Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

THEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Originally Posted by Hutch
See what you've done there - the big 'I'? If your kids buy into it, fair enough, but aren't you in danger of imposing something on them? My mother travelled that road (as I mentioned above) and it had the opposite effect she was hoping for. If my son discovers christianity or buddhism or any other form of spirituality then fair play to him, but I'm not going to force him one way or the other.
I dont think its forcing faith on children, as a catholic, youngest of 6 (go on do the joke) i think my parents guided me in faith ,its like teaching a child anything from crossing the road to spelling, you do what you think is best and right for your kids, the same way i have done fo mine.
If when they are older and decide its not for them they CAN be whatever they want to be.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THEOLIVERS
I dont think its forcing faith on children, as a catholic, youngest of 6 (go on do the joke) i think my parents guided me in faith ,its like teaching a child anything from crossing the road to spelling, you do what you think is best and right for your kids, the same way i have done fo mine.
If when they are older and decide its not for them they CAN be whatever they want to be.
Easy to say that they 'can' decide, but how many Catholic schools encourage this kind of decision process and especially give children information on the most likely alternatives - Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian etc as well as adopting a non-religious outlook on life.

Jeremy
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:05 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

And you'd better hope they dont chose to get Gay......
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:07 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
The title of the thread is Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic? i have thought about this and i can only say if the education is better than you can get any where else then that is a benefit, if you don't have any strong beliefs either way then yeah maybe thats ok, if you do have strong beliefs that arent Catholic then i'm not so sure. If you spoke only english and the best school in town spoke only swahili, would you put them there?
I couldn't agree more

What is this percieve brilliance about catholic schools anyway

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...7-2862,00.html

A school is only as good as its staff.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:14 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A school that *calls* itself a 'Christian' school is likely to have an evangelical leaning to it, which isn't everyone's cup of tea either.
Could you please explain this in a bit more detail Jaj?
Going back to the original question, there are some pretty fundamental differences between the beliefs of Catholicism and those of the mainstream Protestant denominations and it seems odd that any parent would wish their children to be exposed to something with which they themselves do not agree.
I agree absolutly. As i have said it makes me fell very uncomfortable, brrrr for all the reasons you pointed out here ......
While 'Catholic' schools do obviously vary, any non-Catholic parents contemplating a particular school (despite the general point above), should ask questions about the proportion of non-Catholic pupils, what specific doctrines are taught, and whether non-Catholic pupils are expected to participate in Catholic rituals. No matter how 'good' it may be academically, if your child is Protestant/Jewish/no religion at all etc, he or she may not feel at home in such an environment.

Jeremy
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Why are morals and values christian? are you saying Buddhist, Hindus etc don't have morals or that they are inferior.
No. Please substitute and for plus to make my meaning clearer.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:17 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i guess i was lucky at school. i was taught about most of the mainstream religions (christianity, islam, hinduism, sikhism, buddism, etc). i'd like to emphasise 'taught about', i.e. we were not force fed christian rhetoric. we were taught that hindus believe in many gods, sikhs don't believe in cutting their hair, and catholic priests molest young boys (sorry, couldn't resist a bit of a wind up). my point is we weren't taught to be christian, but to know what it is to be a christian (muslim/sikh/hindu......).
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:18 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Because it's all fantasy with no proof just stuff that was written years ago to keep the masses happy when nobody knew any different.

You might as well believe in Harry Potter.
I believe the bible was to us what the dream time is to the indigenous Australians. A load of old crap made up to explain things before we understood science.

As for the question "do i believe in god and heaven??" i always reply "only cos I'm to scared not to" And thats so true its not funny
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:20 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
No. Please substitute and for plus to make my meaning clearer.
I retracted that later if you read on, so
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

A colleague of mine has sent her daughter to a Steiner school,http://directory.google.com/Top/Refe...ols/Australia/

as she was finding her daughter was being bullied etc, but the one thing she did like was their curriculum and their outlook on life. I think a parent has to visit a school and see which ones comes up to their morals and beliefs and they are happy but more importantly the child is, whether you're religious or not.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I retracted that later if you read on, so
Sorry I went through the thread too quickly
Ta anyway
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:41 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
Sorry I went through the thread too quickly
Ta anyway
Me too, that's how it happened
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:26 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Going back to the original question, there are some pretty fundamental differences between the beliefs of Catholicism and those of the mainstream Protestant denominations and it seems odd that any parent would wish their children to be exposed to something with which they themselves do not agree.
But it is all a matter of degree. There would be many Christian parents, I imagine, who would prefer that their children were exposed to Christian influences during their education than that they weren't, even if the influence was from a denomination that they didn't themselves belong to. As I say, it's all a matter of degree and of what one considers to be fundamental to Christianity. The Roman Catholic Church and some of the 'lower' Protestant churches have traditionally been more exercised by differences in denominational practice and belief than some of the more 'central' Protestant churches and mainstream Anglicanism has been.

And in the so-called post-Christian era in the West, many of the sectarian divisions are becoming more blurred than they have been - for example, I know an Anglican person (a trainee clergyman, no less) who is the head of religious studies at a Roman Catholic school - and he's not even what I would class as a 'high-church' Anglican, much less an Anglo-Catholic. This sort of thing would have been, I imagine, pretty much unthinkable only 20 or 30 years ago.

Last edited by CPW; Jul 28th 2005 at 1:33 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I believe the bible was to us what the dream time is to the indigenous Australians. A load of old crap made up to explain things before we understood science.

As for the question "do i believe in god and heaven??" i always reply "only cos I'm to scared not to" And thats so true its not funny
Well lets face it its only been the last 100 years or so, if not less, that everyone can read and write. It was written by Man and his viewpoints based on little knowledge of the world. How long ago was it when they realised the world was round? Since religion seemed always to try and put the fear into everyone, I think it was invented to keep the peasants in line.....backed up by nasty things the church did to people...

I was sent to a religious school and it put me off for life, quite sad really because before that when I was a toddler I said my prayers etc, but then again I used to believe in Santa Claus as well until I realised it was my Dad dressed up....
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:57 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Just wondering if there are any??

May have opportunity to send Littluns to Catholic Private School, but we aren't. Can anyone see any advantages/disadvantages.

Renth, if you are reading this you probably know the one I mean so would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks all

Mrs J
Hi Mrs J,

We looked at a few schools and chose a Catholic School in Ellenbrook. Our daughter loved the school and although the religous side was pushed it was a good school. I'm not Catholic but hubby is.
Our daughter did moan sometimes and come home saying all they had done all day was talk about jesus ( ) but out of all the schools in the area we thought it was the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.