Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about power tools

Question about power tools

Old Jun 10th 2005, 3:04 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about power tools

I know its not worth taking 110v power tools over to Australia, but are you allowed to use UK spec' 220-240v tools at your place of work once you have changed the plugs over to Australian ones and had them tested?

Thanks

Jon
Old Jun 10th 2005, 5:12 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about power tools

dont see why not, as you say they will be tested and should be of british strandard which is pretty high in world standards
alk
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:11 am
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
dont see why not, as you say they will be tested and should be of british strandard which is pretty high in world standards
alk
Thats what i was thinking but was not sure, thanks for the reply

Jon
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:32 am
Happy, happy Visa holders

Location: Back in Huddersfield, after fantastic time in Gold Coast
And&Mez has a spectacular aura aboutAnd&Mez has a spectacular aura aboutAnd&Mez has a spectacular aura about

do u think this would work with my joinery tools ie chop saw rip saw planner
does any one know
thanks
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:42 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by And&Mez
do u think this would work with my joinery tools ie chop saw rip saw planner
does any one know
thanks
There is/are no problems using 240 power tools once they have been tested and tagged however I had to buy/source new cords complete with a moulded plug for my ones as the sparky said that the diy type replacement plugs sold here were unsuitable for site work. I only brought two 240 volt tools with me and they were the chargers for Makita cordless tools.
Here's a tip for you: if you need to replace cords with moulded plugs and have trouble obtaining them go to the local council tip and cut the ones from fridges, freezers etc.
P.S the flex will need to be suitable amp-age and have no nicks or cracks.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:15 am
Legal immigrant

Originally Posted by cresta57
There is/are no problems using 240 power tools once they have been tested and tagged however I had to buy/source new cords complete with a moulded plug for my ones as the sparky said that the diy type replacement plugs sold here were unsuitable for site work. I only brought two 240 volt tools with me and they were the chargers for Makita cordless tools.
Here's a tip for you: if you need to replace cords with moulded plugs and have trouble obtaining them go to the local council tip and cut the ones from fridges, freezers etc.
P.S the flex will need to be suitable amp-age and have no nicks or cracks.
Hi thanks for that, should save me quite a few quid or should that be dollars as 2 of the tools i will be bringing cost me £800 to buy :scared:

Jon