Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best month to arrive in Australia?

Best month to arrive in Australia?

Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:25 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best month to arrive in Australia?

[QUOTE=Merlot:

Make mine a double - double. We must be buts.

M [/QUOTE]

speak for your self

i must say considering we know the full horror of packing up and shipping out, i am amazed that we are still sane, with 3 kids you'd think we would have learnt by now. but then life would be boring and we have to find something to do for next year :scared:
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:31 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by louise4
speak for your self

i must say considering we know the full horror of packing up and shipping out, i am amazed that we are still sane, with 3 kids you'd think we would have learnt by now. but then life would be boring and we have to find something to do for next year :scared:
Just realised I said "buts" not "nuts" in my previous post :scared:

Yes we must be mad!!!!! We are even thinking of shipping more than the last time (13 boxes of personal possessions). We have most of our household goods in storage in Oz apart from a fridge/freezer, dining room table/chairs, sofa (we sold our lovely new 3 piece before we left). We have a really good bed here we would like to take plus the usual array of odds and sods. Depends on costs.

Oh, plus cat - again!

M

Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:20 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

............. when the kids are off hand.......
teenagers are always 'off hand'
Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

I have the impression that the month not to arrive if you want to get things done is January, as many Ozzies take holidays in from Xmas on through January, so it's a bit like August in the UK.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:19 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

LOL you have been busy this evening haven't you.

Cheapest flights for us is definaitly june time. asked all the airlines this and june was the month for the cheapest flights.
How cheap are they in june?
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
How cheap are they in june?
#

The cheapest, up till mid June when they get v. expensive.

I did some research on return trips LHR - ADL on Singapore Airlines. You have to specify a return date when you book. Here are some examples, inc taxes:

13/6/05 £565
20/6/05 £713
18/7/05 £970
30/8/05 £720
26/9/05 £800
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:33 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
#

I did some research on return trips LHR - ADL on Singapore Airlines. You have to specify a return date when you book. Here are some examples, inc taxes:

13/6/05 £565
20/6/05 £713
18/7/05 £970
30/8/05 £720
26/9/05 £800
Thanks for that
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:29 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
#

13/6/05 £565
20/6/05 £713
18/7/05 £970
30/8/05 £720
26/9/05 £800
Blooming lovely piece of info Sack of Spuds, thank you for that and to all others for your input.

M

Old Jun 10th 2005, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Storini
I have the impression that the month not to arrive if you want to get things done is January, as many Ozzies take holidays in from Xmas on through January, so it's a bit like August in the UK.
Yes that is very true. Another way to look at it though, is that it might be good to have a bit of a holiday yourself while you settle in, find your way around etc, after the frantic time you've just left behind, before applying yourself to the arduous and frustrating task of jobhunting. If you have kids, the new school year starts in Feb, that might be a point (dunno, don't have any). And if you're coming to Sydney, it's the Sydney Festival in January lots of free events for singles/couples/families. One last Christmas in UK and head for the sun? I think January is best. I came in a November and didn't get a "proper job" till early March.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:24 am
Merlot

Is June cheaper because it being winter in Oz?

Our ideal if next year comes off is October but then there is the worry of work.

Stress

Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by Merlot
So far we are undecided what month is best for starting to look for work.

So far March is a good one but anyone any other offers?

I know the weather is a factor as is the cost of flying back. When did you get your cheapest quote for flying to Oz from UK?

Love to hear your thoughts.

The confused M
Are you after one-way or return quotes?
Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:04 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by pako
Are you after one-way or return quotes?
One way - anyone had any great offers and any good websites?

M

Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by Merlot
One way - anyone had any great offers and any good websites?

M
We paid £350 (each one-way) with Cathay, flying 28th Nov via Hong Kong, landing on the 2nd Dec. We used Travelbag.co.uk, part of the ebookers group.

My friend flew back to Melbourne last month and paid £380 one way with Quantas.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:24 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by pako
We paid £350 (each one-way) with Cathay, flying 28th Nov via Hong Kong, landing on the 2nd Dec. We used Travelbag.co.uk, part of the ebookers group.

My friend flew back to Melbourne last month and paid £380 one way with Quantas.
Thanks Pako, we are in the early stages of planning and scheming and we are yet to confirm a month to return in 2006, sharing ideas and info here has been a great help.

Cheers
M