Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:37 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Originally Posted by janeyray
Hi Mrs J,

We looked at a few schools and chose a Catholic School in Ellenbrook. Our daughter loved the school and although the religous side was pushed it was a good school. I'm not Catholic but hubby is.
Our daughter did moan sometimes and come home saying all they had done all day was talk about jesus ( ) but out of all the schools in the area we thought it was the best.
Could you post the details or pm me as we are looking for catholic schools in Perth and will be coming over in Sept. for Reccie, so would like to plan before hand .
Thanks for your help
Gillian
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:14 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
Hi Mrs J,

We looked at a few schools and chose a Catholic School in Ellenbrook. Our daughter loved the school and although the religous side was pushed it was a good school. I'm not Catholic but hubby is.
Our daughter did moan sometimes and come home saying all they had done all day was talk about jesus ( ) but out of all the schools in the area we thought it was the best.

If they spent all day talking about Jesus, when did they do the work that kids in non religo schools do???

Or was it, if you have 12 apostles and take away 4 how many apostles are left? Then add Jesus whats your total....... or were they disciples

Lynn
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:42 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

or maybe the maths question from hell.

this question is in two parts:

a) jesus had one jug of water and one loaf of bread. how did he feed 10,000 people?

b) where did jesus get the drugs from?

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
If they spent all day talking about Jesus, when did they do the work that kids in non religo schools do???

Or was it, if you have 12 apostles and take away 4 how many apostles are left? Then add Jesus whats your total....... or were they disciples

Lynn
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
or maybe the maths question from hell.

this question is in two parts:

a) jesus had one jug of water and one loaf of bread. how did he feed 10,000 people?

b) where did jesus get the drugs from?
or, there were 20 christians in Rome who were thrown to the lions, how many were still alive at the end of the day?

or, how many nails did it take to nail Jesus to the cross? Did they use a club hammer or a claw hammer?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Could you please explain this in a bit more detail Jaj?
Which was in response to my original remark:
"A school that *calls* itself a 'Christian' school is likely to have an evangelical leaning to it, which isn't everyone's cup of tea either."

I meant exactly what I said. Most Anglican, Presbyterian and Methodist (called Uniting Church in Australia) run schools tend not to have the word 'Christian' as part of their name. They might have a saint's name, or the denomination name, or the name might not immediately give away the denominational affiliation.

On the other hand if the school is a self-declared 'Christian' school as part of its name, it may well have a strongly evangelical leaning. As I've pointed out, like Catholicism, but for different reasons, this may not be to everyone's taste as it often involves some quite literal interpretations of the Bible and a worship style that's not for introverts.

I am of course open to correction.

Jeremy
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CPW
But it is all a matter of degree. There would be many Christian parents, I imagine, who would prefer that their children were exposed to Christian influences during their education than that they weren't, even if the influence was from a denomination that they didn't themselves belong to. As I say, it's all a matter of degree and of what one considers to be fundamental to Christianity. The Roman Catholic Church and some of the 'lower' Protestant churches have traditionally been more exercised by differences in denominational practice and belief than some of the more 'central' Protestant churches and mainstream Anglicanism has been.
It's obviously a personal choice. Many mainstream Protestant parents (by which I generally mean Anglican/Methodist/Presbyterian/Baptist) would prefer to send their children to a non-denominational school as opposed to a Roman Catholic one (if that was the only choice available) - on the basis that the children would get whatever pastoral/spiritual education and care they needed at home, or at church, and there would be no need to deal with certain confusing or conflicting messages they might get in a Roman Catholic school.

And in the so-called post-Christian era in the West, many of the sectarian divisions are becoming more blurred than they have been - for example, I know an Anglican person (a trainee clergyman, no less) who is the head of religious studies at a Roman Catholic school - and he's not even what I would class as a 'high-church' Anglican, much less an Anglo-Catholic. This sort of thing would have been, I imagine, pretty much unthinkable only 20 or 30 years ago.
I wonder how he feels about teaching the doctrine of "papal infallibility", for starters.

