Best Bank?

Old Nov 6th 2015, 4:31 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Bank?

Originally Posted by Beoz
Free Pay Wave ...... do banks charge for that?
The shops charge it.
All the supermarkets for example.
ING credit whatever the fee is back to your account for transactions up to $100.

Interesting really as not many shops charge for EFTPOS transactions and that costs them.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 4:45 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

The branch up the road from me has a coin counter, and every 6 months or so I turn up with all the coins I fling in a draw at the end of the day. They want you to have an account to use the coin counter.
One of my last visits to a Combank branch was to pay a cheque into my account.

Teller "Do that at the machine on the wall".
Me "No thanks. I don't use them".
Teller "I'll show you how to use it next time".
Me "Actually, no, you won't".
Teller "Why ever not?".
Me "Because I believe in keeping abrupt tellers like you in a job".
Old Nov 6th 2015, 9:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcab
Polly.
Have some great memories of Australia, we just chose the wrong state.
When we leave, we will come back to Oz, but we will never come back to Qld. The Heritage is very Quenslandy, it kind of represents how we feel about Qld.
When I called them last night to make a complaint, they said, "oh well we will pass it on upstairs to a higher manager, he will take a look and take on board your thoughts. But that's all we can do, rules are rules and it has always been like that with that account. Goodbye".
In their defence it is there in B&W. They did offer to send us the book outlining the term and condition. Which I thought was fair enough.
I'm hearing you! Any other state has to be better!
Every time i have to deal with the Heritage it reminds me of evything that is 40 years behind in this state. the whole thing with my MiL knowing my account details was just bizarre -the woman at the call centre couldn't see the problem, she thought that being family we all had the right to know each others details
The sooner I can get rid of my last account there the better, unfortunately that could be a couple of years yet.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 1:22 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

The Heritage, well its a term and condition, any ATM withdrawals or balance summary's onscreen at a non Heritage ATM, if you go over ten in a calendar month, its $1.75 a pop. Just to view onscreen your balance.
In all fairness, as bad as the bank in question might be, I don't think one's own blame for such ATM charges dissipates because someone didn't know that they would be charged for using another bank's machine.

I know where to use my ATM card for free and where I cannot. It's entirely up to me to know this and keep tabs on it.

Regarding the original question, I'd probably recommend HSBC. ANZ would also be worth looking into as they are much more international than before. What's good about HSBC is that with Premier status you can move funds internationally between accounts instantly and at no cost. Moreover, the exchange rate (using the "Get Rate") feature is quite decent compared to other banks.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 10:22 am
Just Joined

gemmaddavis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have started the Visa process and would like to set up an Australian bank account to start saving money.

I have entered a mine field I know very little about.

Does anyone know which bank will suit me best - I like to have a branch I can see someone face to face, I will be making deposits from my Barclays account here in the uk, I will need internet banking and most importantly I want a bank that will give me the faires exchange rate and not charge for me depositing money into my aus account or transferring it back to my uk Barclays one (if ever needed)

Also - if any one has any knowledge on a better british bank than Barclays for dealing with this im open to suggestions (I understand that Barclays may charge for my deposits)

any help is appreciated.

Gem
Old Feb 6th 2016, 10:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemmaddavis
Hi,

I have started the Visa process and would like to set up an Australian bank account to start saving money.

Does anyone know which bank will suit me best - I like to have a branch I can see someone face to face, I will be making deposits from my Barclays account here in the uk, I will need internet banking and most importantly I want a bank that will give me the faires exchange rate and not charge for me depositing money into my aus account or transferring it back to my uk Barclays one (if ever needed)

Also - if any one has any knowledge on a better british bank than Barclays for dealing with this im open to suggestions (I understand that Barclays may charge for my deposits)

any help is appreciated.

Gem
Hi Gem and welcome to BE

Easy answer is not to use a bank for transfers - use a forex company for better exchange rates.

OFX (previously OzForex ) used to give a couple of fee free transfers to entice users but I don't know if this is still the case. And for smaller transfers, there is the sister company tranzfers (I think that's how they spell it)

As for Australian banks - Westpac have a branch in London where you can open an account and do security checks before moving so you have cards before you go. Otherwise, most allow you to set up an account online and nominate a general branch or area as a 'home' branch and then do security checks on arrival.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

any help is appreciated.

Gem
HSBC - if you can get a Premier account.

Instant transfers between UK and Oz. No fee. FX pretty good.

Branches aren't as readily available as some others in Oz.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

any help is appreciated.

Gem
As you have not even got a visa yet, I would not open an Australian bank account at this point. Save up in the UK and open up an Australian bank account nearer the time or eve upon arrival. I can see little to no upside in getting an account now.

When you are ready to open a bank account, I think the four major banks are all much of a muchness. They all have internet accounts and all have branches. I would not use any of them for actually transferring money, much better to use a broker.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 9:54 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No experience with HSBC, but defintiely ditch the Heritage. Both myself and my friends only ended up with them because our then partners were brain=washed Queenslanders who believed the Heritage were fantastic. Their charges, as you say, are crazy and their service is ^^(%^& Their final straw with me was when they told my then mother-in-law (in her local branch) all the details of how much I had in my account and what I had recently spent. I didn't even bank at that branch and they didn't ask me before disclosing personal financial info.
Polly: We've been banking with the Bank of Queensland for the last six or so years, both personal and our SMSF, and find them by far the best bank where we are (NSW!)

They are a franchise bank and the staff know what they are about - a welcome change from the likes of NAB, CBA, ANZ and the rest.

We occasionally have to transfer quite large sums on the internet - the previous bank we used (IMB) had a tiny limit. If you wanted a temporary increase you had to fill in a form with all the details, including why you wanted to send the cash(!) and they would say yea or nay in 6 business days.

It is an ex-bank.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 8:06 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC - if you can get a Premier account.

Instant transfers between UK and Oz. No fee. FX pretty good.

Branches aren't as readily available as some others in Oz.
Yeah, best choice for free international transfers between your own accounts and decent online exchange rates.

You could also try Citibank to do the same. I believe the transfers should be free but you'd have to double-check if that's still the case.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Dave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Bank of Queensland. They run on a franchise model so you can easily get direct contact with the Owner/Manager.

They gave me nothing but great support when I switched from WestPac. When my house sale in the UK fell through they helped my house purchase here in Fremantle still to get through.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 11:10 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
Just worries me no branch. We often go into branch to request a statement to be printed, just for change of address in the UK.
Ing would have to post one out, and I guess they would charge for adhoc?
Thanks again
I must admit I am a bit like that too - just prefer to go into a branch to do things beyond simple transfers. We opened with Westpac and have so far been very happy - the initial account opening from overseas is done online and then you just go to your local branch on arrival and they finish it all off. You can make deposits before you arrive also.

Possibly, if I'd thought about it a bit more ( ) I would have gone with HSBC seeing as we have a UK account with them!