Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Best Gold Coast Primary Schools?

The Best Gold Coast Primary Schools?

Old Jun 27th 2010, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

cacwns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Best Gold Coast Primary Schools?

In case anyone is interested Prof Masters did highlight some good points in his review but you might like to read the following extract:
"In summary, there appears to have been a decline in the relative performance of Queensland students in mathematics and science over a period of several decades. In the period 1964 to 1995, the absolute decline in lower secondary mathematics achievement appears to have been greater than in any other state,and to have been the equivalent of about two years of schooling. In recent years, significant achievement gains have been made in some states (especiallyNew South Wales and Victoria), but results in Queensland have flat-lined."
Old Jun 28th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone, I'm guessing this debate is going to last a bit longer but I've taken everything in and have a better direction...

Guess I'll be looking more at somerset vs varsity from what everyone's said...

The note about queensland has flagged up... I've wanted to move to queensland since day 1, but it looks like Melbourne would be a better place to go based on work... if it's going to be possibly better for schooling and commuting to the city then I've got to look into it again now,

To be honest, I think either would be good and at the end of the day "life is what you make it", there will be good things about both places, and there will be bad, and it's just finding ways to deal with the bad, making it better or learning to live with it.

I'm sure we will chose the right school, and if we don't then we will just have to research further once there and try to swap to one that is more suitable.

Thanks
Jen
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

goldenlove is an unknown quantity at this point

SOMERSET COLLEGE!!

My kids have also been accepted there, 13 and 8, and we're looking for some reviews?

thanks so much!!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Somerset College facilities are fantastic, when my daughter saw the library she could not believe it and was in heaven. For 5 minutes anyway as it is the one and only time she has seen it.

If we could we would

Somerset Drive in the morning and end of school is not much fun though.

My daughters friend has been moved to Somerset and reckons the work is easier than the ECHO program at Hillcrest although there is obviously a bigger picture. The parents have a different view for the longer term.

Last edited by neil248; Jul 17th 2010 at 2:57 am.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

We have also noted the poor image of education in Queensland some of it appearing to be based on facts. The last time it was spouted at me it was from a Kiwi and I could not help thinking well go back to Kiwi land then.

However if my daughter had to attend the schools I did back in my home town of Shrewsbury I would probably weep.

Things may have changed but her primary school back home was a depressed affair compared to the general up beat feel of a school here, even the one we had problems with.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
We have also noted the poor image of education in Queensland some of it appearing to be based on facts. The last time it was spouted at me it was from a Kiwi and I could not help thinking well go back to Kiwi land then.

However if my daughter had to attend the schools I did back in my home town of Shrewsbury I would probably weep.

Things may have changed but her primary school back home was a depressed affair compared to the general up beat feel of a school here, even the one we had problems with.
That's what makes it impossible to suggest schools. If we had children in schools in the UK we can only judge against them and view the standards accordingly. If the Aus school suffers by comparison for the family involved, it doesn't matter a jot if others think it's a good school and visa versa.

The same goes for suburbs. It's all too personal and individual.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:44 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Personally I wouldn't send either of my girls there but it's a gut reaction and from hearing from one child who was deeply unhappy there but she was 10 when she started and left for Helensvale SHS when she was 14 and it's all down to the child and fitting into the school which is completely individual.

I have no issues with any of the primary schools on the coast. They all have a great attitude and family feel (from what I've seen and heard anyway). I'd say sort out your suburb - if you guys are not happy with the suburb you live in because you chose it because of the primary school, it won't matter how much the children like the school, you will all be miserable.

St Hilda's is the most expensive girls private school on the coast so there is no catchment area. If you can pay, and they like your child, you'll get a place.
Ditto - plenty of great schools on the Coast. Figure out where you want to live and check out the nearest/most convienent schools.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:47 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Plus I think so much comes down to the parents and the teacher, rather than the school.