Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Best Gold Coast Primary Schools?

The Best Gold Coast Primary Schools?

Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Best Gold Coast Primary Schools?

The religious aspect was a concern for me not being a believer although our daughter does believe in God and is a christian so it is a positive for her. At Clover Hill she opted in to the religious education classes as it was not compulsory, but then again I don't think much was.

Last edited by neil248; Jun 25th 2010 at 9:59 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about

We have 3 girls who are all attending Varsity College. Classes average around 25 pupils which is better than their UK school. Would love to send them to Somerset College (which would be my choice of private school) but unfortunately too expensive!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Even Somerset College college is not all roses, I think it was a surgeon my wife works with who described the parents as tattooed Ferrari drivers. I found it funny anyway. Seeing the arrogant disregard for the 40kph speed limit on Somerset Drive at school time by expensive Eurocars overtaking and cutting up speeding Utes and then turning into Somerset college he may have had a point.

Last edited by neil248; Jun 26th 2010 at 5:09 am.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 6:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
Even Somerset College college is not all roses, I think it was a surgeon my wife works with who described the parents as tattooed Ferrari drivers. I found it funny anyway. Seeing the arrogant disregard for the 40kph speed limit on Somerset Drive at school time by expensive Eurocars overtaking and cutting up speeding Utes and then turning into Somerset college he may have had a point.
No school is. The behaviour may be better at private schools (debatable imo), the teaching may be better. However, the drug distribution network is undoubtedly better and some children will still fail.

A parent can only do what is best for their particular child and many of the 'best' schools would not be best for that particular child.

Money doesn't necessarily buy quality.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Many children will fail academically at private school. I work in a lowly cabinet making workshop and we have had young guys work for us who went to private schools and most of the time it does show in the way they handle themselves in general. Even if they are naughty boys they can cover it up very well and know when they need to behave.

Last edited by neil248; Jun 26th 2010 at 7:16 am.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:10 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheilas Wheels
We have 3 girls who are all attending Varsity College. Classes average around 25 pupils which is better than their UK school. Would love to send them to Somerset College (which would be my choice of private school) but unfortunately too expensive!
from personal experiance i`d give varsity a too

http://varsitycollege.eq.edu.au/wcmss/index.php
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=neil248;8647970]
Originally Posted by RenShen
"Funds go to the disfunctional first, probably with little effect." Could you supply us with the evidence of this please?

"Private schools are able to dispose of pupils who ruin things for everyone else" We are talking about kids here aren't we? Thought for a minute it was a line from a James Bond movie.

First hand experience is our evidence. Special needs covers both ends of the spectrum and we were told bluntly that the disruptive children and children with learning difficulties get funds first and the children who need more challenging work have to wait or get no help if the budget is used up. If you are happy for your child to sit through most of a lesson twiddling their thumbs while the rest of the class finish then no problem.

The child who caused so much grief for my daughters teacher and classmates seemed to have very serious problems and was also dangerous as he was more or less as big as the female teacher and he knew he was untouchable. If it was your child who was affected you would not make flippant comments about James Bond. We were unlucky as there were other bad boys in the class but the teacher and pupils were badly let down by the school management probably because their hands were tied by the system.

Your own post implies that your childs state school was basically a childminding facility and like us you made a choice in your childs best interest and moved him or her to a more appropriate school that is able to cater for their needs in a way that the state school either could not or would not.

I think the main thing here is that if you want to pay the fees you do have a choice in Australia which is not available to ordinary people in the UK.

State schooling is luck of the draw and many kids will get through fine with their particular needs met with no problems and if they are lucky they will have great classmates.
My comment was not flippant, I meant it. I think its wrong to take the stance that problem children should be "disposed" of, I try to see the wider picture. Yes, I choose a school that best suits my own child so clearly I am not happy for him to be twiddling his thumbs. However I don't feel the need to condemn or generalise about the other kids in the school.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=RenShen;8659930]
Originally Posted by neil248

My comment was not flippant, I meant it. I think its wrong to take the stance that problem children should be "disposed" of, I try to see the wider picture. Yes, I choose a school that best suits my own child so clearly I am not happy for him to be twiddling his thumbs. However I don't feel the need to condemn or generalise about the other kids in the school.
Maybe you could describe what the wider picture is, it would be good to have my narrow views widened.

You don't feel the need to condemn or generalise about other kids however disruptive because you have the means and common sense to remove your child from potential idiots and into an environment where he can in theory learn in peace. I actually felt sorry for some of my daughters friends left behind and we were not the only parents to remove their children from that school into the private sector at that time. Not everybody has that choice though which is the sad part.

I repeat, if it had been your family that had been affected in the way we were you may have a different view of how the system works and attempt to reduce the risk of the same thing happening again. The only positive thing was that from that early age the other kids learnt how do deal with a difficult working environment.

Yes "disposed" of sounds so awful so I will phrase it more pleasantly in a way described to me by a teacher.

If a child does miss behave badly in a private school and all attempts to rectify the problem do not work then they are likely to find that a place is not available to them next term.

I think that sounds better although it means exactly the same thing and I think your child is probably protected by this "insurance policy"

Varsity Lakes keeps cropping up as a good state school, so I assume the head, teachers and school management are pretty dynamic and inspire their pupils and nonsense is not tolerated. If our child had attended this school we would probably have a completely different view of the state system.

