enjoying a nice cider in a sunny english beer garden with real pints, and it's so cheap u can buy twice as many as u get in Sydney:-)
Have you been kicked out by a Kiwi bouncer yet?

Ill be there doing much the same in 15 days!

Bring it on!

S
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Have you been kicked out by a Kiwi bouncer yet?

Ill be there doing much the same in 15 days!

Bring it on!

S
Ha no kiwi bouncers thank god. You are welcomed over the threshold wether walking staggering or crawling. As long as you have money in your pocket and can point out your order it's all good!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:43 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by markbhx
Ha no kiwi bouncers thank god. You are welcomed over the threshold wether walking staggering or crawling. As long as you have money in your pocket and can point out your order it's all good!
Looking forward to it. Also looking forward to doing some driving at a sensible speed instead of walking pace like around here...

S
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Hero of Waterloo is great when they have the music on. Though it was wild on Sunday night. Rocks is well overpriced but it preferable to some of the other bars in the CBD. Need to spread out a little bit mind as have not sampled anywhere outside the CBD yet since I've been back.

Remember the Old Fitzroy from last time I was here and that was a cracking place. Will have to have a look in again soon.

And the friggin bouncers around here man

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.