Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best fish n chip shop around Sydney?

Best fish n chip shop around Sydney?

Old May 9th 2011, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best fish n chip shop around Sydney?

Originally Posted by Seasider
Ahem. You may find one or two references on this site to lemon tops. They're on my list of things to eat once a year, along with fish & chips (and pork pies). Marcus Pacitto was one of my very good teen drinking buddies so we usually have a chinwag

We're farming folk from all down that coast, especially around Staithes. Used to disco in Saltburn, go to Whitby or Scarborough for my holidays, go to Butlins Filey for dancing competitions...oh and Ruswarp for livestock, with my Grandad!
I come from a small village on the edge of the NYM national park, good to hear another person from around my neck of the woods on here
Old May 10th 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Does this mean we've bonded?
Nah, just doing my Homer Simpson impersonation.
Old May 10th 2011, 3:32 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I don't necessarily think its an 'unfortunately' that the fish and chips are very different. I love that I can get my fish grilled here in the chippy and that I can have a different choice of fish to cod, haddock or plaice.
Yep, me too. We eat out a lot and it's usually fish for me (whether it's the seafood basket in a pub bistro or something a little bit fancy in a nice restaurant).

Inspired by this thread, got takeaway from our local fish shop last night - and for the life of me I can't remember the name but looking at a map it's about 550 Botany Rd, opposite Subway, south of Green Square - and we can get various types of fish/seafood, cooked various ways, with chips, rice, and/or several different salads. We can get two fish, one chips, one salad and share (often skip the chips - honest!), and it's relatively healthy and more than enough for two, for less than we could cook it for.
Old May 10th 2011, 3:40 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, me too. We eat out a lot and it's usually fish for me (whether it's the seafood basket in a pub bistro or something a little bit fancy in a nice restaurant).

Inspired by this thread, got takeaway from our local fish shop last night - and for the life of me I can't remember the name but looking at a map it's about 550 Botany Rd, opposite Subway, south of Green Square - and we can get various types of fish/seafood, cooked various ways, with chips, rice, and/or several different salads. We can get two fish, one chips, one salad and share (often skip the chips - honest!), and it's relatively healthy and more than enough for two, for less than we could cook it for.

I can't quite see you in the bistro at the Iron Duke!

Will have to try that fish and chip shop. I rarely have it, but that may change if there is a good one nearby. I used to go to the one in Erskineville, but got sick to death of it always having just closed when I got there at 8:00 or some other perfectly reasonable time to expect a fish and chip shop to be open.

S
Old May 10th 2011, 10:08 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I can't quite see you in the bistro at the Iron Duke!

You could be right. Where you would see me is the Buckland - how good is that Thai food!

Will have to try that fish and chip shop. I rarely have it, but that may change if there is a good one nearby. I used to go to the one in Erskineville, but got sick to death of it always having just closed when I got there at 8:00 or some other perfectly reasonable time to expect a fish and chip shop to be open.

S
This one closes quite early too.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:36 am
Just Joined

simply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant future

Ahem. You may find one or two references on this site to lemon tops. They're on my list of things to eat once a year, along with fish & chips (and pork pies). Marcus Pacitto was one of my very good teen drinking buddies so we usually have a chinwag

We're farming folk from all down that coast, especially around Staithes. Used to disco in Saltburn, go to Whitby or Scarborough for my holidays, go to Butlins Filey for dancing competitions...oh and Ruswarp for livestock, with my Grandad!

Did someone say Redcar, Pacittos and lemon tops?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:16 pm
Auntie Fa

Who, me?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

simply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant futuresimply14u has a brilliant future

Who, me?
AHA!

How dare you mention Pacittos

I looooved Pacittos (& Reas when they were "going").

I was born in Cargo Fleet, Middlesbrough.

Came to Oz in 2002.

Missing Pacittos & good old cod & chips with scraps. Mmmmmmm.

Found out about an English chippy up in Brisbane this year.............wonder if they deliver to Maitland?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:22 pm
Auntie Fa

Pacittos kick Rea's arse. Just can't sing as well.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
I have put 10 years of research into this topic. Sadly they do not exist in Sydney but we do have them on the Central Coast.
then I'm afraid your research skills arent up to scratch sir

Oceanfoods Drummoyne http://www.oceanfoods.com.au/menu.html
is in my opinion one of the greatest fish and chip shops in the world.

(I seem to recall posting this in another thread too) In my opinion the legacy of the UK fish and chips has long been sullied by mediocre and overly greasy old food. At one point in time I'm sure that UK fish and chips was king, but Australian seafood has left it for dust. There are probably fresh fish and chip shops in St Ives and coastal places like that which do a mean fish and chips, but my overall experience and memories of UK fish and chips is more disappointment and grease than top notch food.

maybe its the type of fish,. maybe its the slightly more health conscious approach to cooking, but for me the UK fish and chip legacy is gone.

I'm going home for a couple of weeks and will be whizzing round the country seeing people. If anyone can recommend some UK fish and chips I would be happy to try them out and give a full report.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:36 pm
Auntie Fa

Chippy on Roseberry Square, Redcar. No idea of the name but it's my family's current favourite.

edit: And I really do expect you to go
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by In Exile
then I'm afraid your research skills arent up to scratch sir

Oceanfoods Drummoyne http://www.oceanfoods.com.au/menu.html
is in my opinion one of the greatest fish and chip shops in the world.

(I seem to recall posting this in another thread too) In my opinion the legacy of the UK fish and chips has long been sullied by mediocre and overly greasy old food. At one point in time I'm sure that UK fish and chips was king, but Australian seafood has left it for dust. There are probably fresh fish and chip shops in St Ives and coastal places like that which do a mean fish and chips, but my overall experience and memories of UK fish and chips is more disappointment and grease than top notch food.

maybe its the type of fish,. maybe its the slightly more health conscious approach to cooking, but for me the UK fish and chip legacy is gone.

I'm going home for a couple of weeks and will be whizzing round the country seeing people. If anyone can recommend some UK fish and chips I would be happy to try them out and give a full report.

Simple............http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/norton-fis...ockton-on-tees
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Chippy on Roseberry Square, Redcar. No idea of the name but it's my family's current favourite.

edit: And I really do expect you to go
damn. i didnt think i'd have to go all the way up there!
Thats "the north" isnt it?
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:28 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by In Exile
damn. i didnt think i'd have to go all the way up there!
Thats "the north" isnt it?
Where else do you think you're going to get good fish and chips?
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Where else do you think you're going to get good fish and chips?
civilisation, I was hoping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.