Last edited by neil248; Jun 27th 2010 at 8:57 am.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:56 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=neil248;8660013]
Originally Posted by RenShen
Varsity Lakes keeps cropping up as a good state school, so I assume the head, teachers and school management are pretty dynamic and inspire their pupils and nonsense is not tolerated. If our child had attended this school we would probably have a completely different view of the state system.
our daughter terri finished her schooling at varsity ( 2006 - 2009 ) from a background of private school; ( montessory ) 2-11, grammer schoool ( urmston grammer urmston manchester ) 11-13, she realy enjoyed attending and still keeps up with certain teachers who realy helped her achive good results etc, shes now at griffith uni mount gravvat and natham campus studying law and criminolagy, so i feel that state schools do compete and do as well as the pay schools in this area
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:42 am
Just Joined

cacwns is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

School year starts here at end January and you have to be 5 by 30 June in the year in which you start to be eligible. So if your daughter is 4 this October (2010) then she could not start until end Jan 2012.

I have two kids at school on Gold Coast. We came here in October 2008 and my eldest went to Merrimac Primary. He spent 6 months there before I had to take him out. If your daughter is bright then please do not send her to Merrimac. It's ok for average kids but if they need extra help or if they;re bright then forget it!!

My two kids (8 & 5) now go to Kings Christian College at Reedy Creek - not far from Robina. This is a private school with a strong emphasis on religon but we chose it because fees are lower than others. If money is not an object then look at Somerset.

Going to be controversial now. If schooling for your children is important to you - don't come to Queensland. They do national testing of kids here in Years 3,5 & 7. Queensland regularly gets one of the lowest scores overall. Only Northern Territory is worse. The best results always seem to come from Victoria & New South Wales. Just Google NAPLAN & see for yourself.

If I had known what I do now about education system here I would not have come to Queensland. Am seriously looking at NSW because don't want to ruin kids lives - my eldest is really bright as well & he is wasted here.

Sorry to be negative but I wish someone had told me these things before coming.

Last edited by cacwns; Jun 27th 2010 at 10:44 am.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cacwns
Going to be controversial now. If schooling for your children is important to you - don't come to Queensland. They do national testing of kids here in Years 3,5 & 7. Queensland regularly gets one of the lowest scores overall. Only Northern Territory is worse. The best results always seem to come from Victoria & New South Wales. Just Google NAPLAN & see for yourself.(
It's not controversial but you do have to bear in mind that the children doing those tests in QLD are a year younger or have had a year less schooling than the children in the other States. They're not on the same playing field.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:58 am
Just Joined

That's true but it doesn't help whenever you're worried about the level your child has reached compared to kids the same age in other parts of Australia.

Perhaps it would help if I gave an example of the experience I had about 4 weeks ago. My youngest son started Prep (1st year at school in Queensland) at end Jan this year. He is youngest in Class because he won't be 5 until 29 June - in two days time. He is doing really well learning to read and completes his reading book in about 5 minutes. This is supposed to last him all week. I spoke to his Teacher & asked that he be given harder text to read basically to stop him getting bored. I was astounded by her answer. Because he is weak at colouring in & cutting out she said she wouldn't be giving him any extra reading - he needs to develop his fine motor skills. Apparently this is more important than developing his reading further. OK so someone will now say try another school. I have spoken to a number of people I work with who have experienced similar scenarios and all tell me changing school won't achieve anything.

One other thing - a lot of the kids in my son's class are 6 not 5 because their parents have held them back from starting school at the eligible age.

Don't get me wrong - life here is really good and we love living here but the education system does need improving.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

From what I've seen and heard Australia seem to put more emphasis on social skills and general behaviour in the first year or so of school than on 'education'. It's not wrong and it's not inferior to the UK system, it's simply different. I wouldn't compare my children's education to children in other parts of Australia, just as I wouldn't compare to other children in other parts of the world. Not saying it's wrong but I personally don't see the point of comparison when it's obvious that children from all states go on and study at university and come out with similar skills to graduates around the world.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cacwns
That's true but it doesn't help whenever you're worried about the level your child has reached compared to kids the same age in other parts of Australia.

Perhaps it would help if I gave an example of the experience I had about 4 weeks ago. My youngest son started Prep (1st year at school in Queensland) at end Jan this year. He is youngest in Class because he won't be 5 until 29 June - in two days time. He is doing really well learning to read and completes his reading book in about 5 minutes. This is supposed to last him all week. I spoke to his Teacher & asked that he be given harder text to read basically to stop him getting bored. I was astounded by her answer. Because he is weak at colouring in & cutting out she said she wouldn't be giving him any extra reading - he needs to develop his fine motor skills. Apparently this is more important than developing his reading further. OK so someone will now say try another school. I have spoken to a number of people I work with who have experienced similar scenarios and all tell me changing school won't achieve anything.

One other thing - a lot of the kids in my son's class are 6 not 5 because their parents have held them back from starting school at the eligible age.

Don't get me wrong - life here is really good and we love living here but the education system does need improving.
If you are worried that he is being held back you could always give him some harder reading to do at home. At his age colouring in & cutting out are just as important.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

I have begun giving him harder reading at home but not because I'm worried about comparing him with other kids - it's really to stop him getting bored. His behaviour deteriorates when he gets bored.

I've heard the statistics about graduates here achieving the same level as others around the world and I'm not arguing about that but remember - not everyone goes to Uni. There is a lot of truth in the quote about "lies, damn lies & statistics"

I don't want to enter a debate about education standards between UK & Australia. There is no doubt good & bad points about each. I've only had personal experience of system in Queensland & UK so can't comment about other states. I would however like to say that Anna Bligh was concerned enough about general standards in Queensland to ask Professor Geoff Masters, to review primary school standards here (December 2008). Also, if the education system is so good, why is there such a shortage of professional people here? Is it because a lot of graduates leave & head off to other parts of the world. I understand the reluctance to compare kids but it's a global market now & you are up against highly educated people from all countries whether you like it or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.