Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best fish n chip shop around Sydney?

Best fish n chip shop around Sydney?

Old May 9th 2011, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best fish n chip shop around Sydney?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, they are very good, just a royal pain in the arse to get to from just about anywhere.

There are also some places in the Fish Markets, some are good, some are bad.

S
Doyles used to be pretty convenient for me when I lived in Sydney. Just a 2 min walk down the road.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:21 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Fish and chips here is VERY different, unfortunately. I always make sure that I visit Czarcone on Narborough Road in Leicester when I am back, just for that once a year proper fish and chips taste.
I don't necessarily think its an 'unfortunately' that the fish and chips are very different. I love that I can get my fish grilled here in the chippy and that I can have a different choice of fish to cod, haddock or plaice.

I just get an occasional hankering for the fish n chips I grew up on.. I'll probably find that they don't live up to my memories when I have them later this year, and I spend the rest of my life eternally disappointed

(We have a bottle of Sarsons for chips taken home, but I think I'l be appropriating some sachets for chips eaten out! Oh, and possibly some HP sachets too)
Old May 9th 2011, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Ocean Foods, 154 Lyons Rd, Drummoyne. In Inner West Sydney.

ps. this tread has made me so hungry that I will be going to the above chip shop tonight

Last edited by rozellem; May 9th 2011 at 3:10 am.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:36 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I never quite get this fish an chip thing.
I get good and bad depending on where I buy them from.
Used to be the same in England as I recall.
In fact I've had more bad ones in Uk than I have here.

I loved Hollands meat pies from Manchester,gave one to my wife from Plymouth and she thought they were horrible.I had her Ivor Dewdney pasty in Plymouth and didn't like that.

It's just a hankering for what you were used to.
You've moved,it's different,that's that.
Old May 9th 2011, 3:10 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I don't necessarily think its an 'unfortunately' that the fish and chips are very different. I love that I can get my fish grilled here in the chippy and that I can have a different choice of fish to cod, haddock or plaice.

I meant unfortunately from the perspective of the OP. I quite like fish and chips here, though I really do miss smoked mackerel - one of the few fish varieties with a distinct and unique taste, and I can't get it here

S
Old May 9th 2011, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

I quite like fish and chips here, though I really do miss smoked mackerel - one of the few fish varieties with a distinct and unique taste, and I can't get it here

S
Yes, that is so true. I used to buy them in the UK supermarkets all the time, was cheap too. I have only seen them here once, at the Orange Grove farmers market in Lilyfield and they were very expensive. The only other thing I really miss from UK supermarkets are the cooked beetroot they used to have vacuum packed, 4 beets to a packet. Here all the beetroot is either raw or in tins, with added vinegar. Whats that all about, you completely miss the natural sweet taste.
Old May 9th 2011, 4:23 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What are scraps (in this context)?

Mushy peas. Now there is a food I loathe. And people always assume I would love mushy peas by virtue of being a northerner.
Originally Posted by Seasider
Small bits of batter that have broken off the fish, BS.
They were called scrumps where I grew up
Old May 9th 2011, 4:28 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
One thing I am home sick for right now is a good old bag of British fish n chips but I hear that they are very hard to get hold of and are usually cooked a different way than in the UK?

Also the problem is I come from not that far away from Whitby originally so my standards are VERY VERY high indeed, I am used to the best fish n chips in the UK!

So has anyone found a good old fashioned British style chippy around Sydney as yet?
We tried this place when we were in Sydney a few weeks back. Pretty good, the whole family enjoyed it
Old May 9th 2011, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I never quite get this fish an chip thing.
I get good and bad depending on where I buy them from.
Used to be the same in England as I recall.
In fact I've had more bad ones in Uk than I have here.

I loved Hollands meat pies from Manchester,gave one to my wife from Plymouth and she thought they were horrible.I had her Ivor Dewdney pasty in Plymouth and didn't like that.

It's just a hankering for what you were used to.
You've moved,it's different,that's that.
Mmmmmm... Hollands Meat Pies....
Old May 9th 2011, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
They were called scrumps where I grew up
Scratchings where I grew up.

Also called scrapings.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:56 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I meant unfortunately from the perspective of the OP. I quite like fish and chips here, though I really do miss smoked mackerel - one of the few fish varieties with a distinct and unique taste, and I can't get it here

S
I love smoked mackerel.. I've definitely had it since we came to Australia but I couldn't for the life of me tell you where (which isn't much help, is it? )
Old May 9th 2011, 8:42 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Mmmmmm... Hollands Meat Pies....
Does this mean we've bonded?
Old May 9th 2011, 8:59 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I have put 10 years of research into this topic. Sadly they do not exist in Sydney but we do have them on the Central Coast.

Darrons Seafood in Wamberal is the closest I have found to pretty consistently great Fish and Chips. Only bad news is it will take around 1.5 hours to get there from Sydney.
Old May 9th 2011, 9:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Scratchings where I grew up.

Also called scrapings.
Scrumps sounds yummier
Old May 9th 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Steve2009
What about these guys...
http://www.doyles.com.au/12201+0+doy...-the-wharf.htm
...I've heard them recommended a few times.
Not bad if you can handle the wait, the bill and and the hassle of getting there...and then if you want a seat...mind you if you take away on a nice sunny day the view beats Brid. There used to be a half decent one down at La Perouse, http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...W/La%20Perouse for those of you who don't know that end of town its where the first french turned up and tom cruise blew something up in a mission impossible, nice view and not a bad place to chuck a line..

Bob

Last edited by Bob Tonnor; May 9th 2011 at 10:36 am. Reason: add link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.