Lest anyone get a contrary impression, I've nothing specific against the Roman Catholic church and I fundamentally believe in respecting other people's religious beliefs (or lack of). And the sectarianism that afflicts parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland is a deeply distasteful aspect of society there, although one wonders how much it is to do with tribalism rather than genuine differences of religious belief.

All that said, the differences between Roman Catholicism and the mainstream Protestant denominations go beyond mere denominational wrapping and affect some pretty fundamental issues. In that context, it still seems odd why someone would wish to work in, or send their children to, a Roman Catholic school while not wishing to become a Roman Catholic themselves. Or vice versa.

Jeremy
Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:13 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think as well that there is also the chance that if you go to a catholic school and are of some other denomination you could be the subject of bullying? Don't bullys tend to pick on someone who is different? JAJ mentioned the sectarian issues in parts of Scotland, i don't come from that part but have known people who do and wouldn't let their children talk to a child who "kicked with the other foot". I'm sure there are still people who, due to their backgrounds think like this and we all know how cruel some kids can be!

Lynn
Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:55 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
Do you think as well that there is also the chance that if you go to a catholic school and are of some other denomination you could be the subject of bullying? Don't bullys tend to pick on someone who is different? JAJ mentioned the sectarian issues in parts of Scotland, i don't come from that part but have known people who do and wouldn't let their children talk to a child who "kicked with the other foot". I'm sure there are still people who, due to their backgrounds think like this and we all know how cruel some kids can be!

Lynn
There were non-catholic kids at my school and it made no difference, you'd have to be a pretty fundamentalist kid to use religion as a reason to pick on someone when there are just so many more inviting reasons to target someone for bullying so I'd say the chances were extremely slim.

The parents - woah yeah. Esp the really devout ones. dont hold your birthday parties on a sunday, dont celebrate halloween ( ie trick & treat ) because thats tantamount to devil worship (I'm serious - I know people who got accused of that by some zealous nutter at their kids school - mind you these people didnt have a TV because it TV was the devils-teaching... ).

Of all the most insensitve, uncaring, bigotted, people Ive ever had the experience to meet , those that hide behind Christianity or Religion are the absolute worst - the more devout the worse they get. Racists are racists - they dont proclaim to love everyone and at the same time sponsor throwing bricks at protestant school children on their way to school.

So many people use religion as a reason to fight or single people out for different treatment but I dont know of any religion whose teachings actually say that - its just that petty-minded people seem to want to cling to a cause and interpret it to support their own vindictiveness and weakness. ( Protestant vs Catholic, Everyone vs the Jews, Islamic loonies, Catholic Loonies (abortion-bombers), buddhists are the one exception - never met a nasty buddhist they dont fight much they're pretty cool but they dont run many schools unfortunately.)
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:46 am
Just Joined

MaoriPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Just wondering if there are any??

May have opportunity to send Littluns to Catholic Private School, but we aren't. Can anyone see any advantages/disadvantages.

Renth, if you are reading this you probably know the one I mean so would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks all

Mrs J
I am 25 and went through Catholic schooling even though we weren't Catholics. I went to a Catholic primary school, as did my older brother then went on to an 'all girls' Catholic high school. I loved my school years and especially high school. I loved being at an all girl school and wouldn't trade the memories and fun i had for anything in the world.

As we didn't grow up going to church as a family it was all a new experience for me once i started school but it never hindered my education or growth as an individual. Yes, there are the fundamentalist parents (and therefore children) you have to deal with and who look down their nose at you etc, but you get that anywhere and everywhere in life and it was great character building!!

While religion was a major part of the school and its philosophies it wasn't rammed down our throats as such, yes we had to attend church or service at the end of each term and do religious education classes, but for those who didnt' go to a religious school its not all about bible bashing. We learnt about a range of other religions (Muslim, Budism, Judaism etc) and learnt a lot about ourselves in the process.

My school was reasonly strict, as many religious schools are, and like any young students we pushed the boudaries. I wouldn't change my experience in Catholic schools, i had a number of excellent teachers that not only taught me educationally but taught me good lessons about life, morals, valuing other human beings and making our own choices in life (not that you can't learn those lessons in other schools).

