Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best fish n chip shop around Sydney?

Best fish n chip shop around Sydney?

Old May 8th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best fish n chip shop around Sydney?

One thing I am home sick for right now is a good old bag of British fish n chips but I hear that they are very hard to get hold of and are usually cooked a different way than in the UK?

Also the problem is I come from not that far away from Whitby originally so my standards are VERY VERY high indeed, I am used to the best fish n chips in the UK!

So has anyone found a good old fashioned British style chippy around Sydney as yet?
Old May 8th 2011, 10:54 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best fish n chip shop around Sydney?

Oh mate, are you going to be disappointed (I say that as a Redcarite.)
Old May 8th 2011, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon77
One thing I am home sick for right now is a good old bag of British fish n chips but I hear that they are very hard to get hold of and are usually cooked a different way than in the UK?

Also the problem is I come from not that far away from Whitby originally so my standards are VERY VERY high indeed, I am used to the best fish n chips in the UK!

So has anyone found a good old fashioned British style chippy around Sydney as yet?
Try Fish on Fire in Glebe

http://www.fishonfire.com.au/reviews.html
Old May 8th 2011, 11:02 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

But where's the scraps and mushy peas?

I must stress there is some fantastic fish and seafood here - just not quite the experience you're after.

There's a lovely fine dining restaurant, Restaurant Arras, down Hickson Road in Walsh Bay. Go there sometime and have their take on fish and chips - the chef is from Hull and does British food with a very clever twist.
Old May 8th 2011, 11:04 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Fish & Chips Hornsby

276 Pacific Highway
Hornsby NSW 2077
(02) 9482 4994

Real chips! old greek couple.... get there before they retire!
Old May 8th 2011, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Oh mate, are you going to be disappointed (I say that as a Redcarite.)
Redcar!!!

I thought lemon tops would be more your thing

My first girlfriend was from Redcar and I learnt how to drink there in the 90's
Old May 8th 2011, 9:59 pm
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by Jon77
Redcar!!!

I thought lemon tops would be more your thing

My first girlfriend was from Redcar and I learnt how to drink there in the 90's
Ahem. You may find one or two references on this site to lemon tops. They're on my list of things to eat once a year, along with fish & chips (and pork pies). Marcus Pacitto was one of my very good teen drinking buddies so we usually have a chinwag

We're farming folk from all down that coast, especially around Staithes. Used to disco in Saltburn, go to Whitby or Scarborough for my holidays, go to Butlins Filey for dancing competitions...oh and Ruswarp for livestock, with my Grandad!
Old May 8th 2011, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

But where's the scraps and mushy peas?
What are scraps (in this context)?

Mushy peas. Now there is a food I loathe. And people always assume I would love mushy peas by virtue of being a northerner.
Old May 8th 2011, 10:23 pm
Auntie Fa

Small bits of batter that have broken off the fish, BS.
Old May 8th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Go and try the fish and chips at Balmoral Beach. Can't say they equate to UK but they are very good and the combination with the location as you sit on a bench or on the beach is fantastic.
Old May 8th 2011, 10:58 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Used to disco in Saltburn, go to Whitby or Scarborough for my holidays, go to Butlins Filey for dancing competitions...oh and Ruswarp for livestock, with my Grandad!
We'll be off to Filey for Fish n Chips in October.. I can't wait

I'm from Co Durham originally.. we always used to go to Whitby for holidays too (when we weren't at Whitley Bay.. Whitby was the height of exoticism compared to WB)
Old May 8th 2011, 11:16 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We'll be off to Filey for Fish n Chips in October.. I can't wait

I'm from Co Durham originally.. we always used to go to Whitby for holidays too (when we weren't at Whitley Bay.. Whitby was the height of exoticism compared to WB)

Fish and chips here is VERY different, unfortunately. I always make sure that I visit Czarcone on Narborough Road in Leicester when I am back, just for that once a year proper fish and chips taste.

As for here, Balmain Blue on Darling Street in Balmain is pretty good - the fish is excellent, and cooked very well, but the chips are french fries style, but nice none the less.

The real mission, however, is finding a place that provides malt vinegar to add to your chips...

S
Old May 8th 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

What about these guys...
http://www.doyles.com.au/12201+0+doy...-the-wharf.htm
...I've heard them recommended a few times.
Old May 9th 2011, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
What about these guys...
http://www.doyles.com.au/12201+0+doy...-the-wharf.htm
...I've heard them recommended a few times.
Best fish and chips in Sydney but nothng like British fish and chips.
Old May 9th 2011, 1:34 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Best fish and chips in Sydney but nothng like British fish and chips.

Yes, they are very good, just a royal pain in the arse to get to from just about anywhere.

There are also some places in the Fish Markets, some are good, some are bad.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.