Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:54 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Originally Posted by fraser
Why are morals christian? are you saying Buddhist, Hindus etc don't have morals or that they are inferior.
I think that Larissa said "with strong moral and Christian values" not "with strong moral Christian values" which in itself doesn't actually say that any other religion isn't moral or anything else

Doesn't religion create loads to discuss or even to go to war about

Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:59 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think that Larissa said "with strong moral and Christian values" not "with strong moral Christian values" which in itself doesn't actually say that any other religion isn't moral or anything else

Doesn't religion create loads to discuss or even to go to war about
Then I retract my question, I have just got up and my speed reading has failed me
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:16 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

What if Adam and Eve were actually the first Dinosaurs ?

Did God say anywhere that they were actually human ?

Well no he didnt say that Adam and Eve were NOT dinosaurs BUT he did create them in his own image. :scared: - you calling my god a dinosaur Jeez.... are you in trouble.

ABC- I suggest that given the blasphemy you have just written that you should be in sackcloth and ashes for 3mths at least!.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spalen
BUT he did create them in his own image. :scared: - you calling my god a dinosaur Jeez.... are you in trouble.
They do say we evolved from Monkeys, so.... no ... I had better not ...

mmm ... God does have a sense of humour doesn't he/she ?

Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Are the Catholic schools in Australia still anti English. The reason I ask is that I knew a number of people who would be in their 30's now who were brainwashed by the Catholic schools they attended to hate the English by Irish Priests. Hopefully they have moved on from that, but has anyone else come across it?

I am irish and in my 30's. I went to catholic schools in Ireland and was thought by Irish nuns and priests and never was I or anyone I know brainwashed to hate the english.

In fact when I left school I moved to London where I met my english husband and lived there happily before moving to Melbourne.

I am not particularly religious but my children attended catholic schools in London (because of there excellent reputation) and are now in catholic schools here in Melbourne and I am very happy with the education they are receiving.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:57 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I agree Meli, you don't have to be catholic to be anti English. You can also be Scottish.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:59 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

sorry, just had to post this pic of the ad that came up at the bottom of this thread.....
Attached Thumbnails Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?-ad.jpg  
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:11 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brisnick
sorry, just had to post this pic of the ad that came up at the bottom of this thread.....

That just about sums it up I guess
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:01 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Okay Carolyn, and I'm digressing to a a discussion in an earlier post....but I have my own beliefs. However, for my child to go the nearest 'good' Christian School (which would be my choice) I have to have a letter from either my Vicar in the UK or my Vicar here to say that I have attended Church at least 2-3 times per month for the last 12-18 months. Impossible while emigrating/travelling and having a newborn baby.

If I start now I will be in time to get my (nearly 2 year old) into the school of my (religious) choice, (although not now moral - more of which later).

We've only been here for 4 months. Sadly the Vicar that Christened our youngest was killed in an accident shortly before we arrived, (oh and my Uncle is the Bishop of Coventry), but I am not prepared to mention these things just so I can get my children into a school which favours my religion. It doesn't matter how proud I might be of my religious background I'm more interested in principles and standards than hypocrisy, and that's what I'll be teaching my children.

Hope this doesn't come across as strident, but I wanted you to see where I am coming from
That is all very admirable, but at the end of the day you are talking about your childrens' education. So I personally think it would possibly be even more admirable to ask your uncle for a letter (unless you think he will say no -although I would guess he will be very happy that your children will have a religious education and influence that they may not get at home), get your children into your school of choice and then get on enjoying your new life overseas which presumably brings other challenges? I know you may feel this is hypocritical, but then isn't sending them to a catholic school equally so?

At the end of the day, you would like a religious education for your children. (Are you sure about this btw?) From reading your posts I would have thought this was the hypocritical part, not the admissions process? If you are truly worried about hypocrisy (sp?) then I am guessing that a mainstream education is the answer, but I suspect you have concluded that the religious schools offer the better education!

Tricky one I know. I actually had the reverse issue in the UK. I would have preferred a CofE school, but bizarrely they are not the good schools where I live so I opted for the non-denominational school which is also the one I can walk to - another important aspect for me personally to educate my children on the benefits of excercise and advantages of not using cars where possible. My 5 year old will now be able to give you at least 3 reasons why we walk to school and do not take the car!!!! - unless we're running very late of course!

Best of luck with your decisions! Apologises if this post comes across as harsh, it is not meant to, just merely thought provoking so please don't take any offence. The written word can be hard.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melibeam
I am irish and in my 30's. I went to catholic schools in Ireland and was thought by Irish nuns and priests and never was I or anyone I know brainwashed to hate the english.

In fact when I left school I moved to London where I met my english husband and lived there happily before moving to Melbourne.

I am not particularly religious but my children attended catholic schools in London (because of there excellent reputation) and are now in catholic schools here in Melbourne and I am very happy with the education they are receiving.

Well apparently they did in Australia for a time. 4 people I knew independent of each other said it happened at their schools, 2 Sydney, 1 Queensland, and the other I don't know.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
I agree Meli, you don't have to be catholic to be anti English. You can also be Scottish.
My husband was Scottish and his mother didn't like them either, LOL. But I'm a mongrel, have Irish, Scottish, English and French in me.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

They do say we evolved from Monkeys, so.... no ... I had better not ...

mmm ... God does have a sense of humour doesn't he/she ?
I wonder why some monkey so called envolved into humans and others remained monkeys etc
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I wonder why some monkey so called envolved into humans and others remained monkeys etc
If you look at President Mugabe of Zimbabwe and ex-President Idi Amin of Uganda you wouldn't need to ask that question.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NedKelly
If you look at President Mugabe of Zimbabwe and ex-President Idi Amin of Uganda you wouldn't need to ask that question.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

THEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NAC
What is it about the Christian faith or Catholicism that frightens people so much People are happy to take the 'better' education, 'better facilities' etc of a private Christian or Catholic school but think the downside of it is that their child will be exposed to Christianity. The saddest thing in the UK at the moment is the level of political correctness that prevents any kind of Christianity being displayed at school assembly. Kids grow up now with no spiritual guidance which I think is very sad.
My children will be educated in Catholic schools because I am proud of my faith and I want my children to have an opportunity to learn about that faith with their own friends in the school environment.
Being a Christian or being a Catholic is NOT something to be ashamed of!

Carolyn
Well said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.