I guess i am just really lucky that the system suited me. Talk to your children, ask them where they want to go and discuss their reasons for that. So many parents intent on doing 'whats right for their children' make decisions which are ultimately going to form their childrens lives yet never consider what the child, or in this case, young adult wants. I knew a number of girls at my school who had completely opposite expereinces to me and i know they would have done so much better in co-ed public schools. Its not always about the best school will get the best results for students. Some of my most highly successful friends and work colleagues (doctors, investment bankers and a lawyer) went through public schools in very low socio-economic areas.

Just food for thought....
Old Jul 29th 2005, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

THEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
Easy to say that they 'can' decide, but how many Catholic schools encourage this kind of decision process and especially give children information on the most likely alternatives - Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian etc as well as adopting a non-religious outlook on life.

Jeremy
Catholic schools are not there to give out information on the likely religious alternatives, we send our children to Catholic school to be taught a high quality education in a catholic gospel centred community, within R E today children learn about all different religions to respect them and one day they might choose a different path if that be religious or not.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:01 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THEOLIVERS
Catholic schools are not there to give out information on the likely religious alternatives, we send our children to Catholic school to be taught a high quality education in a catholic gospel centred community, within R E today children learn about all different religions to respect them and one day they might choose a different path if that be religious or not.
Exscuse me while I roll about laughing, how the hell are they going to choose a different path when they've been brainwashed from an early age about sinning and going to hell, no grey areas only sin and not sin.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:09 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
That is all very admirable, but at the end of the day you are talking about your childrens' education. So I personally think it would possibly be even more admirable to ask your uncle for a letter (unless you think he will say no -although I would guess he will be very happy that your children will have a religious education and influence that they may not get at home), get your children into your school of choice and then get on enjoying your new life overseas which presumably brings other challenges? I know you may feel this is hypocritical, but then isn't sending them to a catholic school equally so?

At the end of the day, you would like a religious education for your children. (Are you sure about this btw?) From reading your posts I would have thought this was the hypocritical part, not the admissions process? If you are truly worried about hypocrisy (sp?) then I am guessing that a mainstream education is the answer, but I suspect you have concluded that the religious schools offer the better education!

Tricky one I know. I actually had the reverse issue in the UK. I would have preferred a CofE school, but bizarrely they are not the good schools where I live so I opted for the non-denominational school which is also the one I can walk to - another important aspect for me personally to educate my children on the benefits of excercise and advantages of not using cars where possible. My 5 year old will now be able to give you at least 3 reasons why we walk to school and do not take the car!!!! - unless we're running very late of course!

Best of luck with your decisions! Apologises if this post comes across as harsh, it is not meant to, just merely thought provoking so please don't take any offence. The written word can be hard.
So come on then.....own up.....who called me a fuss pot and didn't leave their name!!!! Not sure what the point was, I only ever click on 'karma' to actually send some myself. Do some people have too much time on their hands? Anyhow, it was bizarre as I have never been called that before. Definitely not me.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:17 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THEOLIVERS
Possibly sounds a bit claustrophic? (beware the potential to rebel) Hopefully not an 'exclusive' community that it may appear from the outside.

Now what is it about a RC upbringing that can completely switch people off religion? My (half Italian) father had a strict RC childhood - daily mass until 18 - then left home and never set foot inside a church again (funerals excluded). Neither me nor my sister were even christened it just makes him completely jittery. So our completely non religious relaxed upbringing has resulted in 1 christian (cofE) and another half way there christian. We did of course have a good moral upbringing, but again pretty relaxed. I really don't know how my parents did it?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:31 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

So come on then.....own up.....who called me a fuss pot and didn't leave their name!!!! Not sure what the point was, I only ever click on 'karma' to actually send some myself. Do some people have too much time on their hands? Anyhow, it was bizarre as I have never been called that before. Definitely not me.
I got exactly the same mate, another mystery karma giver.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:34 pm
Breeding little aussies

Me too!!!

Sounds like the sort of thing my mother would say

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.